cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on flooring

tdehoff
Explorer
Explorer
Purchased a used Shamrock 23' in Novemeber just before winter arrived It was in good shape when we closed it up for the winter. Went out this weekend to open it up and found that the vinyl flooring has split open at one end of the unit. Looked and saw no moisture anywhere on the subfloor so I ruled out moisture causing the problem. So I have two questions can the feezing and thawing over winter cause the flooring to split like this? We live in Iowa so it can get cold. 2nd Question is what is the proper way to replace the vinyl flooring?

Thanks for you advice and help.
4 REPLIES 4

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Cold cracking is common. The factory flooring was probably installed before the walls so to remove it you would need to cut around the perimeter of the trailer. The new vinyl will be installed similar to how your house flooring is installed so you will need to purchase moldings to cover the edge of the flooring where it meets the wall.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
tdehoff wrote:
Purchased a used Shamrock 23' in Novemeber just before winter arrived It was in good shape when we closed it up for the winter. Went out this weekend to open it up and found that the vinyl flooring has split open at one end of the unit. Looked and saw no moisture anywhere on the subfloor so I ruled out moisture causing the problem. So I have two questions can the feezing and thawing over winter cause the flooring to split like this? We live in Iowa so it can get cold. 2nd Question is what is the proper way to replace the vinyl flooring?

Thanks for you advice and help.

We hear this every Spring.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Many rigs are made with cheap vinyl flooring held in place with perimeter glue --- they are prone to splitting especially in temperature extremes. I don't think you did anything wrong - common problem.

Many bite the bullet and remove the vinyl and cheapo carpet and replace with something like Allure flooring - easy to install and not very expensive. Lots of threads the subject.
Kevin

bovellois
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess more vinyl flooring. When you will take the old flooring, you'll have a chance to see whether the plywood floor is damaged too.

To your second question, It's the same as in a house. Follow this link for more info.
Bruno, Carol, Thierry and Julien
Sankei the fox terrier
Starla the Gordon setter
97 Dodge 2500 4x QC diesel
2006 ROO19