cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok, now what? Kodiak 206 vs Jayco 23b

unh044
Explorer
Explorer
So, we thought we had a deal arranged for a new 2016 Jayco x23b. But, in doing a little more digging, we found that the deal we had wasn't as good as it sounded. Also, we learned some more about options, and discovered that the one we were about to buy didn't have what we wanted. So, after all this, we can't get the Jayco x23B with the options we want unless we factory order it (arrival in Nov/Dec), pay more money (ugh), or drive several hundred miles.

I've found a Dutchmen Kodiak 206es nearby, which looks like the same floorplan as the x23b. I'll be digging into these more, but I haven't seen much on here about them. Does any one have one? Are there differences between the two? Obviously, I'm assuming the warranty is different (haven't looked at Kodiak yet). Anything else?

Sooner or later I'll stop posting "what should I get" questions... I promise! (Of course, then they will be, "How do i..." questions..LOL)
2016 K-Z Spree 329IK Bunkhouse
2017 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab
17 REPLIES 17

FerrisFamilyof5
Explorer
Explorer
RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN FROM THE KODIAK! I have a 2013 210ES and am having a ton of issues. Keystone/Dutchmen is horrible to work with. so far the things i have had to deal with. Light plug for tent end not hooked up, support for the slide pulled out of the floor. Outside sprayer will not seat properly and need to have hose attached when ever i use water. Tent ends ripped in corners because the tent ends weren't set up right. and finally, the rubber roof has separated from the roof. Blows up like a pillow when driving. I fixed the light, warranty covered the support, tent ends we went 50/50 with Dutchmen after threatening to call our lawyer, roof not fixed yet. dealership is fighting hard for either Dicor ( roof manufacturer) or Keystone/Dutchmen to pick up the tab at 5 to 7000 dollars. I paid 18,900 and will have met almost half the worth in repairs. Just my 2 cents. But there are many who are complaining about Thor and all the brands under them (cruiser, KZ, Dutchmen, keystone, and a few others as well)

as for traveling to get what you want... my in-laws found a camper here in WNY really liked it, local dealer wanted around $30,000 for it. They ended up driving to Iowa and bought the same model number, a 2015 mind you as opposed to the 2014 they walked through at the local dealer, for just over $18,000. A savings of $12,000! so a 700 mile road trip which maybe cost a grand, saved the $11,000 over all. do your research on rvtrader.com. you'll be amazed at the price variances.
Nights camped in 2016 - 31
2015 Forest River Vibe
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
me daHusband :C
daWife :?
daSon :B
daBaby boy 😛 (ok so he's 13...still daBaby)
daDog

gwh1bass
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a few hundred miles to get the one you wanted at the price you wanted would be worth it in my opinion!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I really don't have any idea how todays newer trailers stack up since after lets say 2010 where the manufacturer concept was changed to go as lite-weight as you could go... Prior to 2010 I would say the JAYCO trailers were among the best construction wise.

Also I guess you have discussed among yourself which TENT BED will be your primary bedroom. In our OFF-ROAD POPUP trailer with Tent beds on both ends we found out rather quick that with our style of camping off the beaten trails that the front tent bed would give us the best protection feelings from two legged and four legged creatures that might be in the area by having the trailer tongue under the bed. Of course you would be sleeping directly over the top of the Propane tanks and battery banks.

Our POPUP trailer front tent bed is a direct route for getting into the bed without having to crawl over anything... This might be important to some folks... We are fortunate to also have a 5x8 front deck which moves the battery banks and the propane tanks almost completely out from under the front extended tent bed...

Our Starcraft 14 R/T POPUP trailer with tent beds extended

I notice the 206ES floorplan has a wrap around seating arrangement in front of the front tent bed which is also another bed setup so depending how folks are with you sleeping in the trailer you would crawling over a bunch of folks to get into bed haha... The rear tent bed probably would be our primary sleeping area in the 206ES floorplan since it is close to the bathroom and has a direct route to use to climb up into the bed.

This is probably a more private area especially if you have kids with you or visiting folks... You will also want to get as far away as you can from the Propane Furnace installed location as its 12VDC Blower assembly will drive you nuts. It will be very loud.. Even today I wake up everytime it kicks on...

There is a surprisingly alot of head room beneath our rear tent bed and the open ground below. You will hear all sort of noises under the trailer when camping off the power grid location... The wife was always saying "Did you you hear that?" when we was sleeping on that side. Never really bothered all that much until we started camping in the Wichita Mtns Wildife refuge near Medicine Park, OKLA and after a few grunts and snorts one night this is similar of what we saw the morning just 15 feet away from us.

Google Image...

You had to watch where you stepped at night finding your favorite 'pee' tree in the dark...

Roy and Carolyn
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS