cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mice

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
Whats the best mouse deterrent? i tried mouse poison and it worked but now I'm finding dead mice. One climbed into the hood of a jacket and died. Oh the smell. Can't find how they got into the travel trailer.
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna
24 REPLIES 24

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
Peppermint oil, dryer sheets, moth balls...nothing works.
You don't want mice? Seal up your trailer empty ALL food and if there is a sign of mice, set a trap.
Don't set a trap baited with food unless you can be there to check the trailer regularly. The food on the trap will attract the mice.

As for the other stuff, have a search of my posts on this. People have posted pictures of mice in a trap right beside cab fresh. Mice have frequently used dryer sheets for nesting material.
I did an experiment with mice and peppermint oil (yes the good kind) and it didn't bother them at all. They walked over it to get to food.
Sorry, but all the stories of the success with these methods is just plain luck.
You can't prove a negative.
Kinda like putting garden stones in my trailer, and then having no mice. Can I declare garden stones good mice deterrents?:)

Well said
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Peppermint oil, dryer sheets, moth balls...nothing works.
You don't want mice? Seal up your trailer empty ALL food and if there is a sign of mice, set a trap.
Don't set a trap baited with food unless you can be there to check the trailer regularly. The food on the trap will attract the mice.

As for the other stuff, have a search of my posts on this. People have posted pictures of mice in a trap right beside cab fresh. Mice have frequently used dryer sheets for nesting material.
I did an experiment with mice and peppermint oil (yes the good kind) and it didn't bother them at all. They walked over it to get to food.
Sorry, but all the stories of the success with these methods is just plain luck.
You can't prove a negative.
Kinda like putting garden stones in my trailer, and then having no mice. Can I declare garden stones good mice deterrents?:)
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
"best deterrent" seems to vary

This may be worth a look

peppermint oil

Last year we used the following in our seasonal location:

Fresh Cab in the sheds
Peppermint oil infused mixture
Dryer sheets in the drawers of the camper
Poison outside
Traps outside

We did catch several mice in the traps (and it was a bad year for mice) but none seemed to make it into the camper itself. Our park model has a metal sheathed underbelly, so I sealed any entry points I could find.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Budman1962 wrote:
Whats the best mouse deterrent?

A mouse (or mice) got into 2 of 5 furnace ducts in our previous KZ Spree one winter and the smell when I first fired up the furnace in the spring was horrible. Cleaning the affected ducts was ineffective so I had to replace them completely. Since then I always keep a few Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent pouches in our trailer year round and haven't had any issues since. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

westend
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Not mice, but we have chipmunks so this year we are trying the peppermint route, "Fresh Cab" packets initially and refortified with a dropper of real peppermint oil every month. Will see if that works.

Larry
Chipmunks won't live inside a trailer or a house. They live and over-winter in a den they make underground. They will dive inside anywhere and search out a food they smell. Sunflower seeds and peanuts are two of their favorites. Red squirrels will over-winter in a building. I have a terrible time keeping them out of my yard barn.

At one time, we had pet chipmunks, really a great pet. They are amusing eating peanuts and become accustom to people readily. They depart in the Fall and reappear in the Spring. Now, we have cats, one of nature's most adept predators. There is no rodent within a half mile that is truly safe.

Any kind of cloth or spun material (dryer sheets) is just good nest making material. I've had mice make nests in spun fiberglass, something most people find irritating on the first touch.

Peppermint may be a deterrent and Paradichlorobenzene (old style mothballs) may definitely work but if I have a mice problem, I would be trapping. I use snap traps because they last forever and are a proven remedy. I don't like to use poisons nor sniffing benzene. They are enough harmful substances around me, I don't need to add to the mix.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some years we have mice some years we do not. I have never found a mouse or a nest but plenty of droppings.

Only mediocre results with dryer sheets etc.

I long ago became convinced that mice can walk through walls.

We remove all edibles from the TT and clean all surfaces but some years they still come in for a look around.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Dennis12 wrote:
Put two cats in your unit.no food. Check and replace the cats every two weeks.
Just kidding cat lovers

Now THATS funny! And we have a cat!

Rubber_Ducky1
Explorer
Explorer
When I close up our camper for the winter, I put moth balls in several corners inside the camper. I've done this for over 20 years and no mice in our different campers. I did this after I had mice get in our very first travel trailer which did not have moth balls in it.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Put two cats in your unit.no food. Check and replace the cats every two weeks.
Just kidding cat lovers
Dennis Hoppert

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Put the poison OUTSIDE the enclosure to be protected, in tamper resistant bait stations. The chunk baits that go in those act quickly enough that they are highly unlikely to find their way inside.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Budman1962
Explorer
Explorer
I think the dryer sheets I tried were arm and hammer. Didn't work
2000 F250 V10
2006 Aljo 25ft.
1998 Yamaha GP1200
2000 Polaris Genesis
1994 Kawasaki St750
2006 Polaris X2
1986 Honda Magna

T-tom
Explorer
Explorer
I know the peppermint works but last winter I used bonce fabric softener and had no mice at all. But that could of been just luck to?

T-tom
Explorer
Explorer
I also use the peppermint to get rid of the mice in my house and trailer works like a charm.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
We use Bounce fabric softners. I place the little sheets in all the drawers, under the bed, cargo area, under couch, and under both sinks. Works. I do not have any mice. The one time I did not use them, I had to trap two mice. It has to be bounce and not the cheap stuff. It also keeps the RV smelling nice.
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington