cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help finding a TT with these features...

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all

Believe me, I have looked well. I have looked on these forums, and there was a recent thread that was similar, but not quite what I am looking for. I have also looked through different floor plans offered by manufacturers, but I still haven't found the best fit. But maybe all of you know some better options. I would really appreciate the help.

I have a family of 4, 2 young kids, possibly another in the future.
Tow vehicle is 2012 Ram 1500 Crew cab Hemi 3.92, payload 1150 (I know, so low).

Therefore, I am looking to keep the GVWR of the TT around 6500 to 7500.

Other things we want.

-length 26-28
-one slide
-bunks (2 is fine, cause 3 or 4 prob require longer TT)
-a door to the bunkhouse would be a bonus, but I haven't seen many in the 26-28 length that have a door
-seperate room for wife and I, with door preferably. (this seems to be tough with the length I'm looking for)

I'm not picky about brand/make, but I'm not sure which are well made and which aren't, so feedback would be welcome.
32 REPLIES 32

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on the Lance 2185

Here is the floorplan:

A review in Trailer Life:

Feb 2013 Trailer Life

And here is a 2012 video. The salesman knows quite a bit about Lances:

2012 Lance 2185

The reason why Lance is so lightweight is because they don't use wood studs in the walls (They use Azdel) and Lite Ply wood in the interior, the same kind as you would find on a corporate jet.

3,930 Gross Dry Weight
500 Hitch Dry Weight
3,430 Axle Weight
2,070 Cargo Carrying Capacity
6,000 GVWR

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

dacotahkid
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at this camper.

It is a North Trail 28BRS
GVWR: 6900
Hitch Weight : 482
Length: 32'

Also look at the NT 24BHS
GVWR: 6900
Hitch Weight: 550
Lenght: 27'11"

I am in the same boat as my TV is a 2008 Chevy Crew Cab with a 5.3L and 3.73 rear end. I have a payload of 1552 a GVW of 7000 and a GCVW of 13000. I would never be able to load the TV and TT to max or I would go over 13000 but I've ran the #'s multiple ways and think this one will work for me so maybe it will work for you.

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=lightweight&sc=NTTT&i=NT+28BRS&view=floorplans&fcmd=showfplan

pmfinnegan2
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the Jayco Whitehawk line?
pmfinnegan2
2016 Chevrolet Silverado Double Cab
5.3L Vortec V8, 4X4
2018 Jayco JayFlight 29BHDB
Equal-i-zer Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
Goldstalker wrote:
Maybe this?

http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2185/

or

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/sunset-trail/super-lite/floorplans/item/2014-st240bh?category_id=103

That Lance 2185 is nice...dual pane windows and the triple bunk is well thought out.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe this?

http://www.lancecamper.com/travel-trailers/2185/

or

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/sunset-trail/super-lite/floorplans/item/2014-st240bh?category_id=103
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

aarond76
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind some of your tongue weight will be transferred back to the TT axles with a WDH. We have friends with this layout ultra light that we like http://www.keystonervcenter.com/2014-forest-river-salem-cruise-lite-281bhxl-showstopper-new-travel-trailer-pa-i807142

The sizes and weights you are looking at are reasonable for your truck I believe. I would not recommend a non slide unit with a growing family.

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
vesh1717 wrote:
Ok, so I need way more help. I'm starting to really hit a dead end here. I'm trying to find all the features, but if I do, the hitch weight is usually around 700 minimum...and that's dry.

Does a travel trailer exist that meets everything i want, and has a dry hitch weight around 500 to 600? Friggin ram and this low payload...it's really screwing me.

We just picked up an Outback Terrain 250TRS. It's under 28 feet and weighs about 5500 with a tongue weight of 585.

We are planning on hanging a curtain with a compression rod between the pantry and bathroom wall to separate the forward bunk area.

There is also the Outback Terrain 230TRS (27 feet; dry weight 5075; hitch weight 555; partitioned front bunk/toy hauler area):

My neighbors just bought the triple bunk KZ Spree 240BHS which is just a bit over 28 feet. Weight is about 5100 dry with 570 tongue weight.

vesh1717
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so I need way more help. I'm starting to really hit a dead end here. I'm trying to find all the features, but if I do, the hitch weight is usually around 700 minimum...and that's dry.

Does a travel trailer exist that meets everything i want, and has a dry hitch weight around 500 to 600? Friggin ram and this low payload...it's really screwing me.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH.

Here's a link:

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/zinger/floorplans/item/2014-zt28bh

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
vesh1717 wrote:
Hi all
I'm not picky about brand/make, but I'm not sure which are well made and which aren't, so feedback would be welcome.

I suggest you do look very carefully. If you really take time to look at a lot of trailers from different manufacturers, you will see differences in how well they are built and finished. Our final two candidates were a Evergreen trailer and the Winnebago we purchased.

I would also give Jayco products serious consideration because of their two year warranty. I'm not keen on how they put shorter than necessary awnings on many of their lightweight trailers, but they do make a decent trailer, and a two year warranty gives you added protection and time to get any defects corrected.

More importantly, if you are careful with what gear you use and stow in the triler, you can keep the weight down.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
And, another possibility would be the Winnebago Minnie 2451BHS. You should be able to put your gear in that model, along with some food, water, etc. and be 6500 to 6800 lbs. max.

From our search last summer, the Winnebago Minnie line may cost a few more dollars, but the quality is above average.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
ewarnerusa wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
...Where do you store the clothes, towels, and kids stuff in a floor pan like that?...

It is true that our 2710BH could use more closet space. We don't really "unpack" in the TT like a hotel or house, we use more of an "out of a duffel bag" technique. There is nowhere out of the way to hang things from clothes hangers, we get by hanging them from the shelf above the master bed. Plenty of space in the front pass through and under the dinette seats for camping gear and kids toys. There is also storage beneath the bottom bunk and the master bed. I would like to install cabinet doors on the storage beneath the master bed to make for easier access, but I'm not very handy. There is a small cabinet beneath the bathroom sink. Closets are limited to the ones on either side of the master bed. We are used to it and worked with a 13' TT before this one with even less storage space.

Looking at the floorplan of the 2670BHS you posted, it looks like the same storage as our 2710BH with the addition of a pantry. A pantry would be nice.

We currently have a hybrid with a vertical pantry (holds food/towels) and under bunk end clothes storage. I will not get a tt without adequet vertical storage wards( clothes, diapers, bath towels/beach towels. We also carry extra bedding due explosive kids aged 5 and 2.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

STXHUNTER
Explorer
Explorer
Doesnt meet all your needs but its pretty close. Crossroad Z-1 272bh. We have the 271bh and love it but I wish we had the newer model. Those double bunks would make a huge difference for us along with the half door for storage.

www.stoneysrv.com/rv/cambridge.../crossroads.../crossroads+z-1+272bh?Cached
2007 F-150 5.4 Triton V8 FX4
2012 CrossRoads Z-1 271BH
Equal-i-zer Hitch
Primus IQ Brake Control

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
PAThwacker wrote:
...Where do you store the clothes, towels, and kids stuff in a floor pan like that?...

It is true that our 2710BH could use more closet space. We don't really "unpack" in the TT like a hotel or house, we use more of an "out of a duffel bag" technique. There is nowhere out of the way to hang things from clothes hangers, we get by hanging them from the shelf above the master bed. Plenty of space in the front pass through and under the dinette seats for camping gear and kids toys. There is also storage beneath the bottom bunk and the master bed. I would like to install cabinet doors on the storage beneath the master bed to make for easier access, but I'm not very handy. There is a small cabinet beneath the bathroom sink. Closets are limited to the ones on either side of the master bed. We are used to it and worked with a 13' TT before this one with even less storage space.

Looking at the floorplan of the 2670BHS you posted, it looks like the same storage as our 2710BH with the addition of a pantry. A pantry would be nice.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen