cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more Starcraft Pop Ups?

Mike_Up
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Starcraft has stopped making Pop Ups. They don't even list them anymore on their Website.

Jayco, Starcraft's owner, has also limited their Pop Ups to only 4 floorplans. Looks like they combined the Jayco Sport and Jay Series line and done away with the A frame campers.
2019 Ford F150 XLT Sport, CC, 4WD, 145" WB, 3.5L Ecoboost, 10 speed, 3.55 9.75" Locking Axle, Max Tow, 1831# Payload, 10700# Tow Rating, pulling a 2020 Rockwood Premier 2716g, with a 14' box. Previous 2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH.
23 REPLIES 23

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first RV, a Starcraft popup back in 1984. I think we paid about $1600 for it back then.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think the popups priced themselves out of the market. They used to be perfect for young families on a tight budget and who didn't have a big tow vehicle.

Now they cost as much (or more) than some entry level travel trailers and hybrids.

I suspect this is a major reason for lower sales. I too have thought newer PUPs are awfully high-priced.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto, had a coleman for twenty years. Sometimes I wonder why we sold it for our hard side TT. Boy, it sold quick though,in twenty four hours it was gone. Should not have let them take the coleman hardside cooler.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sad as there are a lot of fond memories of having camped in popups when we were youngsters.

I think the popups priced themselves out of the market. They used to be perfect for young families on a tight budget and who didn't have a big tow vehicle.

Now they cost as much (or more) than some entry level travel trailers and hybrids.

manualman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yup, Can't buy a new version of the greatest popup ever (Coleman Sun Valley) anymore for any price either.

Gotta make mine last forever!

I thought we were going to have a resurgence for a while there when people were abandoning Burbs and F150 crews and buying crossovers with 3,500# tow ratings, but it seems the truck sales are back and pup sales continue to plunge.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Doom-and-Gloom speaking here: I wonder if Popups have much of a future at all. With the prices they have on them these days, they seem to me to have become rather like dinosaurs. Don't get me wrong. I love popups. We enjoyed one for 15 years. But when the prices for a new one are equal to or higher than some TT's, it's a hard sell for a first-time RV. I would guess the used market is going to be very profitable for sellers for a while.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2008 Starcraft 14RT sure has a beefed-up frame under it... Don't see this in the other OFF-ROAD look-alikes...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bummer...
Our 1st "RV" was a StarCraft Galaxy 24. King front bed, forced heat, 3 way fridge, WH, shower, and recirculating toilet. Kinda hated selling it
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's a shame. Of course, Starcraft hasn't really made its own popups for some years now. I would guess the A-frame ones just weren't selling; too much competition in a limited market, what with Aliner and Chalet having already cornered that market. (I think Forest River may also have an A-frame PUP.)

Starcraft and Coleman made the best-made PUPs back in the day, IMO. (We had the former.) That changed when the economy crashed the RV market some 20 years ago or so, and both companies outsourced their PUP-building.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375