Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

on board generator

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all...

how crazy is it to think about installing a generator somewhere in our '07 Arctic Fox trailer..??..

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..
20 REPLIES 20

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If the RV is not genset ready consider mounting generator on rear or tongue mounted platform.
I had a genset mounted to a custom made platform on my prior TT.
It can be done

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Without it being generator ready it would be a hassle unless it had a dedicated generator compartment, metal lined. Generator ready usually has a built in transfer switch, fuel line and electric wire to generator, metal lined and vented compartment sealed from trailer, for fire and carbonmonoxide.

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
nike holley wrote:
Hey all...

how crazy is it to think about installing a generator somewhere in our '07 Arctic Fox trailer..??..

Nate
Is your Arctic Fox generator ready?

No... I don't think so...
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
nike holley wrote:
Hey all...

Nate
Is your Arctic Fox generator ready?

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I'd be pretty willing to bet that no manufacturer is going to sanction the installation of a generator, transfer switch and fuel tank in one of their trailers. Now if it was originally an option on that model they may do it for you if you return it to the factory but it probably won't be cheap.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
nike holley wrote:
Hey all...

Nate

Depends on the trailer. Call Arctic Fox and see what they say about it.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
I have my eu3000is mounted on a rack above the propane bottles. The rack is built by Stromberg-Carlson. Not exactly built in but I just run the cord up, plug it in and crank her up. I suppose I could permanently wire it with a transfer switch but so far haven't seen the need.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put it on there . Ain't no big deal ! I have mounted gens on the front or the back for fourteen years . No problems , no thefts , if ya do it right there is very little vibration . We dry camp 100 days a year in our jobs . We have a Honda 3,000 on the back of our Forrest River on a platform with the spare and a bunch of chocks , is the sky gonna fall; .

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have done it on my last TT.
It was great. The only reason I haven't done it on my present TT, is that the built in units do not use inverter technology like the portables do.
The fuel savings, especially when gas was expensive will pay for my Hondas in short order.
My generator install
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
nike holley wrote:
Hey all...

Nate
For what use? Battery charging? TV/laptop/cell phone? Microwave/hairdryer? 24/7 air conditioning?

For the price, weight and space of an ONAN and fuel consider solar, more battery and inverter.

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
Built in has it's perks as mentioned above..I have a built in for a 21ft class C and do like it for some stuff but I always revert to my smaller Honda 2K for boondocking and charging batteries because it consumes much less fuel than the Onan 4k and ofcourse,it's quieter.

They both have there place.If I had to choose it would be my Honda 3k mounted to the trailer or motorhome..Best gen set I have ever owned.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I recently posted a question about mounting a generator on the tongue of our Arctic Fox 26x. The responses ranged from it shouldn't be done because of the Noise and Vibrations, Emission Concerns, or the Negatives of adding to much Tongue Weight. None of which I've experienced before with our prior RV's, and all were equipped with on-board factory installed generators. I was expecting a few more replies on the how to, and not so much on the reasons of not to. We each have our experiences, for myself, I've now purchased a Remote Start Inverter Generator that I can easily use while inside the Camper Shell of our truck. There are several Videos on U-Tube that discuss Portable Generators. My needs were Fueling, Cooling, and Exhausting from inside the shell. All very simple and inexpensive.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Built in is all about convenience.Built in is not cheaper but it is easier.
You do not need to plan to use a built in. You do not need to boondock to user a built in. You do not need chains, parallel cables, or gas cans to use a built in.
There is nothing to lift,set up or secure.
Built in is all about push button convenience. Want electric just push a button and you can have as much power as you need. Stop for lunch and use the microwave.Stop to site see or to eat just leave dog inside RV with A/C on.
Overnight at Wal mart just press a button and you have full electric

Mount the A/C on the towable RV and the unit is totally self contained. If the tow vehicle is needed elsewhere the RV still has secure electric available.
The only real drawback to a built in vs. portable is price.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
After years of hauling around portables, I think it's a good idea.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman