cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ram dually vs. Torklifts vs. Bigfoot

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a frustrating morning. I decided to load the Bigfoot on the new Ram. Not much issue backing under it, went on fairly easy. Maybe an inch both sides between the fenders and the jacks. Set it down and started putting the Fast guns on. The fronts were against the body. No way that would work. Tried the rears, no way, and inflicted the first damage to the truck paint. The Torklift tie downs were all the way out...pins in the inboard holes. Well this ain't ever going to work. Guess I'll cancel my fishing trip. I needed to get the FastGuns further out from truck. Not much of a way to do that to the Torklifts, so I needed a way to extend the Bigfoot tie downs outward. I used a 7/16" machinery eye bolt on each Bigfoot tiedown. It is a no-no in the turbo machinery world to pull sideways on an eye bolt. But the BIgfoot isn't a 20,000# turbine rotor. The eye bolts are forged and have a good shoulder. These aren't WalMart eye bolts to hang a picture. It worked. Gave me about an inch clearance off the truck bed. Just took a 10 mile ride to top off the diesel and all seems well. I'll call Torklift and see if they have any other ideas.
Of course y'all are welcome to opine.......
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
22 REPLIES 22

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Is it possible the TL mounts are are the wrong sides? Pictures would help.

The frame mounts or the extensions? The front frame mounts are new....different from the 2016 SRW. Pretty sure they are right. The rear frame mounts were the same. The extensions....the old ones for the rear have the labels on the ends for "drivers front", etc. The new extensions look exactly the same, but didn't come with labels. I think all that is good. I think the Bigfoot just happens to have hold down eyes that are more inboard than others.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Troutguy

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Faststreak wrote:
Waiting for my super hitch and tie downs to come in. Will my fastguns clear on my new 2018 Ram dually and host cascade?

They should clear without any problems. I just installed new Torklifts all the way around on
my 18’ RAM Dually last week and my Arctic Fox 811 fits fine and it’s probably the same width as your Cascade. And yes I used a new SuperHitch also.

TG

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000

Faststreak
Explorer
Explorer
Waiting for my super hitch and tie downs to come in. Will my fastguns clear on my new 2018 Ram dually and host cascade?

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an example of what the dealership had to do to get around the hips of our dually. It has worked well for 4 years.

2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same Ram but with DRW...Just for reference only, I measured the tie-down points on my Eagle Cap 995 hard-side, and the camper measures 96” in width while the tie-down points are inboard from each side only by about 2-3/4 “ per side...Torklifts and fastguns work without a problem...

3 tons

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
When I carried a Bigfoot on our old dodge dually I bolted a piece of angle iron horizontally to the camper eyes and extended the new camper eye holes out away from conflicting with touching the paint. Also had to shim the camper off the bed to avoid hitting cab roof to camper.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is it possible the TL mounts are are the wrong sides? Pictures would help.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member