cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NEW, 30a plug starting to melt

Stephen777
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have a 2011 Hornet Hideout. We was down at the lake in a 30amp spot for about a week or maybe more. I am a 100% disabled OEF Veteran due to an IED. So when we go camping, we don't pay attention to how long we are there.
But like I was saying, my 30 amp plug was very hot and started to melt around 2 of the prongs. We are set to go back starting tomorrow for a couple more weeks but I am worried about my TT burning down on us. I bought this extension looking cord to convert my 30amp plug into a 50amp. Should I try a 50amp site? Is it possible for my wife and I to change the main plug to 50amp? The prongs looked fine.
Shouldn't the fuses in the park box have tripped instead of starting to cook my plug?
21 REPLIES 21

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

If voltage is low consider an autoformer.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The issue was most likely a low voltage situation and the parks worn out system. Change the melted plug out and try the 30x50 adapter on the 50A side and search for a CG that cares about their facilities.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

leftybj
Explorer
Explorer
First and foremost, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO YOUR COUNTRY!!!!!
Now, I have set up in campgrounds where the 30 amp socket is old, loose, worn, and sometimes look like they have been really hot at some point. If this is the case I use a 50 to 30 adapter as those sockets are usually in better shape. I am not saying this will cure your problem but it is one thing that can cause excessive heat at the plugin. Might as well eliminate that one.

Good Luck.

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
I would bet if you look at every camper in a park all the 30 amp plugs have gotten hot and melted some plastic on the plug. I put a brand new plug end and a brand new receptacle and with in a week the plug had gotten hot and melted a bit,100F degree days and a/c running full speed draws alot of power.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check your wiring in your breaker box it could be loose make sure the ac is clean draws less. Make sure when yiou lug it in the plug is tight

Stephen777
Explorer
Explorer
Also. At night we had a 32" and a 26" tv flat panel running. 1 xbox and 1 ps3....and the air conditioner of course. But when we unplugged and the plug was hot, none of that was on.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the cord may have been from the campground receptacle. Many of them see abuse and if the contacts in the receptacle get loose, there is added resistance at your cord plug. You could certainly try a 30 amp->50 amp adaptor and see if that helps.

Good luck and thanks for serving!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton