cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Hummer has crazy good specs. 1000 HP and 1150 torque.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Cut and paste from the article. Wow. Just wow.

1,000 horsepowers
11,500 pound feet of torque
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
0 to 60 mph acceleration in 3 seconds
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

Hereโ€™s a link.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/29/gmc-hummer-electric-pickup-new-pictures-features/
41 REPLIES 41

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Reisender wrote:

And for those who value the distance game that will continue to be an advantage. But for those who donโ€™t spend 8 hours a day towing and just want to go fishing with the trailer in tow the EV tow vehicle will have a ton of advantages...

I don't spend 8 hours a day towing and it still won't work for me. Most people around here have to travel at least an hour and a half to get to a good fishing lake or two and a half hours to get to the coast to go bay fishing. Many people around here also take their RV's to the coast every summer as well which is two and a half to three and a half hours depending on which part of the Texas coast you are going. Then there is the fact that many of us travel three to five hours down to the valley/border areas to hunt and many camp houses do not have electricity.

There is also the fact that most ranchers in south Texas are weekend ranchers that live in the city yet have cattle many miles away on property that was handed down to them over generations. Our farm/ranch in 45 minutes away from where I live and if I have to take cattle to the auction then that is another 30 minutes away towing a 7k+ cattle trailer. Not to mention all of the idle time while trying to get the cattle rounded up and don't dare tell me that we should turn the vehicle off in 100+ heat. This is common here in my part of Texas.

So I don't tow 8 hours a day and never have yet it still won't work for me unless it either has a 500 empty/400 towing mile range, can take spare batteries with me, or I can charge it in minutes at a fuel station.

Sounds like it wouldnโ€™t work for you. But for many I think it would. 300 miles towing would be more than adequate for many, including us. There are hundreds of camping and fishing spots around here that would be accessible for us under those conditions. Iโ€™m sure there will be EV tow vehicles that will be able to do 300 miles towing a 7000 pound trailer.

The telsa cyber truck will not do close to 300 miles towing, it does like 300 miles normally. 300 miles towing 7k pounds is not in the technology's capabilities now. I highly doubt the chevy will do anything more then that. In the future maybe, if they get battery tec better , or cheaper and lighter . But now thats basicly a flying car. Yes , i know they have them also.

I donโ€™t think they have published any towing distances for the Cybertruck. Regardless. Sooner or later there will be EVโ€™s that can tow 300 miles. Why??? Cause there is a market for it.

You are correct, but the same system was used in the towing of the tesla sedan, if you do the calculations ot wasn't good. And there trailer wasn't that big. I did them a while back, off the top of my head it drained the battery a lot faster. And that was a real life test. Expect simmiler results from the truck.
Yes it will get better as the batteries get bigger , but now that we basicly made the whole undercarage a battery, the new ones need to be more efficient. They ran out of space. Just stating what i see, i wanted to buy one but had to get something i could atually use. Soon. But not now.

Itโ€™ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Reisender wrote:

And for those who value the distance game that will continue to be an advantage. But for those who donโ€™t spend 8 hours a day towing and just want to go fishing with the trailer in tow the EV tow vehicle will have a ton of advantages...

I don't spend 8 hours a day towing and it still won't work for me. Most people around here have to travel at least an hour and a half to get to a good fishing lake or two and a half hours to get to the coast to go bay fishing. Many people around here also take their RV's to the coast every summer as well which is two and a half to three and a half hours depending on which part of the Texas coast you are going. Then there is the fact that many of us travel three to five hours down to the valley/border areas to hunt and many camp houses do not have electricity.

There is also the fact that most ranchers in south Texas are weekend ranchers that live in the city yet have cattle many miles away on property that was handed down to them over generations. Our farm/ranch in 45 minutes away from where I live and if I have to take cattle to the auction then that is another 30 minutes away towing a 7k+ cattle trailer. Not to mention all of the idle time while trying to get the cattle rounded up and don't dare tell me that we should turn the vehicle off in 100+ heat. This is common here in my part of Texas.

So I don't tow 8 hours a day and never have yet it still won't work for me unless it either has a 500 empty/400 towing mile range, can take spare batteries with me, or I can charge it in minutes at a fuel station.

Sounds like it wouldnโ€™t work for you. But for many I think it would. 300 miles towing would be more than adequate for many, including us. There are hundreds of camping and fishing spots around here that would be accessible for us under those conditions. Iโ€™m sure there will be EV tow vehicles that will be able to do 300 miles towing a 7000 pound trailer.

The telsa cyber truck will not do close to 300 miles towing, it does like 300 miles normally. 300 miles towing 7k pounds is not in the technology's capabilities now. I highly doubt the chevy will do anything more then that. In the future maybe, if they get battery tec better , or cheaper and lighter . But now thats basicly a flying car. Yes , i know they have them also.

I donโ€™t think they have published any towing distances for the Cybertruck. Regardless. Sooner or later there will be EVโ€™s that can tow 300 miles. Why??? Cause there is a market for it.

You are correct, but the same system was used in the towing of the tesla sedan, if you do the calculations ot wasn't good. And there trailer wasn't that big. I did them a while back, off the top of my head it drained the battery a lot faster. And that was a real life test. Expect simmiler results from the truck.
Yes it will get better as the batteries get bigger , but now that we basicly made the whole undercarage a battery, the new ones need to be more efficient. They ran out of space. Just stating what i see, i wanted to buy one but had to get something i could atually use. Soon. But not now.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
free radical wrote:
Reisender wrote:

1,000 horsepowers
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

Hereโ€™s a link.

https://electrek.co/2020/07/29/gmc-hummer-electric-pickup-new-pictures-features/

GM sure makes lot o promises and exagerated claims while Tesla is eatin their lunch

Ive been drivin Chevy for many years but Tesla Cybrtrk will be my next truck
Hummer looks way too ugly plus they have no SCharger network

Also aerodynamics play big role in geting good mpg/range
Make a truck like the old Holden UTE and I might be interested

https://youtu.be/whoAXWlbUSg

Itโ€™s true that GM doesnโ€™t seem to be paying attention to Aerodynamics. At this point they seem to be only planning annual production of 10,000 to 30,000 vehicles so not really a serious effort. No word on wether theyโ€™ll keep producing the bolt which has seen sales fall below 20,000 units. At some point they will have to mass produce an EV but no one knows what that will be right now.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

1,000 horsepowers
Open air infinity roof
Modular sky panels
Adrenaline Mode
Crab Mode
Ultium Battery
Super fast charging
Next Gen SuperCruise
Ultra vision camera

Hereโ€™s a link.

GM sure makes lot o promises and exagerated claims while Tesla is eatin their lunch

Ive been drivin Chevy for many years but Tesla Cybrtrk will be my next truck
Hummer looks way too ugly plus they have no SCharger network

Also aerodynamics play big role in geting good mpg/range
Make a truck like the old Holden UTE and I might be interested

https://youtu.be/whoAXWlbUSg

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
rjstractor wrote:
Reisender wrote:

I'm sure there will be as battery tech improves. Based on my wild guesses from watching various EV towing videos, it's going to take about 1-1.2 kWh per mile to tow a large travel trailer. (I noticed that like most EV "teaser" video there was no mention of battery specs) At that number will never improve, physics are physics, and EVs are already much better than ICE vehicles at utilizing energy efficiently. There's just not much efficiency left to gain. What will (and needs to) improve is the stored energy density of batteries, as well as how quickly said batteries can be charged, which will in turn push the limits of electric utility infrastructure.

A lot of people mistakenly think that EV technology will follow the exponential growth of efficiency that data processing and storage have experience. But there is a huge difference between the virtual and real.

Trudat. But if you go back to the old discussions from 9 years ago from the Nissan Leaf everybody said the same thing about the 72 mile range. Batteries and efficiency were as good as they were going to get and range wouldnโ€™t get any better. But packaging got better, efficiency got better, aerodynamics got better. And every step of the way people said โ€œyah but this is as good as it getsโ€. And then it got better again. And now some models are north of 400 miles and most are north of 250 miles. Our model 3 is north of 300 miles range. Our first EV had a fast charge rate of 50 kw. Now we see speeds of 250 kw on V3 fast chargers. A lot of this in the last 5 years. Price parity was supposed to be a decade away. Now there isnโ€™t a single premium sports sedan that will touch the performance and features of a 50,000 Tesla model 3. Go for a drive in a 50,000 dollar BMW and see what you get. Then go for a drive in a model 3 AWD with performance boost...and hang on.

We are no where near the limits of EVโ€™s yet.

Jmho.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Reisender wrote:

I'm sure there will be as battery tech improves. Based on my wild guesses from watching various EV towing videos, it's going to take about 1-1.2 kWh per mile to tow a large travel trailer. (I noticed that like most EV "teaser" video there was no mention of battery specs) At that number will never improve, physics are physics, and EVs are already much better than ICE vehicles at utilizing energy efficiently. There's just not much efficiency left to gain. What will (and needs to) improve is the stored energy density of batteries, as well as how quickly said batteries can be charged, which will in turn push the limits of electric utility infrastructure.

A lot of people mistakenly think that EV technology will follow the exponential growth of efficiency that data processing and storage have experience. But there is a huge difference between the virtual and real.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Reisender wrote:

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
So.... I guess all these deleted and programmed diesel kings are not so cool anymore......lol
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Reisender wrote:

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
Reisender wrote:

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
Reisender wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
DBH_MI wrote:
Not sure how they are calculating horsepower, but if I applied the same math they used to come up with the 11,500 lb-ft of torque then my 2014 CTD makes over 13,500 lb-ft at the wheel.

The difference is that the Electric Vehicle has all it's torque available from zero RPM all the way to the top speed of the vehicle. Not that it matters for tow vehicles, but that is the major reason internal combustion vehicles get waxed by electric vehicles in a drag race.

They might get waxed in a drag race, but it only takes me 10 minutes to gas up and get back on the road. So , i will win the distance race.

And for those who value the distance game that will continue to be an advantage. But for those who donโ€™t spend 8 hours a day towing and just want to go fishing with the trailer in tow the EV tow vehicle will have a ton of advantages...including refueling overnight at the campground or at home. Is that a signigicant part of the market? Who knows. But for those who donโ€™t use their half tons for the long haul the superior performance of the Electric truck or SUV will be Very attractive. So all manufacturers need to have their foot in that door. Not to mention dec 31 2039 is coming and there will be lots of regions in North America where it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe.

The ideas are good, electric just isnt there yet. With more power stations and such it may get there. But tbh we have no real idea of the drains towing will make on these vehicals. We have the one tesla ocar that towed a bit and the toll the towing took on the battery was a lot. So, in the future it may be a viable option. Or as you said, a small TT going a short distance. Its just not there yet. You can get exiced about it. But right now its more of an oddity, or something to oh and ah over. Its not nessassarly something practical. I can also see a lot of campgrouds with allready stressed infrastructure also limiting charging capacity if it does catch on. With each new thing we introduce comes unforseen stuff also.

Yah I tend to agree. Until the first Rivian or cybertruck or whoever comes out first starts to tow we just wonโ€™t know.

Iโ€™m not worried about the campground towing. They will adapt in time or disappear. Same with auto parts stores. Big change for them coming. EVโ€™s font have very many user changeable parts and donโ€™t need much maintenance.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Sjm9911 wrote:
DBH_MI wrote:
Not sure how they are calculating horsepower, but if I applied the same math they used to come up with the 11,500 lb-ft of torque then my 2014 CTD makes over 13,500 lb-ft at the wheel.

The difference is that the Electric Vehicle has all it's torque available from zero RPM all the way to the top speed of the vehicle. Not that it matters for tow vehicles, but that is the major reason internal combustion vehicles get waxed by electric vehicles in a drag race.

They might get waxed in a drag race, but it only takes me 10 minutes to gas up and get back on the road. So , i will win the distance race.

And for those who value the distance game that will continue to be an advantage. But for those who donโ€™t spend 8 hours a day towing and just want to go fishing with the trailer in tow the EV tow vehicle will have a ton of advantages...including refueling overnight at the campground or at home. Is that a signigicant part of the market? Who knows. But for those who donโ€™t use their half tons for the long haul the superior performance of the Electric truck or SUV will be Very attractive. So all manufacturers need to have their foot in that door. Not to mention dec 31 2039 is coming and there will be lots of regions in North America where it will be illegal to sell anything with a tail pipe.

The ideas are good, electric just isnt there yet. With more power stations and such it may get there. But tbh we have no real idea of the drains towing will make on these vehicals. We have the one tesla ocar that towed a bit and the toll the towing took on the battery was a lot. So, in the future it may be a viable option. Or as you said, a small TT going a short distance. Its just not there yet. You can get exiced about it. But right now its more of an oddity, or something to oh and ah over. Its not nessassarly something practical. I can also see a lot of campgrouds with allready stressed infrastructure also limiting charging capacity if it does catch on. With each new thing we introduce comes unforseen stuff also.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Sjm9911 wrote:
DBH_MI wrote:

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
DBH_MI wrote:

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.