cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum payload question

leopardhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Hoping someone can explain something to me... If you go to this Ford website, 2017 Ford® Super Duty F350 Platinum Truck | Model Highlights | Ford.com and scroll down about 3/4 of the way, you will see the "Maximum Payload Package Selector (lbs.)" section.

Scrolling down through that section to the F-350 SRW 4X4, and looking in the column for the Crew Cab, I cannot understand why the vehicle with a GVWR of 11,300 lbs. would have a payload that is 640 lbs. HIGHER than the vehicle with a GVWR of 11,400 lbs.!! I don't get it...maybe 'cause I haven't been around trucks all that much?

Does anyone here have any input, comments, advice, an explanation...?

Thanks!

Mark
20 REPLIES 20

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Max GVWR for 6.2 is 11,300.
Max GVWR for 6.7 is 11,500.

The extra weight of the diesel is the reason for the payload discrepancy.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

leopardhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, thanks for all the quick replies! I did not think of that, gs vs. diesel, and it surprises me that Ford would actually not clarify that on the web page...

Thanks again, I think I will also speak to the Ford dealer tomorrow and see if I can't get an explanation directly from them... I will post my findings here if anyone is interested.

Mark

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
It took a while to find what you are referring to, but without really digging into it it's likely that the 11300 GVWR CCSB configuration is with a gas engine and the 11400 GVWR is diesel. The diesel engine is much heavier, so the gas version would have a higher payload despite a slightly lower GVWR.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
Gas engine rather than diesel engine would be my guess.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like the long bed has a base weight 230 pounds more than a short bed. Also the higher GVWR could be given to the diesel that also weighs more. Basically the slight change in GVWR and payload is based on other options and the additional weight of that option.

leopardhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, the website didn't append properly... here it is below...

http://www.ford.com/trucks/super-duty/2017/models/f350-platinum/

Mark