cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new roof

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
the dealer said i needed a new roof. there is a soft area between the a/c and by the antenna. this trailer is only 6 years old and mostly sits in my driveway, very few miles. this is my 3rd trailer and have never replace a roof. no signs of any leaks inside at all. the dealer said they can not spot repair roof but would remove the rubber roof, replace the plywood decking as needed, and install new rubber roof. my question to the veteran rv'ers, is this correct? the ballpark number is around $7,000.00 has anybody been through this, is this for real. i love my trailers floorplan and since it is paid for, i would like to keep it. the dealer is a quality dealer, i've not heard anything bad about them, but the voices of experience carries alot of weight not to mention wisdom. thanks in advance for your thoughts.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
18 REPLIES 18

I see posts like this and it disturbs me.

I know what is involved to fix that roof, I have done lots of major and minor RV repairs. I designed and built an entire new roof for one I fixed years ago.

The rubber roof is one piece from end to end, therefore if you need to work on a spot near the AC you have to take a sizable portion of it off, but need it all off to replace it. Stripping the rubber back and then re-using it is not a good idea.

OK, yeah, it's a lot of work, I know. But to see the money that these places charge severely annoys me. I could do it for half of that and still make a wage after paying for material. 7 grand? Wow, just wow!

Unfortunately, the shop rate is high and most of us are at the mercy of the repair facilities. They do have a lot of overhead, the shop to pay for and all the rest of it, but gee whiz, 7K?

Sadly, most shops will likely be similar in price. Kinda makes me want to open up my own shop and offer reasonable priced repairs.

Anyhow, good luck to you, definitely shop around for a better price, and make sure you do your homework on the credibility of the shop and technicians you choose.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I would do first before spending +-$7000.00. Have them do a pressure check on the trailer to pinpoint where the leak is before replacing the whole roof. The soft wood tells me that there is or has been a leak but quite possibly it is so minute that it does not leak into the trailer but is absorbed in the roof materials.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
a/c leaking.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Contact a mobile RV Tech and get a second opinion.