cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mattress question

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new gel mattress for the TC. But will it freeze up if I leave in in there for the winter? There will be no heating in there. :h
14 REPLIES 14

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 10 inch memory foam mattress in our mountain camp. when we get there in freezing temps it takes about an hour to warm up the mattress to the core. We lift it so warm air can run under it.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

JaneSiver
Explorer
Explorer
Personally i do not like a Tempur-Pedics mattress,not good enough quality as for me.
DynastyMattress brand,good choice.
This is good mattress does not lose shape, even at low ground temperatures or unevennesses.
JS

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gaetan wrote:
I have a 6" memory foam and when it is cold it gets quite hard but it does not take long to soften
When you put the heat on.
But don't think you can flip the matres over, even to take ir out it is quite a job and it take two to fold it
And slide it out
Gaetan

These comments match my experience. My 8 inch mattress gets hard and stiff in the cold but it warms up pretty quickly. When the temps are cold, we have a couple of oversized hot water bottles. A few minutes is all that it takes to warm up. The mattress is heavy and fits into a space with footlockers on both sides.

To flip it I would need to muscle it out of the camper, turn it over and then get it back into the pocket. That is quite a feat as I remember from first installing the mattress years ago. I have never tried to flip it and in fact it has 2 layers, one is a top with softer memory foam and the other a bottom with a dense foam.

Gaetan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6" memory foam and when it is cold it gets quite hard but it does not take long to soften
When you put the heat on.
But don't think you can flip the matres over, even to take ir out it is quite a job and it take two to fold it
And slide it out
Gaetan
Gaetan St-Hilaire
2004 silverado 4/4 2500HD long box Duramax/Allison
2003 everest 323k
2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd

Siletzspey
Explorer
Explorer
I see no evidence that freezing hurts the memory foam, but I do know that memory foam has much thermal mass, and can be slow to warm and soften up. On our house Tempur-Pedics, they were delivered cold from a warehouse, and the delivery crew was spot on when they said it would take days for the mattress to warm and soften. Googling just now, I saw an RVer say their 3" pad was taking 5-6 hours to soften from rock hard.

--SiletzSpey

Optimistic_Para
Explorer
Explorer
I believe memory foam mattresses are not 100% memory foam all the way through. Usually, they are a layer of memory foam bonded to a thicker layer of regular foam. If the memory foam gets too cold to be comfortable, you can usually flip the mattress over and the regular foam will be usable.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any foam mattress will become very stiff when cold. I don't see where that matters. You are not going to use the mattress when the interior temps remain below freezing. Nor will freezing harm the mattress.

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I thought there was some form of a Foil insulation barrier on top of the Carpet under the Campers Mattresses.
We're Sleep Number mattresses fans. They've been in our last few Rv's.
The best sleep ever has been sleeping in the Rv while its raining. Life is better in a camper.

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
They do freeze. Feels like sitting (laying) on a board. But after bringing back up to normal temps they don't seem to suffer any permanent damage.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

pkygola
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using Sleep Master 6-Inch Spring Mattress for six months. I don't have any complaints as of now.

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Actually it is a latex mattress. I got it from Ikea, and it is 6" thick. I like it so far, but if you get one from Ikea that says medium firm, it's a little firmer than that. A little, not like sleeping on a board.

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
adamis wrote:
What thickness did get? I've been thinking about replacing our own spring mattress with a Gel mattress but haven't decided on what thickness to get. I'm actually hoping to go with maybe a six or even four to give some additional overhead space.

Oh, and for your question, it would be good to mention your location. Here in California I would venture to guess that it would not freeze on how (do they even freeze?). Somewhere North in higher altitudes who knows.

I received my Zinus Sleep Master Ultima Comfort Memory Foam 6 Inch Mattress, Queen on Aug 6, 2017. This is website

I like it. So far it is very comfortable. I am 185 pounds. Check back with me in one year for an update. I live in my TC full time. Manual only tells how to take it out of the vacuum sealed bag: NO mention of cold weather.

LeRoy
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
What thickness did get? I've been thinking about replacing our own spring mattress with a Gel mattress but haven't decided on what thickness to get. I'm actually hoping to go with maybe a six or even four to give some additional overhead space.

Oh, and for your question, it would be good to mention your location. Here in California I would venture to guess that it would not freeze on how (do they even freeze?). Somewhere North in higher altitudes who knows.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Read the mattress manual.