cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outback owners

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
I'm seriously looking at a 2015 OUTBACK 277RL. This is a used unit with an asking price of $26,745 which sounds pretty high.

I would love to hear from other Outback owners about overall quality, problems to look for and opinion on price. We may sit down with them on Friday to see what deal we can make.
29 REPLIES 29

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
TSeck wrote:
We've had ours for several years and really enjoy it. No problems so far.

Happy for you, just make sure you''ve got the required muscle to pull it! And don't reply on the dealer to make that assessment.

Not a problem there, we have an '11 GMC Sierra 2500HD. I added a Progressive Industries hardwired EMS-HW30C last week. I also added an under body sewer hose holder. Since we have 3 tanks I needed the extra hose storage. So far it has been a wonderful trailer, pulling out Thursday for Ashville.

TSeck
Explorer
Explorer
We've had ours for several years and really enjoy it. No problems so far.

Happy for you, just make sure you''ve got the required muscle to pull it! And don't reply on the dealer to make that assessment.
N. Fla. Family of 6 (2 Eagle Scouts!)
Looking at full time RV after retirement in 3 years.

boblinfoto
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
There is an Outback Forum !I think its outbackers .com
Yeah, but heaven forbid you should forget your password, because resetting it won't happen regardless of the email they say to expect. Most posts are more than 3 years old, and the new administrator apparently is asking for money for membership.
2009 Outback Sydney Edition 321FRL 5th wheel, 2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, 4 dogs, 2 cats

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Beautiful trailer! Congrats!

The first mod I would suggest is a power tongue jack... About a 3-4K unit....will make hitching up a breeze.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

LOL....I have an Atwood 80718 in the deal. That's the first thing I told the salesman when I sat down to work out the deal.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Cougars and outbacks share some very similar plans/layouts/models etc. I believe that one reason there are so many similar brands from Keystone is to give different dealers different "brands" to sell.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful trailer! Congrats!

The first mod I would suggest is a power tongue jack... About a 3-4K unit....will make hitching up a breeze.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your find. I think you'll find the Cougar to be very dependable and very comfortable too. It's a good choice.

You do know that Cougars and Outbacks are both Keystone products. That makes them cousins you know? All the "models" under Outback are brothers and sisters. All the "models" under Cougar are brothers and sisters. But their grandpa is "Keystone". And his daddy is "Thor Industries."

So ... welcome to the family! .... cousin!
Click here for the Thor Industries Family line of campers.

Kevin_O_
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice! Best of luck with it!
KEVIN :C
DW-Debbie :R
DS-Tyler 11yrs old:D
DD-Makayla 8yrs old:p
MERIDEN,CT
2001 Ford Powerstroke F350 Lariat
2012 Keystone Outback 292BH-OLD
2016 Jayco 29.5BHDS-NEW

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we have friends with cougars, IMHO they are very very comparable to an outback. Big thing is you found what you wanted. Congrat's

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Well our search for the Outback has taken quite a turn. We were ready to sit down and negotiate and stumbled upon a very gently used 2014 Keystone Cougar 31RKS that was traded for a park model. Long story made short, its coming home next Saturday. I was thinking about upgrading my hitch for some time and pulled the trigger on the Blue Ox Swaypro.

Here are a couple pics:

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs...

We swapped out the 13.5 air conditioner for a 15.0 this last summer ... (BIG difference!) We were originally looking into having a 2nd air conditioner in the bed room, but our dealership said they couldn't (or wouldn't) do it. We have the 13.5 in our shed, hoping someone can use it. My wife put it on Craigs List but without the inside flange with the controls and vents and filter, seems no one wants it.

It still runs good. But that 15.0 is so much better. It was a good move and money well sent.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
ktmrfs and I have shared a bit about our Outbacks. His is a couple years older than mine. Some time ago, he told me the only difference between the 295RE (his) and mine (298RE is the closet slide in the bed room). I do know the Outback has been around a while now. Their popularity is growing in central Indiana over the last few years. Their 5th wheel models aren't too shabby either.

ktmrfs ... I follow your post and comments if you didn't know! I appreciate your comments, you are pretty much always right on, or else we just think alike (I'm not sure). I think, maybe, because we PM'ed each other right after I got my Outback and you provided some really good insight and calmed my anxieties. You convinced me, the Outback is a good camper, and ever since I just took that as a positive and never looked negative again. I suppose it paid off (positive thinking about my Outback... because I've not had any issues with mine!)

So, camperforlife.... I think you're considering a pretty good camper! Feel confident and move on forward!

thanks much, glad to be of help to fellow campers.

And yes, the 298RE is a 295RE with a bedroom wardrobe slide and about 1ft longer overall to get room for the slide. bedroom is about 1ft longer. And about 200lb more empty weight, but the same allowed cargo weight. they increased GVWR.

We bought our 295RE about 2 months before the 298 came out. I mentioned to the sales guy, the only thing we would like improved was more wardrobe and storeage space in the Bedroom. He said, well let me show you what just came out. Missed it by a few months. But it was an indication that Outback was listening to customers.

ONE downside to the 295/298, and many other trailers this size, regardless of mfg is that they usually come with ONE 13.5KBTU AC unit. That can be pretty marginal. Even in Oregon where it isn't that hot in the summer (except last summer) A single 13.5K AC unit works pretty hard.

If your in a hot climate, go for at least the 15K unit, if not the dual AC unit or Dual unit prep that is offered.

Well, the other downside it that the length can limit ones choice of campsites and campgrounds, but that's a tradeoff on virtually all longer trailers.

W_E_BGood
Explorer
Explorer
Another site for input is keystonerv.org

And we have really enjoyed our Outback! ๐Ÿ™‚

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs and I have shared a bit about our Outbacks. His is a couple years older than mine. Some time ago, he told me the only difference between the 295RE (his) and mine (298RE is the closet slide in the bed room). I do know the Outback has been around a while now. Their popularity is growing in central Indiana over the last few years. Their 5th wheel models aren't too shabby either.

ktmrfs ... I follow your post and comments if you didn't know! I appreciate your comments, you are pretty much always right on, or else we just think alike (I'm not sure). I think, maybe, because we PM'ed each other right after I got my Outback and you provided some really good insight and calmed my anxieties. You convinced me, the Outback is a good camper, and ever since I just took that as a positive and never looked negative again. I suppose it paid off (positive thinking about my Outback... because I've not had any issues with mine!)

So, camperforlife.... I think you're considering a pretty good camper! Feel confident and move on forward!