Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New trailer - Weight

haggus75
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

So got our new travel trailer weighted... All the numbers are in pounds (lbs).

Truck alone:
  • Front axle: 3461
  • Back axle:2667
  • Total: 6128

Truck and Travel Trailer:
  • Front axle: 3593
  • Back axle:3152
  • Travel trailer: 4761
  • Total: 11508

Those numbers seems to be Ok for me... but would like to get the opinion from some expert.

Truck: Dodge Ram 1500 2012
Travel trailer: Jayco Jayflight Swift 264BH

And I'm using a Weight distribution device with a friction sway control.

Thank you,
6 REPLIES 6

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to go to the towing section and read the stickie on setting up the WD.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

DodgieDan
Explorer
Explorer
You may not have enough tension on your chains you might want to try 4 or 5 to see if the weight on your front end changes.

haggus75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm at the third link with two hanging loose... I would have to count how many are tension. Next time I use the TT I will use the second link (and one loose) and hopefully I pass by the scale to see the difference.

All your help is appreciated.

Thank you,
Martin

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Too much weight on the front. At most you should return the front to the unloaded weight, not more. Let out a link and try again. When you say you have 2 links used do you mean hanging loose or tensioned? You should have a minimum of 4 links between the bars and the snap up bar to have enough slack for turning.

Saw a guy once with only 2 links and the bars were above the trailer frame. Never got a chance to point out the problem, he had a new fiver shortly after.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

haggus75
Explorer
Explorer
Right now I have three link on the chain of the Weight Distribution... I could try with only two link and weight it next time I pass by the scale.

Goldstalker
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a little too much on the front. Maybe take out one washer.
2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander