cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to truck campers. Need both Truck and camper recs!

rvstarter
Explorer
Explorer
Live in Colorado. Currently have only 2wd Hondas. Looking to buy a truck with a compatible camper in mind. Internet browsing has been a lot to take in. Initially I was thinking a used F150 EcoBoost Supercrew with 6.5 ft bed along with a Lance 815 or Lance 825. The more and more I read the less sure am I about the combo, specifically, if the half ton can SAFELY handle such a camper. I have no pulling/work needs for the truck which makes me timid to make the jump to a 3/4 ton. My general day- to-day needs are well within a 1/2 ton pickup minus a possible truck camper. Want something that can ideally sleep 5. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! Looking to make a smart long term purchase!
20 REPLIES 20

fishorgolf
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds to me a pull trailer would better fit your needs. My camper is on the bigger side and I wouldn't want 5 of us, even if 3 were kids in it at one time except maybe once a year. Pull trailer will let you get away with a smaller PU, have fun shopping, Grant.
2008 Chev LTZ DRW Chev Duramax/Allison
2010 Artic Fox 1150
2005 Northwest Jet Boat
best for last
1960 DW
1960 DW

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I started with a pop-up camper on a 1/2 ton. It was over loaded with no body in the truck. I went to an 11' non-slide camper on a 3500 SRW it was over GVWR but not tires or axles. I then put that camper on a 3500 dually, still over the GVWR but not tires or axles. The point it, forget the little 1/2 ton trucks for a TC. Really, a 3500 SRW is the minimum I would consider. With that family you will need a crew cab which makes the truck even heavier and thus less payload. I think if you add up the weight of the camper WITH ALL THE FACTORY OPTIONS, add the weight of water, propane, batteries, and gear, and then add the weight of your family you will be pushing on the GVWR of a 3500 truck.
Most TC owners go by the axle and tire ratings of the truck, not the GVWR. If you try to stay under the GVWR you really will end up with a big truck.

rvstarter
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Yes 3 are kids!

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Concur with SideCar !

Buy a screen room tent for outside space.

I hope 3 of those people are little kids ! By the time the oldest is a teenager you will be shopping for something bigger.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget a 150 anything. That is a soccer mom's grocery getter truck. Get a 3/4 ton or a 1 ton truck and then go camper shopping. Preferrably a 1 ton in the 4x4 flavor.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy or select the camper first. Then match a truck to it. Generally a half ton isn’t a truck camper friendly vehicle.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad