cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New trailer: WDH, Generator

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be picking up a new Rockwood Geo Pro 16BH in May. Dealer said I should try without a WDH. Also said solar panels can keep batteries topped up.

Trailer is 3000 pounds dry. Towing with 2014 F150 with tow package to 13,000 pounds. Thoughts on WDH?

Also, do you think I should invest in an 800w Generac generator? How long would that take to re-charge 2 6 volt batteries? No TV, no air con, no intention to run anything off a generator, strictly using batteries for basics like water pump, furnace fan, maxxair fan, etc.
19 REPLIES 19

GeoffW90
Explorer
Explorer
canuckystan wrote:
Just wondering if I even need a WDH, dealer says no....

GeoffW90 wrote:
Congrats on the new rig! If all you plan on using the generator for is charging the battery, I would go for the solar panels to be honest.

The generator will use a trickle charger to charge the batteries and will take a fairly long time. I believe it was in the realm of 3-4 hours if they were about half. 2 ea 6V batteries will do you for a weekend with moderate use in my experience.

I only use a 100 w solar panel and my generators run when we use appliances and what not, so that would be the only reason to use a genny. Just my thoughts.

Good luck!

Here is what I would do... try it without, worst case is you will need to purchase one. Any (well a good dealer) would have stock and be able to set you up. The trailer isn't too heavy IMHO, I would go without. I had a small trailer before this one with a Ram 1500. Roughly the same dims and weights as yours, I just used a height adjustable hitch that I picked up at Canadian Tire.

-GW
-Geoff
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
2017 Keystone Cougar H/T 28RBSWE

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
800 watts is probably too small to properly charge the battery. A Honda 1000 (rated 900va) will barely put 40 amps into the battery. Most converters now are 55+ amps and frequently operate at a fixed voltage giving the battery just a trickle charge.

Get the trailer and post the actual converter model number for best answers.

canuckystan
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if I even need a WDH, dealer says no....

GeoffW90 wrote:
Congrats on the new rig! If all you plan on using the generator for is charging the battery, I would go for the solar panels to be honest.

The generator will use a trickle charger to charge the batteries and will take a fairly long time. I believe it was in the realm of 3-4 hours if they were about half. 2 ea 6V batteries will do you for a weekend with moderate use in my experience.

I only use a 100 w solar panel and my generators run when we use appliances and what not, so that would be the only reason to use a genny. Just my thoughts.

Good luck!

GeoffW90
Explorer
Explorer

Good luck!
-Geoff
2018 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
2017 Keystone Cougar H/T 28RBSWE

firestorm79
Explorer
Explorer
canuckystan wrote:
I'll be picking up a new Rockwood Geo Pro 16BH in May. Dealer said I should try without a WDH. Also said solar panels can keep batteries topped up.

Trailer is 3000 pounds dry. Towing with 2014 F150 with tow package to 13,000 pounds. Thoughts on WDH?

Also, do you think I should invest in an 800w Generac generator? How long would that take to re-charge 2 6 volt batteries? No TV, no air con, no intention to run anything off a generator, strictly using batteries for basics like water pump, furnace fan, maxxair fan, etc.

I like the Andersen with its integrated sway control which has kept my unit rock solid in all kinds of weather. I don't go camping without a generator even if I'm going to a campground with shore power.