cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ok, backing up a step.. Looking for advice part 2

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
I posted the other day about buying a 19 foot TT and towing with my Kia Sedona. Even though the dry weight was 700lbs under the max tow weight of the van, I was advised by many it was too much trailer for the van.. Honestly my wife and I gave up in the camping idea because we have what we have and our family is the size it is..

This weekend talking with friends it got revisited, we want to camp.. So While I still am not sure I agree, about the van being over loaded we are backing up a step.. We need a third vehicle in our family mostly because I'm in sales and make a living in my car and I can't afford to be without a car.. Currently our 3rd car is a 04 Saab convertible, but we are now considering selling that and getting a Truck capable of towing.

A side benefit of this idea is we can get a slightly larger, slightly cheaper used trailer if we follow thrugh with this idea.. We were looking at new because we needed small and light, and it seemed new was the way to go.,

Long story shirt we will have about $10000 to play with after selling the car and a few other things. I'm figuring half on the truck and half on the trailer.. Need some advise on what to look for. Due to driveway size constraints as much as I would like a crew cab, I don't think its in the cards.. An older Tahoe or Trailblazer (v8 would be nice, but at my price point 6cyl has a higher possibility) is far more Likley. What weight trailer would you think is max safe for these two trucks ?? How about an explorer sport track?? What other trucks would be on the list, Durangos I don't feel are reliable, explorers always feel underpowered (at least the 6cyl)..

Thanks again for the advice.
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)
30 REPLIES 30

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you decided to stay with the idea of camping, your family will be very grateful.
Take your time and really pay attention to some of the folk on here that have years of experience. We have been on this forum less than a year and we have learned so much.

Thanks to all of the "know it alls" LOL....They really do know it all.