cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

need a battery charger

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
I need a battery charger for my 6volts. Any suggestions?
I've heard the Schumacher brand is decent and have seen reviews of the SC-10030 A model. It seems to be decent, but with anything some bad reviews also. Any suggestions from the pros? Thanks!
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.
18 REPLIES 18

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

Why does folks do the hard things..

Sometimes it is because they actually know what they are doing.

While it won't "kill" them, a conventional wet cell battery should not sit more than 60 days unattended, even if disconnected. The self discharge will promote greater sulphating and the older the battery, the more pronounced. Their useful life will be shortened.

That caution does NOT apply to an AGM battery, which should be just fine sitting for 6 months.....if fully charged going in.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Pretty much any trailer built AFTER the 1990s WILL have a 3 stage converter.

Not true. The manufacturers will skrimp to save a few pennies whenever they can, especially on the lower end units.
Mine was built in 2007 and has a single stage converter.

Don't ASSume.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I bought on from Harbor Freight and carry in the P/U. I own two of these and have never had any problems, the solve my problems and charge the batteries..
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

tplife
Explorer
Explorer
Schumacher chargers are fine, we've used several of them for nearly 20 years for the AGM battery, Harley, and stored vehicle. More money gets you a higher charging Amp rating. Inside, all of these chargers are probably of very similar construction, with cosmetic differences on the outside.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
smkettner wrote:
And are you going to remove the batteries in winter?
Or are you going to just leave the RV plugged in?

Does it matter?

If one was to disconnect the batteries (assuming that they have been fully charged at the end of season) they WILL be fine to store IN THE RV for at least 3-4 months without the need for any charging.

Any half decent battery should be able to sit 4-6 months without any charging needed due to self discharge rates IF the battery has been disconnected from the RV (from phantom current draws). EVEN IN THE WINTER the batteries will be safe as long as they are CHARGED they will not freeze!

OR, IF the RV is equipped with a 3 stage converter, the storage mode is SAFE ENOUGH to allow you to keep the batteries connected to the RV AND run the converter 24/7 without excessive water use.

Why does folks do the hard things..

To me, lifting and carrying two 6V GC batteries is a lot of heavy hard work..

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
And are you going to remove the batteries in winter?
Or are you going to just leave the RV plugged in?

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
TerryandKim wrote:
I need a battery charger for my 6volts. Any suggestions?
I've heard the Schumacher brand is decent and have seen reviews of the SC-10030 A model. It seems to be decent, but with anything some bad reviews also. Any suggestions from the pros? Thanks!

I have the Schumacher PSC-12500A, it is an excellent charger, it also has a de-sulfate mode

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with those who say your existing travel trailer will be more than adequate to charge your batteries.

I also second Roy Braddes comment about the VEC-1093DBD. We haul a portabote with us and use a trolling motor with it. I need to recharge that battery almost every day. The Black and Decker charger does a good job of getting it back up to charge. Some people have had problems with the fan motor going out on this unit, but so far I've been lucky.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
PGCruisers wrote:
Terryandkim,

After purchasing our first trailer I would leave the 12 volt battery on the unit 365 days a year. It died in less than 3 years. I replaced it with 2-6 volt batteries. During the winter and extended non use, I would store them in the garage hooked up to a "BATTERY TENDER". 7 years later when we traded up, the batteries were still in good working order.
The new rig has 2-12 volt batteries. I still bring them home and put them on the charger to prolong their life.

With newer 3 stage converters there IS NO REASON to remove your batteries at all. Pretty much any trailer built AFTER the 1990s WILL have a 3 stage converter.

3 stage converters have a STORAGE mode which drops the output voltage to 13.2V. The converter can adjust the voltage output if there is a load and when no 12V load.. When there is no large current demand the converter drops to storage mode and at that voltage there is very little chance of boiling the batteries dry.

The bigger the battery bank in capacity the less likely you will boil the batteries dry.

I have a PD9160 with the three stage charge wizard pendant and one pair of 6V GC batts. I keep my converter powered 24/7 when not camping. The first 5 yrs on those batteries I did not need to add any water. As the batteries have aged I am adding only 5-6 oz per cell PER YEAR.. And so far the batteries are 10 yrs old.

The OP can post the make and model of converter they have and someone will be able to enlighten them on how the converter works and if it will be fine to leave powered up 24/7.

PGCruisers
Explorer
Explorer
Terryandkim,

After purchasing our first trailer I would leave the 12 volt battery on the unit 365 days a year. It died in less than 3 years. I replaced it with 2-6 volt batteries. During the winter and extended non use, I would store them in the garage hooked up to a "BATTERY TENDER". 7 years later when we traded up, the batteries were still in good working order.
The new rig has 2-12 volt batteries. I still bring them home and put them on the charger to prolong their life.
Mark & Tracy Payne-Grimes
2006 Ford F-150
2005 24 ft. Keystone Cougar
Honda EU2000i
2013 Spoiled Mini Aussie

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
That's Great, thank you! I didn't realize the conv/charger will do that. I was going by what I remember of my parents trailer from the late 70's.
Thanks for schoolin' me! Terry
Thanks for the manual shadow catcher
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the converter and yours should be a 45A WAFCO it should keep your barry charged. However you might want to find out if it is correctly (they have a reputation for failure). A VOM/multi meter is your friend,Here is thee manual. WAFCO manual

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
Golden_HVAC I understood that the on board converter/charger wasn't for charging the batteries up but rather more for maintaining the charge and giving the batteries a little boost while travelling.

Your understanding is wrong.....in most cases.

Your batteries will charge any time you are plugged into shore power.

In most configurations, they will also charge when driving down the road.

In most cases, that is plenty.

It is more important to NOT let the batteries discharge to a low level and then stay that way. They need to be kept charged during non-use or storage and then they are ready to go any time.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
The factory charger / converter on a modern RV will fully charge them and do a great job of not overcharging them.

It was units built before about 1990 that had 'Converters' that are not voltage regulated, and on low voltage input will barely charge the battery. To avoid overcharging they have two circuits, one about 40 amps to run the lights while on shore power, and the other transformer is only 5 amps, just to charge the battery a little while on shore power to avoid overcharging it if the voltage is to high. But they have not been installing this sort of converter in RV's since reliable electronic ones came out in 1989.

Your unit should have come with a 45+ amp converter/charger that is a silver box, and has heavy duty wires running to the battery or 12 volt DC distribution box. It will charge your battery in about 4 hours to 90% full, and fully charge it in around 12 hours, and let it sit between 13.1 and 13.4 volts, regardless of the input voltage (between 95 and 130 volts).

Just check the water level once a month or so, until you get an idea of how often you need to add water. If you need to add water to frequently, then the voltage might be a little to high. But if you need to add 1-2 quarts every three months, it is about average.

Most portable chargers can only put out around 15 or 20 amps. The one listed above is rated at 40 amps full time, and probably cost well over $100. You can get one if you like, but it will be rarely used unless you do a not of dry camping, and don't buy a $200 solar panel rated at 140 watts, to charge it in silence. Solar has become a lot less expensive than in years past. My 120 watt panels cost $429 back in 1999, much less per watt than my pair of 45 watt panels for $750 back in 1994. You could rent a nice sized house for $750 a month back in 94.

Of course only used distilled water in the battery.

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com