cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campers under $10K

eou_edu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello forum. My name is Corey and this is my first post. I've been researching the past few months on here and trying to figure out what camper I should buy. Unfortunitly reading about others experience can only get you so far and I'd like to try and make the right choice before I buy something. Now I think I'm more confused when I started. So I'm turning to the experts for help.

1) Rule number 1. No leaks, no leaks, no leaks!!! I live in Oregon and it rains a lot here. I understand taking care of it is important, but the less I have to think, worry about, and predict leaks before they happen the better.

2) I have a 2006 dodge 2500 diesel but prefer something small and light, 8ft with no overhang is ideal but they are few and far between anymore.

3) I would take it mostly hunting. I don't plan to four wheel with a camper on but sometimes logging road and forest service roads can get a little rough. I'm trying to avoid a pop up because to me it just seems like a $12000 tent. However I'm afraid I might be asking for trouble if I use a non pop up camper.

4) Alaskian? I have no opinion except even the new ones look.....Rustic?

5) Capri campers: I'm tempted by these but they seem to have a lot of leak reports.

6) Northern lite and bigfoots. Seem to be the holy grail of campers. But i've also heard complaints about not handling off road very well. Is this just opinion or is in warranted? I thought about buying an older used one and getting the width cut down to fit my newer box, but two quotes of $2400 detoured me from this. They seem to be a good deal for someone with an older truck though since the used market on them is limited to wider box older trucks.

7) Panther campers. I just discovered these and very close to my home in Vancouver Washington. Aluminum frame, fiberglass campers. They build them custom to my specs. They start new at $9,000 then go up as you add options. They have fiberglass panels, on aluminum frame, and have a "triple sealed roof" (seamless sounds like a better term but triple seal sounds pretty good as well). I' toured their factory and they look very impressive. Best of all they will build how you want them and in this case they build with no holes in the roof! Really who needs vents when you can have no leaks? I am still worried about off road and seems coming apart and some talks of "delamination." As well as killing my budget!

๐Ÿ˜Ž I horse traded a friend a few months ago for a stable lift system. Still trying to figure out if I want it on whatever camper I get. Extra weight and loss of ground clearance is not so good for hunting. But ability to take it off and on quick on less than perfect ground and have a free truck to hunt in is a big plus.

9) I'm open to any other suggestions?

I know 9 questions is asking a lot, so I thank any help someone wants to give to a newbie.
13 REPLIES 13

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty sure Pastime is still making campers... They have some 2014 models on the apache website. But I think the name may have changed to something like "blackhawk" I've seen a reference to that name here and there.

http://www.apachecamping.com/inventory.php?status=new&type=truck-campers&manufacturer=Pastime&price=&payment=&weight=&floorplan=&sleeps=&location=

Note about "blackhawk" here...

http://www.apachecamping.com/pastime-truck-campers.htm

I have a 93 pastime 8xx series, 8' hard side that weighs 1400lbs with no jacks. On my F150 i'm a little over GVW, but still within axle ratings, and GCVWR when towing my ~2700 lb boat.

I also think the company is GREAT and will seriously consider them new when I replace mine. My pastime is well used and obviously well out of warranty. But when I needed some support with some of the locks, they didn't hesitate at ALL to talk to me on the phone, and even sent me some basic locks to try free of charge.

later
C

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
You might not want to be so quick in tossing Palomino campers aside. I know that it is popular on here to bash the brand and I might also if my 2006 was the only one I have ever owned. Comparing some rotted out ten year old model to what they are building now is like comparing a Pinto to a new Mustang. Yes, they have the same brand name, but some things do improve. I happen to like new. New hot water heaters, new beds, new stoves, new air conditioners, new furnaces. Palomino is one of the few brands that can provide all those for less than your $10k limit. Are they as well built as $30k units? No, but Forest River is spending a lot of money upgrading the line and they are having some success. Check out a 2014. They are not your Grandpa's Palomino

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
eou_edu wrote:
5) โ€ฆ Sometimes you have to jump to conclusions โ€ฆ based on a thread โ€ฆ about someone โ€ฆ weighing in on ... something they haven't owned โ€ฆ Is there something about how they are construct(ed) that would make them less prone to leaks?

Using your "research" logic, one could ask the same "is there something about "fill in the mfgr's" construction that would make them less prone to leaks? Snark & edits aside โ€ฆ best of luck on your endeavors.

photo from this old RV.net topic
2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

eou_edu
Explorer
Explorer
Wow thanks for the all the replies. The off road camper link looked interesting if I was after a trailer. Maybe they will build a camper soon?

Steer clear of palomino, got it! I think I will steer clear of any wood frame camper at all.

Pastime campers, would be a good option at a time, in the past. Apparently no longer making campers. Or bought out by another company. Honestly at this point I'm really liking the looks of the panther campers. They seem well built, well sealed, fully customizable (why do I need anything on the roof?), and a very attractive price. Although I wish I heard from more people that have them. I'm thinking you've all helped me narrow it down to that or a used northern lite.

You asked why the need to narrow a bigfoot? Apparently older trucks, 93 and older dodges, 98 and older fords and ? on chevy's were built with 65" wide beds. They changed that to make the bed tapered and my bed on my 06 is 65" wide by the cab and 61.5" wide at the tailgate. Pre 94 alot of campers, bigfoot included made them 62" wide. So a pre 94 will not fit. Pre 94's also appear to be a bargain because of the limited people driving old trucks that can buy them. It sucks seeing a bargain camper for a great price and not being able to buy it. I even thought about doing some welding and grinding on my truck bed, but the tailgate bolts are the narrowest part! So it's either $2400 or let the bargain be.

Northern lite and bigfoot not being good off road. This is where I really wish I had more engineering knowledge of how construction methods of campers work. I don't know if the 2 piece construction method would lend itself to be more durable off road or developing more cracks in the fiberglass and long term problems down the road. I've also heard you don't want aluminum frame off road you want wood, or you want aluminum and not wood. Speculation, experience and BS camper manufacturers tell you is all you can really have to go on. The place I read about Northern lites and bigfoot was an off roading forum. A few people weighed in, two with personal experience of them coming apart. But maybe it was a situation where they knew they were built stout, so they took them full on off roading and it lasted 3 times longer than anything else. My own speculation is they probably do the best facing the rigors of off road, being slouched around and even just 30 years of speed bumps. I'm guessing caulked seems of most campers come apart a lot easier than fiberglass cracking..........My best bet will be email bigfoot and nothern lite and ask them why their camper is better for off road. They are the experts and if they feed me a line of BS I'm usually pretty good at picking through that. I will report back when I do. Thanks again everybody.

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mt. Angel Oregon. Check out Pastime Campers or visit Apache Camping in Portland. Basic, solid campers. Light enough for your truck and perfect for hunting. And no leaks. They seal the heck out of em.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Bigfootchevy
Explorer
Explorer
You wrote: "6) Northern lite and bigfoots. Seem to be the holy grail of campers. But i've also heard complaints about not handling off road very well. Is this just opinion or is in warranted? I thought about buying an older used one and getting the width cut down to fit my newer box, but two quotes of $2400 detoured me from this. They seem to be a good deal for someone with an older truck though since the used market on them is limited to wider box older trucks."

You are the second person that I have read about that "heard complaints about not handling off road very well." I just never have had any concerns about taking my Bigfoot anywhere and have never read about anyone who owns one having problems either.

What do you mean "getting the width cut down to fit my newer box,"?

Paul

Bonesquatch
Explorer
Explorer
I'd steer clear of Palomino too. The price is tempting and they look nice, but workmanship is lacking. It's a good starter model for someone who's not too tough on their gear, but the one I have (bought used) is in pretty sad shape with lots of rot in the frame, leaks, and openings at the tent corners. After reading up on them I discovered that plenty of other people have problems with Palomino. I just traded up to a hard side.
That's my 2 cents anyway.
"That's just...like...your opinion...man..."--The Dude
2012 Chevy 2500 HD
2012 Lance 850

MartyG2
Explorer
Explorer
Off road camper
Check this out, it's made for off-road.

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a number of campers, including two pop-ups. I would not throw them out; especially if you are in the bush a lot. Up here on Vancouver Island, there are lot of retired logging roads you can get to if you have the clearances.

I have had new Palomino pop-top. It lasted less than one season. The thing was not very well put together. We took a loss and dumped it for the well used Starcraft pop-top. Never looked back.

One of my combinations was a full size Chevy 4X4 with an import Starcraft pop-top. The camper was as wide as the box; no overhang. The narrowness meant that if I could get my mirrors through the alder, the rest of the rig would fit. It also meant it wasn't top heavy when maneuvering on sketchy washed out corners. For the bush, it was the best setup.

My current 18.5 ft fifth wheel is great too as it's an older model at 8' wide and gets into some great places because of the size. Stay as small as you can if you really want to get in to all of those back woods places.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

eou_edu
Explorer
Explorer
5) Sorry guys I didn't mean to knock your capri campers. Sometimes you have to jump to conclusions when you don't have 100 of hrs to research everything. I could be talked back into a capri camper however. This was being based on a thread I read about someone replacing one that was rotted out then a few more people weighing in on how they leak. Of course you know how threads go and guys saying that about something they haven't owned (guess I was just guilty of that as well). I'm actually glad I'm hearing from two people that really like theirs. What is the construction of the roof? Is there something about how they are construction that would make them less prone to leaks?

Bigimac
Explorer
Explorer
I too own a Capri camper & would be very interested where you found leak reports. Are you sure the reports are for Capri TC, not Coachman Capri trailer?
2013 Capri Sportsman Grande
2015 Chevy Crew cab 3500HD SWD gasser
Toyo Open Ctry ATII 275 70R/18
10150# loaded; 10.5 mpg @ 70mph

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I question this one:

" 5) Capri campers: I'm tempted by these but they seem to have a lot of leak reports"

I owned two of them and didn't have even the tiniest of leaks.

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
For a camper you are just going to have to look at what is available used in your area. Just a few general comments, if you go look at a camper and the weeds/grass are 3 ' tall under the camper it may not have been taken care of. If it's sitting under a carport or in a garage/barn there's a chance it has been taken care of. I don't care what brand you buy they ALL have the potential to leak, they just move around to much to not possibly leak. A good inspection is key........inside and out ! Also try to judge if the seller is honest or not this is a tough one but your gut will probably send out warning signals if it just doesn't feel right. Being a Stable Lift owner I am biased but for my Avion C11 restoration it is the best solution and I will never get rid of it. Good luck in your search.