Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie looking for manufacturer recommendations

dminnery
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
After 30 years on tent camping, we want to get a travel trailer for the comforts and extending our camping season.

We have 2 kids under 8 and live in the NW, we like to take long road trips so expect to get some use out of this.

The design we like is the bunk beds with dedicated queen bed, so no matter who's sleeping the dinette is always available. I'm not too hot on the pullout expandable dinette or bed, seems like more to go wrong and possible leak.

My question is this - What is a good brand, a good value?
It's overwhelming!
Winnebago, Viking, Starcraft, Forest River,Lance, Coachman, Dutchmen, etc.

I have a 2015 toyota tacoma 4dr, v6 with factory installed towing package.
the 20-22' trailers seem like a good foot.

thanks for the help!
18 REPLIES 18

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a family of 4, and bikes etc for the kids I think your truck will probably run out of payload capacity long before you hit your max tow weight.

A Popup, or Hybrid will get you lots more space with less weight. We had a popup for 9 years when our kids were younger. It was great for us. We pulled it with a Honda Pilot, or my truck depending on what all toys we took. The pilot pulled it really well.

The biggest problem I could see with a hybrid, or popup for you would be with living in Seattle, I assume it would be a pain to get the canvas dry to prevent mold and mildew.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
The Toyota Tacoma V6 with tow package is listed at 6400 lbs towing capacity. So that restricts your trailer possibilities. The Lance 2155 mentioned above is 4800 +/- gross net weight (whatever that means!) so adding a thousand pounds or more is going to put you right at the max towing for that vehicle.

We have a Lance 1685 (LOVE!!!) with dry weight of 3800 lbs that we used to tow with a Toyota 4 Runner - similar situation to yours with slightly smaller tow vehicle & trailer. We towed safely for over 10,000 miles, but felt the trailer behind us every mile. We upgraded to a Tundra and never know the trailer is back there.

With the kids, you'll especially want to err on the side of safety. Be very careful with what trailer sales people say you can tow! They told us that we could safely tow 6000 lbs with our little 4 Runner when all the Toyota specs clearly said 5000.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Since you live in the NW, then Outdoors RV, or Northwood Nash. With the Tacoma V6, and passengers, your "comfortable" towing capacity will be quite restricted. For that reason, my #1 picks may be out of range for your tow rig.
Black Rock 18DB

Here's a nice all aluminum that might do the trick:
Camplite 21BHS

Last, (yes, you said pass on these above...), don't forget the Hybrid travel trailers. They have lost some popularity, but I still think they are a great solution for a small family, especially if you are stepping up from tent camping. You get the benefit of the hardwall trailer, and a great feeling of space with the tent slideouts, all without the weight penalty.

Hybrid discussion pros/cons
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
I am a big fan of Lance, owning one. The model you'd be looking at would be the 2155 w/ 3 bunk beds in the back. Go to YouTube and look at the Lance Factory Tour. High resale value too!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk båt - Dette må jeg se!