cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

not cool

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
literally and figuratively not cool, the Berry fire has likely cancelled our planned trip in a couple weeks to Yellowstone/GTNP. I'm bummed, but its better than being caught there.
Was anyone there recently? They've evacuated a few campgrounds (including Headwaters at Flagg Ranch, where we were planning on staying).
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH
7 REPLIES 7

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
The Berry Fire in GT is causing the highway closure to south entrance, and campground evacuations, so Fishing Bridge should be fine (to my knowledge, at least). Having a reservation at Flagg Ranch though, we are going to cancel that but probably no chance at finding another place this late (and with others possibly having the same idea)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the gov link to what roads are closed into Yellowstone, etc.

Current Fire Activity - Yellowstone National Park (U.S. National Park
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/currentfireactivity.htm
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/currentfireactivity.htm
https://www.nps.gov/yell/.../currentfireactivity.htm
National Park Service
Berry Fire Reported on 8/23/16. Road closure: Highway 89 between Flagg Ranch on the ... Park visitors wishing to enter/exit Yellowstone through the south entrance of Yellowstone ... Boundary Fire (cause under investigation, 192 acres) ... Park to implement Stage 1 fire restrictions effective at noon Monday, August 8, 2016.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We have reservations at Fishing Bridge in a week for 5 nights. Hopefully the fires will be contained soon.
Between fires, floods, and earthquakes, lots of folks are going through some tough times. My worries are kinda puny compared to theirs.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Yellowstone two days ago, we came in the west gate on route 16. We dropped down to a view of the lake and eat at the lodge. The folks at the lodge said we could not go south because of the fire. We spent a few hours sightseeing and photographing the wild life then exited north to Livingston.

The sky to the south was smoggy but we were just passing through on our way north.

I would definitely call for an update as things can change rapidly. I also heard that some of the streams were closed for fishing because of a parasite problem.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
Not fun at all. We were in a campground that had fire on 3 sides. We were told to leave, not because of the fire, but because people had reservations for our campsite. I was amazed that people from Washington were going up into Canada and then came back down into Eastern Washington. We didn't have our passports to go home through Canada. We finally got lucky and one road opened up. It was horrible seeing whole families crying over the loss of their homes. It was devastation everywhere. Like others have said, it's probably better to not go than get caught in the middle of a disaster.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I agree, sad when you have to cancel a long anticipated camping trip...
But, what is truly sad and "not cool" are all the poor folks who lost their homes to these fires...
(and floods)

of course, like i said, im bummed but man, to be stuck, yikes.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, sad when you have to cancel a long anticipated camping trip...
But, what is truly sad and "not cool" are all the poor folks who lost their homes to these fires...
(and floods)
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro