cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Northern Lite Queen Classic

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know that the Northern Lite Special Editions is considered the luxury camper while the Sportsman is the camper with only the basics. Could someone tell me where the Queen Classics come in? From what I read they seem to be closer related to the Special Editions but are closer in weight to the Sportsman.
7 REPLIES 7

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the replies. From what I have read here it seems like I would be best just to get a Special Edition since the cost and weight (after options) isn't all that different.

I did contact an RV dealer here in Colorado and they said they could order me one and sent me a spread sheet for the 2017 9-6 Sportsman and the base pay was $32000. Think I will look for a used one.

scout4trout
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Sportsman which we preferred to the 8-11QSE which we had put a deposit on first. We didn't want some of the QSE items, especially the rear bumper which holds a lot of dirt on gravel roads. In Wyoming with the wind, we really didn't want acrylic windows that would get battered with blowing dirt since our unit stays outside. We have glass sliding thermopane windows which we also don't have to worry about closing each time we move a short distance. We definitely wouldn't use a side awning - we ordered the rear one. We wanted more storage so didn't want the oven which we had never used for the 9 years we had our Alpenlite. As far as weight difference, the numbers on the web site are about 400 pounds off. Our unit with limited options came to just 80 pounds less than the QSE, and the price we paid was only about $1,500 less, but we got the camper the way we wanted it. When we had tried to order a Queen Classic, the dealer said we couldn't order one. But we're very happy with the Sportsman - cleaner lines without side awning and big rear bumper.
2017 Ford F250 XL STX SCSB 6.2 gas with camper package, Torklift Tiedowns & Fast Guns, Airbags, payload 3,436
2017 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman with preferred options

SideHillSoup
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of differences between the 8-11 and the Sportsman. We just ordered a 8-11 EX Dry Bath and the list of standard equmpent between the two listed above is huge.
Northern Lite Link
This link takes you to the 2017 units, however we ordered and pick up our 2018 unit in 3 weeks.
The optional equipment on the Sportsmen is much longer than the list of options for the 8-11. I know the options for the 8-11 aren't on the webpage however I have them here. There are only 11 options for the 2018, NL 8-11 compaired to 20 on the 2017 sportsman. And one of the options just came out in 2018 on the 8-11 which we got and is the U shaped dinette. This may also be a new option for the 2018 sportsman so if it is a options the Sportsman would have 21 options to pick from.
The list of options for the 2018 NL 8-11 are,
- A/C, ( didn't take)
- boat rack, (didn't take)
- factory pickup, ( didn't take)
- Camo decal package. ( wife said NO!)
- Fantastic fan,( which we took instead of the A/C unit)
- Hot water, ( gas/ electric) we also took the Hot water Elec / propane,
- Happy Jacks Dully bracket ( didn't take)
- Microwave, ( we didn't take the microwave)
- Special order change, ( N/A)
- U shaped Dinette ( which we took)
- US Package (N/A)
Soup
2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

WyoBull
Explorer
Explorer
There are 3 different trim or option levels from my understanding when we bought our SE this past spring. The Sportsman, the Queen Classic and the Queen Classic SE. I do know that like 54suds said, one of the main differences is the windows on the Sportsman are sliders and not Dometic Seitz thermo-pane.
Another difference is the rear bumper on the Sportsman and the Queen Classic are just a small bumper and not the one that extrudes out the you can actually sit or stand on. The oven and TV do not come with the Sportsman and QC either.
I think what you would have to do is a comparison of what is standard on each model and determine what fits your needs.
When we bought ours I looked at just getting a Sportsman and then adding is the options we wanted. At the end of all that, we were within $1200 dollars of what we could get an SE for so that is what we went with.
2017 Ford F350 XLT Premium CCSB 4x4 6.2 gas 3.73 rear end, 4226 lbs payload
2017 Northern Lite QC 8.11 SE
Torklift tie downs, Torklift Fast Guns, Torklift Upper Stableloads, Airlift 5000 Ultimate air bags, Airlift WirelessAIR onboard compressor system

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
a quick read leads me to believe one of the major differences is the windows glass thermo sliders verses plastic thermo swing out
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

csh_2088
Explorer II
Explorer II

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
The Queen Classic is a Special Edition unit
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison