Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Member - First Camper

bryris
Explorer
Explorer
Hi

I bought a 2004 Keystone Cabana today for 3,500. I knocked down the price some 1,400 off asking because there is a little bit of water damage above the microwave and in the bathroom. Very minor, in my mind, but I do want to get it addressed.

The squawks found so far:

1. Two leaks Ive found. One above microwave and one above bathroom. If I reach my hand through into the insolation, it is wet. Been a very rainy last three days and I washed the roof today.

2. Right brake light cover is missing.

3. The front bed covering zipper is busted, so cannot zip closed. Probably a minor fix....have to study it harder.

4. The bathroom light cover is missing.

5. The dining room table wood is pretty rough. Pretty much going to have to build a new table or buy one.

The upsides are many, just not listed here.

We are in the midst of cleaning it all up thoroughly. Have a dehumidifier in there running which will stay in there all of the time, so that should help dry out any water in there.

Any help at all on the 5 issues would be great. But the number one squawk are the two roof leaks. Should I reseal the roof or get a pro out to assess how I should proceed? We got the trailer for a good price for what it is, so I am prepared to sink another couple grand in it if needed to get roof sound and fix the other minor issues.
18 REPLIES 18

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
NancyLong wrote:
Water leaking is big problem so please solve it as soon as possible. I would like to suggest you call the mason. I think he may help you better.

why the heck would you suggest a mason, for a RV roof leak?:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

NancyLong
Explorer
Explorer
Warm welcome to this forum.
Water leaking is big problem so please solve it as soon as possible. I would like to suggest you call the mason. I think he may help you better.

Wizfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Lakeland, FL?
Welcome from Auburndale.
2012 Starcraft Travelstar 229TB

Jayco25E
Explorer
Explorer
Habs33 wrote:
I too had cracks in both rear tail lights. I found some nice LED replacement lights from command electronics in Michigan. Have not yet installed them but they were inexpensive and were promptly shipped to my home.

X's two I have the LED tail lights from Command. They work and look much better than the old ones. Easy to install.

http://www.commandelectronics.com/sl_led.html
2008 Chevy Avalanche
Current 2021 Coachman Apex 300BHS
Past 2005 Jayco 25E HTT
1 kid (but always end up with a full camper)
2 retired Greyhounds

Habs33
Explorer
Explorer
I too had cracks in both rear tail lights. I found some nice LED replacement lights from command electronics in Michigan. Have not yet installed them but they were inexpensive and were promptly shipped to my home.

bryris
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an RV repair guy coming out next weekend to assess the roof. I really do not think it is that bad. There do not seem to be any soft spots. I think there are just a few small areas where water is wicking in. So a good sealant and we are probably in business.

What I did was to remove the plastic guard from the bathroom crank up skylight. That is what allows me to reach in and feel the insulation.

I bought the camper. So if it turns out there is more there then I thought, I suppose it will be lesson learned. But, I really do not think it is going to be that bad. I would not have bought the unit if it seemed like the roof was in bad shape. But I will admit I am not a professional. And for the price of 3500, it did not seem like getting a pre-buyers inspection was really need. I suppose every used purchase is a bit of a gamble.

No matter what it needs, I will get it fixed, and will enjoy the unit. Even if I have a little more money in it then I would like in the end, it will be okay.

llowllms
Explorer
Explorer
If the roof is soft you really have a problem that may cost more than you had knocked off the selling price. That can be expensive if repaired correctly. If you have no soft spots on the roof you may get by opening the areas where you noticed the dampness until it is completely dry but if you can seal first that would be great, only if no soft areas on the roof. Walking on it will answer that for you, if you haven't already. Good luck. OH, welcome to the forum.

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
From what I found it is a rubber roof. there are kits out there to replace the roof worst case. good luck and enjoy the camper!
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Normal routine is to take the trailer to an RV dealer for repair. Have a roof guy out, you say... do you mean a house roofer? If so, he might not be too familiar with RV roofs.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums.
When it come to water damage, what looks like minor damage can actually be major, depends whats hidden. Pictures would help of the water damaged areas, hard to envision. As mentioned you need to get the seems or whatever leaks on the roof sealed using Proflex or Dicor. If it's worse then just normal cracks on the old sealant you may need something else. You said you can reach through to the insulation, does your ceiling come out? You need to dry out the insulation or remove and replace it after fixing the source of the leaks.
If it costs little or nothing to have the pro out to look it over, go ahead. If the fix is costly you my want to run it by the group before you sign on any dotted lines.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Is Keytone still in business? they should be able to answer the roof question.
bumpy

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
as others have said, the roof leaks should be your top priority before the other minor issues.

there are dealers that do leak tests. check this company out:
SealTech

the light covers/lens are commonly standard through all manufacturers out there, except for yours being older.
you might try an RV salvage company.
but you might go to a good RV parts store and look through their catalogs, to see if they could order you one if they don't carry it in stock.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bryris
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what type of roof this model has? Is it a rubber roof?

Im going to get a roof guy out to take a look at it as step one.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Get that roof sealed back up. Some Dicor should take care of it. Then delve into the damage beneath to see if some wood is rotted and needs replacement.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point