cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nash or Lance

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious. I'm wondering which most people would prefer, generally speaking.
I tend to lean toward the Nash between these two due to a video ad I saw for the Lance.
The spokesperson specifically pointed out the cutouts on the frame, and said that these frames are stronger and lighter because of these frame cutouts. I get the lighter but seriously doubt that removing material from the main frame of a TT is going to make it stronger. Especially considering the shock they get on or off the road. Of course you have to consider the source...lol
32 REPLIES 32

sunshdw
Explorer
Explorer
I went back n forth between the Lance 2385 and the Nash 23D and ultimately chose the Nash because it is heavier duty, I loved the open floor plan feel and the bathroom is much bigger/better. Towing with my 1/2 is no problem either btw
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 EcoDiesel Bighorn
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard good things about lance. But, I don't like any of there TT layouts.

Steve_911
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your comments. They are much appreciated...

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
mwebber78 wrote:
Simple, want a light weight well built unit? Buy a Lance.

Want a heavy framed 4-season unit for full timing? Buy the Nash.

X2.

Would add to that:

Want a smaller tow vehicle, buy a Lance.

Want a larger tow vehicle, buy a Nash.

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
Simple, want a light weight well built unit? Buy a Lance.

Want a heavy framed 4-season unit for full timing? Buy the Nash.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
For me it would depend upon my tow vehicle .
If you have a half ton the Lance will be amore likely choice .
If you have 3 /4 ton then the Nash is a good choice .
The Nash , Arctic Fox , and Komfort brands tend to be built on a taller , heavier frame than other brands .
Because they are built in Oregon where dry camping / real boondocking is popular there is a good market for the heavier built trailers .
Plus folks in Oregon and Washington often buy a higher percentage of 3 /4 ton pickups than the east coast city dwellers .
A higher payload pickup is necessary to haul a Nash /AF/ Komfort because the tanks are bigger and the tongue weights are heavier in actual practice . Plus we have the mighty Cascade Mountain Range to camp in and this requires more braking power that the 3 /4 ton pickup has .
All three are better than average .

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I do like the Nash/Arctic Fox/Northwood ability to have a usable inbuilt generator, although a propane genset does guzzle the gas bottles pretty quickly.

If I had to go for one or the other... well, the choice is pretty moot, I'd go with the Lance because there are no dealers for Nash in Texas, while Princess Craft north of Round Rock has a good selection of Lance products.

Nancy_and_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Proteus wrote:
Well, now that we're finishing up two weeks in a Nash 25c tomorrow, I can tell you I won't be buying it, and will look at the Lance on my short list. The Nash is simply heavier than it needs to be..and bouncier on the road. Might be a fine tow for a bouncy truck, but not an SUV. It's not aerodynamic either. That being said, it's well built, has great interior storage, decent insulation. Bunks and toilet were very small, and the slide isn't very deep, but I think the Lance bunkhouse has similar issues with the toilet/bunks. Living in the PNW, I'm also scared of wood, and the water and rot issues that come with it. Azdel and modern construction techniques are more appealing. Will be looking at the Coachmen Freedom express for the same reason.

How do you go about trying a trailer without buying it? Do dealers allow this?

Thanks
Nancy

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
mark1228 wrote:
I beg to differ. I have operated an RV service shop for 13 years, I own a trailer made with Azdel(not because of the Azdel, just because that is what is used). When a laminated wall delams, it is incredibly difficult to repair regardless of whether there is Azdel or luan in the wall. Very few RV repair shops can do this repair because we don't have the lamination equipment or buildings to do it in. When you have a wood studded wall with with luan/fiberglass hung it is a repair we can do in our shop. When we get a laminated wall, it usually has to be returned to the manufacturer for repair.

In my experience there is no difference in the % of delam between an Azdel wall or any other side wall.

Disagree all you want but an Azdel layed up properly on a wall and is pinch rolled probably isn't going to delaminate. The way Lance does it is in a climate controlled room also has a lot to do with the 'non delamination" issues!

Until people start buying superior materials, your shop will have plenty of business!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
I nearly chocked on my coffee when you compared the Freedom Express to the Nash. Good luck with that.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

Proteus
Explorer
Explorer
Well, now that we're finishing up two weeks in a Nash 25c tomorrow, I can tell you I won't be buying it, and will look at the Lance on my short list. The Nash is simply heavier than it needs to be..and bouncier on the road. Might be a fine tow for a bouncy truck, but not an SUV. It's not aerodynamic either. That being said, it's well built, has great interior storage, decent insulation. Bunks and toilet were very small, and the slide isn't very deep, but I think the Lance bunkhouse has similar issues with the toilet/bunks. Living in the PNW, I'm also scared of wood, and the water and rot issues that come with it. Azdel and modern construction techniques are more appealing. Will be looking at the Coachmen Freedom express for the same reason.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
NASH!
Bob

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
WoodGlue wrote:
Having a leak within a wall that is manufactured with 2" block foam insulation sandwiched between Azdel is a LOT easier to deal with than say, a leak in a wall with wood studs, and R-7 house insulation w/ luaun (Nash/Arctic Fox construction)

The incidence of delamination w/ walls layed up with Azdel and pinched rolled are almost too insignificant to mention.

WoodGlue

I beg to differ. I have operated an RV service shop for 13 years, I own a trailer made with Azdel(not because of the Azdel, just because that is what is used). When a laminated wall delams, it is incredibly difficult to repair regardless of whether there is Azdel or luan in the wall. Very few RV repair shops can do this repair because we don't have the lamination equipment or buildings to do it in. When you have a wood studded wall with with luan/fiberglass hung it is a repair we can do in our shop. When we get a laminated wall, it usually has to be returned to the manufacturer for repair.

In my experience there is no difference in the % of delam between an Azdel wall or any other side wall.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Having a leak within a wall that is manufactured with 2" block foam insulation sandwiched between Azdel is a LOT easier to deal with than say, a leak in a wall with wood studs, and R-7 house insulation w/ luaun (Nash/Arctic Fox construction)

The incidence of delamination w/ walls layed up with Azdel and pinched rolled are almost too insignificant to mention.

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer