cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New To TCs. Have A Few Questions

El_Camino_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys! Im new around here. Me and my gf LOVE camping. We started out with an Airstream that needed "some" work which turned into a headache. It got sold and a TC took its place. Iv owned it for approximately a week lol.

We bought a package deal which was a 1996 F-350 DRW and a 1996 Lance Squire 500. Both are in good shape. I would like to sell the F-350 because I already own a F-250 and the truck is worth more than what I paid, which means I could have possibly got a free camper :)My F-250 is a manual tranny diesel. Itll hold its own but Iv never towed/hauled with it before. It has E-rated tires also.

My biggest 2 concerns are this: Will the SRWs be enough or should I really consider keeping the dually? And secondly, my F-250 is a regular cab, and the dually is crew. The front of the TC sits about 3/4 of the way over the hood on my F-250. I have yet to take it on the road with the F-250.

My TC has electric jacks. They get the job done... barely. They definitely don't like jacking up much once theyre on the ground. Do they make replacement motors for these? They say Atwood on them.

I hope I didn't ramble too much! Thanks guys!
The Rig:
2003 Salem by Forest River
25', 5th Wheel, Slide-Out

The Truck:
1996 Ford F-350
Crew Cab, Long Bed Dually, Eclipse Sport Truck
Diesel Powered, 5er Hauling Machine!
20 REPLIES 20

El_Camino_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hehe I looked up the weight of it. If its the extended cab model, which Im sure it is, it weighs 2300 lbs. I told my gf what it weighs and she asks is that a lot? It turns out her car weighs only 300 lbs more lol!
The Rig:

The Truck:
1996 Ford F-350

El_Camino_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Whoops Im used to having a signature with all my info on it lol. I need to do that!

Anyways, its a 1989 F-250 with the non-turbo 7.3 IDI diesel, 5 speed manual trans, 4x4 and 4.10 gears.

The dually is a 1996 F-350 crew long bed, 7.3L Powerstroke turbo diesel, automatic, 2wd and 4.10 gears.

I did actually set it in the bed of the F-250 today just for giggles and drove it down the driveway and back. Even at 10 mph it felt tippy lol. Its definitly a pretty heavy camper.
The Rig:

The Truck:
1996 Ford F-350

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you're going to haul the camper with the F250 you'd better do it quick. The more you haul it with the dually the more you'll realize you made the wrong decision when you have it on the F250.

Weigh the dually with no camper. Then weigh it with the camper. Then you'll know what the camper weighs. Now, weigh the F250 and add the camper weight to that. See where that puts you in relation to the truck's capabilities. I'd bet it will be over weight. Probably 90% of TC owners are overweight. I sure am, and I've got a dually.

James_
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome El Camino Man!
Trust me, you'll come to love that DRW.
You can also see THIS
2006 Chevrolet 3500 HD 4X4 dually, crew cab.
6.6 diesel, Allison trans. Air bags.
2011 Lance 992 duel pop-out, 2200 gen, 135 watt solar panal, Yakima skybox.

Sparky87k5
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure it's not the 1996 Lance Squire 5000 rather then the 500? Looks like it's 10' floor plan and therefore depending on the year of the F250 may be maxing the truck out. A DRW will always have better stability over a SRW truck when hauling a camper, and the crewcab will be nice for extra storage. Lot depends on year of trucks, mileage, powertrain and condition.
2000 F350 Lariat LE V10 CC LB 4WD DRW
2005 Eagle Cap 850 Camper
1993 Robalo 2440 twin '07 Merc Optimax 150's
1978 Glasply 28' with twin 310hp V8's

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to our world! We are a good bunch and help where we can.

First, how much does the camper weigh? Also....what year is the F250? Have you put the tc on your 250, yet?
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes