cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

mold on canvas

stuc
Explorer
Explorer
anyone got any suggestions on removing mold stains on tent trailer canvas.looks like previous owner cleaned up serious mold problem but stains are still there.waterproofing must be gong because the canvas leaked during one of our heavy downpours.
15 REPLIES 15

docnascar
Explorer
Explorer
Just found out about this stuff. Seems to get great reviews, but I've never used it. I am thinking about getting some for my awning on my TT and my back patio.

Wet and Forget

Wet and Forget video Mute the music, its annoying!
Tow Vehicle
2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
6.0L gas. Double Cab

Travel Trailer
2020 Grand Design 2400BH

Campinut
Explorer
Explorer
Sunbrellaยฎ Fabric Cleaning
Sunbrellaยฎ fabric should be cleaned regularly before substances such as dirt, particles, etc. are allowed to accumulate and become embedded in the fabric. Hose off fabrics on at least a monthly basis with clear water to avoid accumulation.
If you take down your canvas during the winter season, you should clean it, allow it to air dry, and store it in a well-ventilated area.

If you need to do a vigorous cleaning, you can do this once every two or three years depending on how quickly your canvas gets dirty (more if it is up year round and less if you take it down in the winter). The fabric can be cleaned without removing it from the frame or boat. Simply brush off any loose dirt, particles, etc.; hose down and clean it with a mild, natural soap such as a liquid dish soap (not a detergent) in lukewarm (not hot!) water, and use a soft bristled brush to clean. Let the soap sink in. Rinse the canvas thoroughly to remove all of the soap. Air dry.

If you have very stubborn stains you can use diluted chlorine bleach and soap mixture (no more that ยฝ cup of bleach and ยผ cup mild, natural soap (not a detergent) per gallon of warm (not hot) water. Use a soft bristled brush to clean and let the mixture soak for 15 minutes or so if necessary. Rinse the canvas thoroughly with cold water to remove all of the bleach and soap. Air dry. Excessive soaking in bleach will can deteriorate threads, so be sure to get your canvas restitched if necessary.

Sometimes a thorough cleaning will remove part of the water repellency that your canvas came with. After the canvas is cleaned and dry, you can reapply an air-curing treatment such as 303 Fabric Guardยฎ or Aqua-Titeยฎ.

When you clean Sunbrellaยฎ fabrics, always use a mild, natural soap (like dishsoap) and never a detergent. Do not use HOT water (never more that 100*), and do not apply heat since it will shrink the fabric. Do not steam press or dry in a dryer. Always make sure that the Sunbrellaยฎ is completely air dried.

If you have a small cover and you use a washing machine to wash the fabric, do not use a detergent and wash and rinse using cold water. Do NOT use the dryer or your Sunbrellaยฎ fabric will shrink. Always air dry. You will need to reapply a water repellant after using a washing machine.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe mildew stains can be removed but not mold. The mold actually eats into the material causing the discoloration. Since it's not a stain that's on top of the material, it can't be washed away. The stain is inside the material from the mold eating into it.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
If you are allergic to mold like I am, you may want to just replace all of the canvas. Bear Creek Canvas is said to be an excellent replacement and is only a bit over a grand for most campers.

I wouldn't buy any camper with signs of mold, but then again, I have an allergy.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
I sent them an email. We'll see.

It does appear you can order from their website directly (which is what I did) and have it shipped to Canada. I can't imagine the shipping is cheap, though.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

stuc
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if this losso mold and mildew stain remover is available in Canada?

ghostrider421
Explorer
Explorer
We've used all the above methods, and eventually replaced the canvas at great cost.
Capt Phillip & Mattie
Guyana - 2013-2019 Dodge 1500, Lance camper - SOLD
Brasil - 2019 > 12m work boat conversion - leased out
Panana - 1976 > 16m Skookum ketch

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not use any bleach-based cleaner on the canvas or vinyl portions of a PUP. While it does take care of the mold on the surface, the area still contains spores and is more likely to grow mold faster when moist conditions are reintroduced. When researching this for myself previously, too many sites explained why killing mold on porous surfaces does not eliminate mold. See here for one source.

A brief exposure to bleach will help shorten the overall life of the materials. Even with a lot of water, you will not be able to flush all of it off of the canvas. You would need to remove the canvas and rinse it vigorously to remove all of the bleach. Bleach is a base and is slick when contact is made. Personal experience of having bleach on my hands has shown me that it takes an incredible amount of water to remove it to the point skin no longer feels slick. It takes even more water to reduce the odor. Unless rinsing with something like a power sprayer, some residue will be left even if it is diluted. This is the portion that accelerates the slow deterioration in the long term.

Instead, use a mold cleaner specific for vinyl and canvas.

I have personally used Iosso Mold and Mildew Stain Remover with great success. It is biodegradable, non-chlorine and is odor free. I mixed the powder per the instructions with water, applied it with a small paint brush, let it sit, rinsed it lightly and blotted dry with a towel.

I had no further recurrence of mold, especially after resuming vigilance over ensuring everything is completely dry before putting it away for good.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Dollar General stores. Works great
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When we had our pop-up we just used a very mild bleach water solution and a scrubbie of some kind. Yes, it took time, but we always kept the mold at bay. After cleaning, we made sure it was always rinsed well, and dried. We treated the canvas with water repellant (like for tents) twice. We owned the PUP for 6 years.

You might try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Make it wet, but not dripping, then just wipe once, let stand for about 10 seconds and wipe it again the second time. This works magnificant for our awning. Yes, it's a little work, but Mr. Clean also has a mold retardant in it that prevents mold from coming back. I clean the awning 1 time a year (in the spring) and when I put the camper up in the fall, it's still clean. Over the winter, it get's black and dirty. Never did figure out how that happens with a rolled up awning. But in the Spring, one cleaning with Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it's good to go again. We've never sprayed the awning on the TT.

Explorer
Explorer
(Mold Armor) Can be found @ Home Depot and many others. I can assure you that when you spray it on the mold will roll off.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

stuc
Explorer
Explorer
When u say mild soap,do you mean dish soap or laundry?

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
If you go the vinegar route, make sure it is the white kind, and only try it on a very small area as vinegar is a very very weak acid.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

stuc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks,has anyone heard of using vinegar and water