cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Opinions on folding entrance steps

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
My TC don't have a rear step bumper, it's a pop up and I've been contemplating a set of fold up steps because it's a PITA to get into and out of with my always present step stool.

Anyone have any recommendations on what is best?

I see there are a number of brands available but I have no clue as to what is best, easiest to install, easiest to store and how sturdy they are.

Guess I need some first hand advice before making the purchase in as much as none are inexpensive.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB
45 REPLIES 45

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Part V:
Undeterred, I finally took the advice of one savvy TC-er on here and got the specs for several sizes of the Little Giant. I settled on the 4 step and removed the hoop. With hoop:

Without hoop on uneven ground:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Pt. 4:
Over time, from this and that hard use the lower wood frame member going across the back of the camper began to weaken, both from the stiffness of the steps unfolding but also the weight on the weakened attachment bolts, now with 6 holes instead of 4 since the Step-ups and the Glowsteps had completely different spacings. What to do...what to do. I read on here, probably from someone previous to this post, that a sturdy step ladder could be the ticket. Hmm? I had an old 1950's aluminum, two-sided step ladder that was a bit short but would work on a hard surface as the bottoms had virtually no foot pad. Then I cruised the internet for other ladders that might work. It was difficult to get concrete info on almost all ladders of that ilk. So I bought another and cut off the top hoop thinking that might work. BZZZZT! Wrong, camper breath. It was very light but a bit tall. We took it on a trip and had to move it to close the door or screen.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
parte trois,
The unexpected result was the steps would fold down AND under the overhang of the camper and be corralled by a couple black rubber bungees.

Other configs:

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
part due:
They get rusty, especially after going on routes like the Mojave Road, full of Soda and Salts. Here the problem was a stiffening of the operation after getting silt, sand or dust in the workings. When you tried to open the steps, you had to use a lot of pull to make that happen. Luckily, they were pretty loose already so the net result was a slight tightening of the moving parts. Next came THE showcase hanging steps for truck campers: Glow Steps. I got the 4 step model which was a bit too short for my slightly lifted, bigger tired Dodge, whose bed sits the highest of the big 3 anyway. They are very well made with all aluminum hardware and are very 'tight'; a little too tight when you get that silt or sand in the workings. I added those same (4) aluminum straps to the top of the stairs making the first step out of the camper down about 8 inches, not like a landing, parallel to the threshold. We could live with that.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
We'll give this one more try, cut into tiny bites.
Now you've done it! You ask for opinions on steps solutions: here's a chapter in my research. Our Lance Lite 8.5 foot, 165-s extended cab (N-S-bed) came with some narrow and rather rickety, 4 tread aluminum steps that hung on hangers bolted through the wooden lower frame of the camper. They were manufactured by step-up products. They are now 20 years old and are showing their age. A short cut in the production process was the use of ferrous rivets instead of aluminum fasteners. I added the (4) aluminum strips to lengthen the overall drop. These were bolted to the rear bracket with no easy way to have them walk away in the night.

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I've got scissor steps and am not too fond of them. Mostly because they block access to my basement door when folded up. I'm thinking about using my cargo carrier and a 2 step Rubbermaid stool. Store it in the camper when going down the road. On my previous TC back in the 1980's, the previous owner built steps from plywood covered with AstroTurf and stored them inside the camper. It worked very good. Relatively light, cheap, and the AstroTurf didn't damage anything inside. Good for cleaning your boots off as well.
I might add that ice is almost invisible on scissor steps. Don't ask.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
I jus received my Little Giant step ladder, very sturdy, way better than my accordion steps.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
I have the hitch step that Whizbang showed paired with a 12 inch hitch extension. I also carry a two step Rubbermaid stepladder if the ground drops off even further.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
AnEv942 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
All well and good. Problem is, I have no bumper / step. I'm like Whizbang but my TC overhangs the rear a bit. I have about 2" below the door sill and thats it. and it's camper body (Filon), not steel. I think my answer will be a Little Giant folding ladder but I have no idea where to get one...

I thought you were looking at stairs. There are less expensive scissor steps than Torklift but mounting is similar. But if a step ladder works, certainly less expensive.
Intent of first response was mounting option - to your wall. Many campers do not have rear bumper and steps are mounted directly to wall. Assuming there was some kind of structure under door, splitting bracket gets you out from under door if you don't have height, bracket's 1 1/4" wide.

The purpose of my OP was to garner information from actual users and then be able to make an informed decision as to which way to go. One great thing about forums like this is the knowledge base.

No point in my trying to re-invent the wheel, others already have the first hand experience.

Makes my search easier, less painful and less expensive to boot. I sure as heck don't want to have a failed attempt at mounting an entry system and then have holes in my camper skin. That certainly isn't a good thing.

If I was young and spry, the wooden stepladder I was using would be fine (other than carrying it) but I'm not and neither is my wife so we need something stable and safe.
2015 Backpack SS1500

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set of the expensive torklift steps on my last TC. They were definitely good quality and well made. Having said that I didn't like them. They were heavy, they had to be strapped down or they'd swing going down the hwy, and they are still a narrow tread. Did I mention they are crazy expensive? So I removed them and got the Little Giant step ladder. Love it. And like said above it is useful to reach things on the outside of the camper, especially since I have a popup. My current TC came with a set of Brophy scissor steps and they are a death trap, worse than the torqlifts. Luckily I still have the Little Giant ladder so those scissor steps sit in the shed unused. Don't do it.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:
All well and good. Problem is, I have no bumper / step. I'm like Whizbang but my TC overhangs the rear a bit. I have about 2" below the door sill and thats it. and it's camper body (Filon), not steel. I think my answer will be a Little Giant folding ladder but I have no idea where to get one...

I thought you were looking at stairs. There are less expensive scissor steps than Torklift but mounting is similar. But if a step ladder works, certainly less expensive.
Intent of first response was mounting option - to your wall. Many campers do not have rear bumper and steps are mounted directly to wall. Assuming there was some kind of structure under door, splitting bracket gets you out from under door if you don't have height, bracket's 1 1/4" wide.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tizi wrote:
I had scissor steps on my last NL, I hated those things. Nearly busted my neck by falling off once.

I'm looking at all the alternatives at this point. I know my leaning ladder method is dangerous. Last year the ladder slipped and I almost busted my melon getting in the camper...woke me right up.
2015 Backpack SS1500

Tizi
Explorer
Explorer
I had scissor steps on my last NL, I hated those things. Nearly busted my neck by falling off once.
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 - HEMI
2007 Northern Lite 10.2 RR
Tizi's Transformer by Whazoo

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
wnjj wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:

Amazon. Search for other sizes. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005V5MF/ref=asc_df_B00005V5MF4953183/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&cre...

We love ours. Sturdiest ladder I've ever used. Maybe you can rig a way to store it up under the rear overhang you have. Maybe a hitch rack?

The handle folds down, or you can drill the rivets and remove it for good.

My question is, what do you do with the top bar. It's in the way. Do you cut it off or is it removable?

That's what I called the handle. It folds down against the front arms, or you can remove it permanently if you drill the rivets.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wizbang... I pull a trailer with mu quads on it. I would need that plus a ball hitch on the end. The PUP TC's are a pita for entry and egress for sure.
2015 Backpack SS1500