cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oldest PUP still being used?

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on the lookout for a Vintage PUP (loosely using the term vintage here, like 60-90s PUP) to pull with MY "ULTIMATE 4 cyl tow vehicle".

So, my question is.. who has the oldest PUP still being used?

Of course there are budget constraints or else I would just go get a new quicksilver Livin' lite camper.. but i'm going to have to buy a vintage one on the cheap and spend the money making it new again. (Canvas, cushions, tires, brakes, etc)

So lets hear about your older pup... brand, year, and pictures if possible ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
12 REPLIES 12

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
tailgunn wrote:
1971 Jayco...I forgot what model it is. lol. It's pretty original but has been kept up pretty good. Having my first weekend with it on Memorial Day.

Awesome!

Keep us posted after your weekend!!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

tailgunn
Explorer
Explorer
1971 Jayco...I forgot what model it is. lol. It's pretty original but has been kept up pretty good. Having my first weekend with it on Memorial Day.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Inthelooneybin,

I know what you mean about cold camps, while not in the zero weather we have done some pretty cold camps. With the campgrounds to yourself nobody notices your snowshoes or that the dog is not on a leash. ๐Ÿ™‚

It is a unique experience not appreciated by too many.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Before Jayco Australia , Gerry Ryan used to work for Franklin Caravans who made the Sunwagon, This is a 1970 example just recently sold.

Intheloonybin
Explorer
Explorer
Ours isn't old, but worth mentioning.

We have a '99 Coleman/Fleetwood pup. When we bought it in 2005, the salesman said "this one has seen a lot of camping!".

Then we took over.

Second weekend owning it we said "South Dakota!". 600 miles to Rapid City on Memorial day weekend with no reservations. Ended up in Walmart's parking lot on a night with 50 MPH winds trying to sleep. It got better from there.

Since then, we camped the heck out of state parks leading up to "the trip". Three weeks covering the entire southwestern US. 10,000 miles in that three weeks. Best trip of our lives.

Through all of this, we discovered fall/winter camping. In Minnesota. We have now camped down to -10F in a blizzard; that wasn't predicted in the weather forecast! We have frequented around 0 temps overnight. We love fall/winter because there aren't many people camping then. But, we just finished our first "summer" camping trip in three years last weekend. We celebrated running water, non-bundled walks to the NOT freezing cold pit bathrooms. We finally had a camp fire.

All of this in an all original canvassed '99 pup. Not bad.
HVAC/R tech.
2006 GMC Envoy XL 4.2 I6 1999 Coleman Niagara
2 Great girls 19 and 17
1 Great wife
1 Wonderful Goldendoodle

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 1980 Starcraft that was very well made and easy to work on. With some 2x4s you can almost take the roof off of the lift arms by yourself. It was very easy to replace the lift cables using steel wire from home depot. People make custom canvas replacements for about $600-$750. I think it weighed around 1,100 lbs and we pulled it with a v6 4runner and didn't see any drop in mpg. It wasn't big on amenities but did have a propane cooktop and a fresh water tank with manual pump.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

clskinsfan
Explorer
Explorer
1993 Skamper 19 here. I also have a TT but I use the Pup just as much. Bought it from a couple who had kept it in the garage for 20 years and only used it a few times. There are deals out there. You just have to be patient.

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 1986 Palomino hardiside in new condition.
Bought it four years ago from original owner who only used it a fer times.
All outside yellowed plastic has been replaced. Inside is mint.

mrquacker
Explorer
Explorer
Ours is a 1997 Dutchmen Duck (entry level). It's getting a little worn, but still going strong. One nice feature it has: it's so basic, there is little to break. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
We host at a campground. Just last week there was one camping here that was from the 1950's!

It only had a fold out bunk on one end. But I have to say, it looked like new!

The owner told us that it has been passed down through three generations. They replaced the canvas once.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine is a 2008 Starcraft 14 R/T - great shape

The only thing wrong with mine is the AWNING Bag has dry rotted away starting a couple of years ago. Have done some quick fixes but this season I am pretty sure it must come off the trailer. The heavy awning material is ok just the bag that holds it all up have its threads going away. BONDEBOND from AR has a good fix for me re-sewing up the threads with a hand sewer kit but I have never tried it yet. His POPUP suffered same fate.

My TENT ENDS probably would have suffered the same fate but I have been using 9x12 tarps (POOR MAN GIZMOs) over both ends all neatly folded. Tent ends looks good as new...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure there are many old PUPs being used but I wonder how many are "good" old PUPs. When I was looking for a used PUP, most of the ones I found by private owners were pretty sad.

I did find a nice Palimino about 10 years ago but even it eventually leaked at the seams and the inner window seams tore when they were zipped up.

My wife and I have put a lot of work into keeping it water tight.

We now own a TT but I kept the PUP because sometimes it is a better choice for the type of camping we want to do.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.