cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help w/ new awning installation

DIYConvert
Explorer
Explorer
My RV used to have a Solera Classic Awning where the arms were secured with special hardware at the top and bottom. I want to upgrade to the Solera Hybrid Awning where the arms are secured directly to the side of the RV. One online site said in the product description "Used For: Coaches With Straight Sides." However, the manufacturer (Lippert/Solara) doesn't seem to specify this restriction. The arms have several mounting holes so you can choose the best ones for your particular RV. My issues are (1) my RV siding is corrugated and (2) I’m not sure where the wood frame is behind the siding to know which holes to use to support the screws. I read an online post about an option where you can attach the arms with rivets instead of screws but I think I need more support for the rivet than just the aluminum siding. The Lippert support desk person I spoke to mentioned that some people first attach a strip of sheet metal to the side of the RV to better support the awning arm. Any advice on my best options for attaching the awning arms to the side of my RV?
3 REPLIES 3

rctour
Explorer
Explorer
My first request for help, with regards to were the studs are, would be to contact the manufacturer. I have a Lance TT which has aluminum studs, with a 20 foot awning that all together is really heavy and needs good support.
2017.5 Lance 2295
2021 Silverado Duramax

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You are right, rivets would be a bad idea. You should be able to find supports on the sides, but if the Hybrid version awning uses arms like most electric awnings, it would not look right on that siding. It would be harder to caulk/seal on a corrugated surface.

Jerry

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Just from looking at the picture I would say you have a frame at the back corner, either side of the door and windows and front corner. Maybe one in between the two windows.