cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tow vehicle/old hitch.. What to do?

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Going tomorrow to hook the trailer up to the new truck and get it ready for camping season. I have a Keystone Passport 2920BH. I recently upgraded the tow vehicle from a 2013 F-150 3.5 eco boost Super Crew to an F-250 Crew cab 6.2L V8 gas. I have an Equalizer WDH. The question is do I need the WDH?

The trailer Dry is Approx 5700lbs, 1,815lbs carrying capacity. The F-250 is more than enough truck to tow it Loaded to the max. The Equalize hitch is also the sway control, which worked great on the F-150. I assume I will have to adjust the hitch to get it nose down. Will I benefit any with the WDH with this TV?

Any advise and comments appreciated.
2016 F-250 Crewcab 6.2L 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 30RLI
15 REPLIES 15

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing you a safe and enjoyable trip. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Hannibal.

I removed 1 washer from the WDH and now the front and rear fenders are both sitting at 42 Inch's. The trailer sits a little over 1 inch lower in the front compared to the rear., so I think I,m good now. Still the rear of the truck sagged very little with the trailer hooked up before the WDH bars were installed. Told the DW a 5th weel may be in our future:) We have an overnight planned for the 7th of May to make sure everything still works then off to Maine the second week in June... Can't wait to try a long haul with the new rig. Thanks everyone. Will post pics from Maine when we get there. We're staying in Kennebunkport so if anyone has suggestions of where to go while were there please share.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Can you tilt the head forward a notch to ease up on the bars a little?

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the hitch:

Hooked the trailer up and the rear sagged a little but the front Fender Stayed at 42 inch's. Loaded the bars and the front dropped a half inch?

The front of the trailer is half inch higher than the back. I'm afraid to drop the ball anymore.

Thoughts?

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Old Tow Vehicle-

New Tow Vehicle-

Hitch-

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
You're in the same predicament I'm in. We recently ordered a Jayco 28RLS TT to replace our 5th wheel. Your trailers tongue weight is advertised at 625 lbs. Mine is 700 lbs. Add propane and a battery and all our junk in the basement storage and we're likely over 800 lbs tongue weight. I hitched up to a 28RLS on the lot and the truck only squatted 2" in the rear and the front didn't rise at all. With the salesman, wife and myself standing on the tongue, it dropped another 1/4"~. If not for the capacity rating of the receiver at 600 lbs, I'd much rather use my short draw bar ball mount with no WD. But to satisfy the receiver's rating, I ordered a Reese trunion style WDH with 800 lb bars. I wish we could still get the ol' Quality S WDH with the very short welded ball mount. I realize the length of the hitch is for vertical leverage with WD but it also gives lateral leverage that adds to push with those passing trucks. I've even considered drilling another 5/8" hole in the Reese 54970 shank to shorten it up as I want less distance between the ball and rear axle, not more.

Headed_West
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all!!!

Just printed out the Equalize manual and headed over to make any adjustments needed. I did measure the hitch height of the old truck and the new. The new truck hitch receiver only sits 1 inch higher than the F-150. May not need that much adjustment.

Thanks again everyone. I'll post pics when the adjustments are made to see how it looks to you guys....

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Yes you still need it
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

razehm
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded from an F-150 to a F-350 last year. I would agree using the WDH is probably the wisest thing to do. But with a 4 inch drop down stinger my truck and trailer are fine and I do not notice any sway.

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I just had to adjust my equalizer wdh as I replaced the worn down rear shock with some 4600 HD blisteins and added some air bags. It took a lot less time If you do believe. I had to flip the hitch L shaped thing. I bet you have too. I also was afraid to touch it for over a year.

As far as hitching goes, this is kids vacation weeks so my wife towed the 31 TT and tundra to a campground . She unhitched on her own. She is small and takes her time. I also have the steps in a laminated sheet as she does it once or twice a year. I tell her to take her time and go easy.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

WildSideFL
Explorer
Explorer
My 2500 Cummins Ram towed our 28' travel trailer no problem with just air bags but towed much better with the equal-izer so I always used it for trips. The sway control was great so I deflated the bags and used the wdh for it's purpose. The only downside to a wdh is the more complex hitching process.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Like your 150, the 250 hitch will have a max rating on it. It will say a max rating with no WDH, and a max with WDH. Your loaded tongue wt will be more than the hitch rating, if you do not use a WDH.

Jerry

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, the WDH will put the weight back onto your front steer axle.
Look up the Ford Towing Guide for the year of your F-250 and it will have a recommendation about how to balance the truck with fender heights. Later model Ford's do not need to be made totally level (1/2" difference, IIRC).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Many on here will say you don't need a WDH on a truck. But, I don't want to be headed east while you are Headed West after dark, if you don't have a WDH in your setup. I see plenty of trucks that have their low-beams on, but are blinding oncoming traffic. I mutter a few choice words to myself, then get over it.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road