cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

out with the old and in with the new

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
So the King Ranch is heading out after 5 years of reliable service. Hopefully the new truck is as good. The cost of ownership was about 20,000 for fuel; 19,000 for depreciation; roughly 5500 for insurance and registration; 1650 for tires and repairs; 850 for oil and filters. Grand total of 47,000 for 5 years and 92000 miles. $.51/mile.....not bad eh.

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
50 REPLIES 50

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
1jeep wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
1jeep wrote:
the platinum seats are real leather, I was surprised how soft, I never had an issue with my old lariat leather/vinyl.

Where I bought my platinum they had a KR parked next to it which was about $2k cheaper, I would have bought that one but the wife liked the white platinum better.

The King Ranch is a slightly more expensive truck than the Platinum, when equipped to the same level. When you buy a Platinum it has pretty well every option under the sun save the sunroof. The King Ranch can be stripped back a little further to the point that it can be 2 or 3 thousand cheaper than a Platinum.

per fords website
http://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/#/select/
f350 KR is $53830
f350 platinum is $56150

it appears there is a bigger price gap than I originally thought.

Until you start adding things, I built one and it totaled $74,000+! Now with that said you can do that with any of the trucks if you want. BTW that's USD pricing not Canadian.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:
in Canada things must be different than in the US ... if you look at the link I sent you can see the pricing on Fords website.

BTW...almost all of the super duties form lariat on up have the 20" wheels, actually I have yet to see one without and I know they were standard on my 2011 lariat. Maybe that's a USA thing?

I believe the 20" wheels were included in the the Lariat ultimate package.

Prices are different for all the options in Canada vs USA but I went onto the link you provided and I built a Platinum identical to mine and the list price on it was $69980.

I priced an equivalent KR and the list price is $71,330.

So the King Ranch has an MSRP of $1,350 more than a similar equipped Platinum in the USA.

The things that I noticed that come standard on the Platinum that are optional on the KR are: the 20 inch wheels; chrome package; and the tailgate step.

Edit:

In the dually the Platinum comes closer to the price of the KR. A loaded Platinum dually comes out to $72746 and a similar King Ranch come to only $145 more at $72901. I don't understand what the difference is but anyway that is all according to the Ford.com build and price.
B&W Companion

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4x4ord

I am curious did you consider waiting for or ordering a "NEW" 2017?

I did consider it. I have three main reasons for choosing the 2016.
First: I really like the 2011 to 2016. Ford has been refining an already proven chassis for years and in 15 they made some nice improvements to what I think is an incredible power train.
Second: The timing in Canada seems right. The used market is a little inflated due to the USD vs CAD exchange rate. Yet my local dealer is hungry for sales and is offering very good deals on the new 2016 trucks. Rumor has it the 2017 will come with a much steeper price tag.
Thirdly I like the idea of giving Ford a little time to work the bugs out of the totally redesigned upcoming model.

After the 2017 comes out I will have the option of trading my 2016 for the new one or waiting.
B&W Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord

I am curious did you consider waiting for or ordering a "NEW" 2017?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
in Canada things must be different than in the US ... if you look at the link I sent you can see the pricing on Fords website.

BTW...almost all of the super duties form lariat on up have the 20" wheels, actually I have yet to see one without and I know they were standard on my 2011 lariat. Maybe that's a USA thing?
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
The base Platinum is almost loaded. The base KR is not. The base Platinum comes with the chrome package and 20" wheels for instance. Seems to me, in Canada, a KR equipped exactly the same as the Platinum (other than you can't get a heated steering wheel on the KR) is $1400 more than the Platinum.
B&W Companion

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
1jeep wrote:
the platinum seats are real leather, I was surprised how soft, I never had an issue with my old lariat leather/vinyl.

Where I bought my platinum they had a KR parked next to it which was about $2k cheaper, I would have bought that one but the wife liked the white platinum better.

The King Ranch is a slightly more expensive truck than the Platinum, when equipped to the same level. When you buy a Platinum it has pretty well every option under the sun save the sunroof. The King Ranch can be stripped back a little further to the point that it can be 2 or 3 thousand cheaper than a Platinum.

per fords website
http://shop.ford.com/build/superduty/#/select/
f350 KR is $53830
f350 platinum is $56150

it appears there is a bigger price gap than I originally thought.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dodge Guy is directing that at me and I take no offense to the comment whatsoever. For someone who buys a truck solely for RVing almost 10,000/year for the cost of running just the TV might start sounding a little scary. The thing about it is that when you total up all your costs you discover that running a vehicle is expensive. So if I had bought a 10 year old depreciated out truck for 15 thousand and been fairly fortunate with it and had say 3000 on repairs over the last 5 years and managed to sell it now as a 15 year old truck with 300,000 miles for lets say $6k I would have maybe cut my expenses down to about 39k over 5 years.
B&W Companion

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
dodge guy....im not certain who your directing that at, but if you must know this vehicle is paid for by my wifes business, additionally I do plan to keep It for maybe 6 years.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
$47000for 5 years of ownership!!!!!!? I don`t care how you break it down that sounds awful, No thanks!

Either way, enjoy the new truck. nice color too!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe in Canada but not the ones I looked at they both had the same heavy tow, 4:30 gears, spray in bed liner and 5th wheel prep. the KR was black and brown sticker was $73700. I bought the white platinum that was next to it sticker was $74250.

both had the same exact options listed.
the KR is still on their lot

http://www.primefordauburn.com/car/553936/New_2016_Ford_Super_Duty_F_350_DRW_King_Ranch

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:

B&W Companion

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
It seams to be the nature of the King Ranch leather that causes the finish to show wear. It is just the finish that shows wear...there is no tears or scratches in the leather. I think the synthetic products can be engineered with surfaces that wear better. I'm not certain, but I think, the Platinum seats are genuine leather as well....they sure feel authentic. So, they might not be real durable either. I really like the look of the black interior but it is going to be much harder to keep clean.
B&W Companion