cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No more training wheels

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
So my 2012 RAM 3500 was in the shop for two weeks with a P0420 CEL. Turns out that it had to do with a cat, and the part was on back order, not scheduled for release until late August.

I spoke with two technicians about the likelihood of it being troublefree between now and then, and was less than reassured by both of their responses - โ€œmaybe, but if it collapses on itself the truck will not have enough power to move far on its ownโ€. Looked into aftermarket options, but I live in an emissions testing county and the great state of Colofornia will not allow any non OEM parts for emissions compliance.

With a 3000 mile round trip pulling the RV was literally a day away, I quickly went on a new truck search. I can tell you from my experience, there is still a significant shortage.

I used the RAM build a truck site, and searched a 100 mile radius from
Denver. My criteria was pretty simple. RAM 3500, HO engine, crew cab, Laramie or better trim, 50 gallon fuel tank, 5th wheel prep package. I was open to 2022 or 2023 trucks. My search only resulted in a very small handful of trucks available (if I was open to Tradesman trim, options would have been much better). I then started calling dealers to see who was willing to sell on the EP program for a truck on the lot, and that narrowed my choices much further.

Found a dealer 100 miles away that had a truck that met the criteria (Laramie trim, technology group with adaptive cruise and the advanced tow package in a long bed). I left the house at about 1000 am, did the paperwork (which took much longer than I thought it should) drove it to an RV dealer near home, getting there about 30 minutes before they closed), picked up a new Anderson ultimate hitch that uses the goose neck in the prep package), hitched the trailer, and headed towards Portland.

We drove over 1300 miles in a day and a half, all around the Portland area, and then back in two days. Here are my observations.

Without question, this is the biggest upgrade Iโ€™ve ever experienced in a vehicle. There simply is no comparison between my 2012 and this 2023. Out trip took us up I80 to I84. While there are not any hills like I70, we still encountered some grades, although you hardly knew it with the Cummins/Aisin. Itโ€™s simply impressive.

Love all the cameras and the adaptive cruise. Wish I could have got massaging seats. I also miss my auxiliary fuel tank. Even with my relatively small 12,000 pound trailer, stability in the old DRW was better (especially when we encountered winds around the Columbia gorge). I still am happy we got a SRW - itโ€™s nice to run it through a car wash instead of hand washing.

I am sure I have some upgrades in the near future. I put running boards on the truck on Sunday. Clear bra and window tint Thursday. Probably need air bags and maybe bigger tires. Who knows what else.

My anticipation was to keep my last truck for another 100,000 + miles, but so far I have no regrets that I was forced to upgrade.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
63 REPLIES 63

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'll keep my Hensley BD-5.
Yeah, I think I'll keep my $3,000. ๐Ÿ™‚ Even with diesel prices where they are, that will buy a fair amount of fuel.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful truck, always loved white trucks!

I had a 2010 Tundra that had adjustable headlights in the cab. There was literally a switch on the dash that let me adjsut the headlights down if I had a heavy load in the bed. I thought it was a great feature, but a little out of place on a truck with relatively low payload.

I really wish that the Big 3 offered a similar option. My 2015 Ram squats a couple inches when we are fully loaded with the trailer, bikes, firewood, toys, grill, etc in the bed. That couple of inches makes my headlights shine higher. Its a shame that trucks that are meant for heavier weights don't have such an option!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I'll keep my Hensley BD-5.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bionic Man wrote:
Good lord, you B&W fanbois need to take off your blinders once in a whileโ€ฆ.

It must REALLY kill you that the Andersen is rated for more weight than equivalent B&W.
Doesn't bother me at all. I know my B&W can handle the weight it's rated for, never seen one fail. Andersen? Maybe not so much. ๐Ÿ™‚ Unless you like that "custom bend". ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Good lord, you B&W fanbois need to take off your blinders once in a whileโ€ฆ.

It must REALLY kill you that the Andersen is rated for more weight than equivalent B&W.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
JBarca wrote:
It appears Andersen sells a safety chain kit to go with their hitch.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/ultimate-connection-safety-chains-with-plate/

As to the law, this is a gray area, and not sure if it is federal or state-dependent. In the current statute here in Ohio, a gooseneck hitch requires chains unless you have a 5th-wheel hitch connection to a commercial tractor; it needs cables or chains. See here, https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4513.32

Curt does offer a gooseneck safety chain adapter for a Dodge puck system. Not sure if these would fit in the truck bed with the Andersen in place. They might. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/60617

It is close, but chain adapters may fit, if installed before hitch?

The BIG QUESTION...why didn't Andersen just expand frame of hitch a bit more, and add solid attachments direct to Ram pucks, which would eliminate the problems involved with that single point attachment??

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
When it has a gooseneck ball.

EXACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Just curious. On the raised ball hitches, can the trailer hit the bed rails with side to side movements over uneven ground?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
It appears Andersen sells a safety chain kit to go with their hitch.

https://andersenhitches.com/product/ultimate-connection-safety-chains-with-plate/

As to the law, this is a gray area, and not sure if it is federal or state-dependent. In the current statute here in Ohio, a gooseneck hitch requires chains unless you have a 5th-wheel hitch connection to a commercial tractor; it needs cables or chains. See here, https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-code/section-4513.32

Curt does offer a gooseneck safety chain adapter for a Dodge puck system. Not sure if these would fit in the truck bed with the Andersen in place. They might. https://www.curtmfg.com/part/60617
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crack a smile now and then....
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
When it has a gooseneck ball.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Such a pretty hitch

FYI your very thin bed is supporting the fore and aft movement of the hitch.

B&W years ago with their original Companion had that issue and they re designed it to support at the bottom of the corrugation that is solid to the cross member and then to the frame.

Where are your safety chain attachments?

Since when does a fifth wheel need safety chains?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cptqueeg wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
I never felt a dually truck was a training vehicle I felt it was the smart way to tow a large fifth. Looks great sitting in our garage now.

chevman

It's a joke son, not a comment that is meant to be taken seriously.

Don't think you should call this scholarly gentlemen "SON". Truth be told he was making a joke, so jokes on you.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
Such a pretty hitch

FYI your very thin bed is supporting the fore and aft movement of the hitch.

B&W years ago with their original Companion had that issue and they re designed it to support at the bottom of the corrugation that is solid to the cross member and then to the frame.

Where are your safety chain attachments?

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
larry barnhart wrote:
I never felt a dually truck was a training vehicle I felt it was the smart way to tow a large fifth. Looks great sitting in our garage now.

chevman

It's a joke son, not a comment that is meant to be taken seriously.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell