cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying it forward

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I have a philosophy of not missing an opportunity to help out. It always comes back to us! Backing into a tight campsite I caught the umbilical cord somehow and severed some of the wires. I had the tools and connectors to repair it at the campsite. When I was done the directionals and the brake lights weren't working on the trailer. Neighbor came over to help. Sure enough he was an electrician. Quickly diagnosed the problem as a blown fuse in the van. Used a meter to determine which one, number 48, 20 amp. Popped in a new one and problem solved. Always pay it forward.
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
5 REPLIES 5

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I sold a pair of tow mirrors on a Jayco forum I follow and the buyer sent me a $50 gift card in addition to the payment for the mirrors. It was around Christmas time and that money helped me buy gifts for my kids.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to help out when it does not come back around:-)

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
when we eat at Waffle House, any one in uniform we pay for there meal. Our biggest day cost us $90. But we felt really good, and no we never let them know we did it.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we were on a trip to Nova Scotia. My TV was at "that age" where stuff was beginning to happen. Along the way I was beginning to suspect an exhaust leak. It wasn't much of anything, but it was a concern because we were 900 miles from home. As I pulled in to one campsite, I was pretty certain I was hearing some extra noise. Not much, but definitely there.

The next morning I was crawling around under the truck to see what I could see. The neighbor stopped by. He said, yeah, he had heard a bit of a leak when I pulled in the night before. He crawled under with me and found the source of a very minor leak. Actually two of them. One was a bolt that had rotted and fallen out, and the other was a minor crack in one of the pipes.

He told me that - get this - he had recently sold his business - a muffler shop(!) in a town about 45 minutes away. He told me that one of his biggest competitors was a man of great integrity and would help me out with this. Not wanting to miss out on this opportunity, I went the next day to this fellow's shop. He took care of me and charged me a total of about $10, if I remember correctly. He replaced the missing bolt, welded the crack, and the weld lasted many years until I eventually sold the truck.

When I got back to the campground, he was gone. He had moved on. I never got a chance to properly thank him. Now THAT fellow was paying it forward. Actually both of them were.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

2lazy4U
Explorer
Explorer
I agree and try to do so when I can. I always enjoy buying the order of the car behind me at the coffee drive-through. They don't know who did it, so it's totally anon, which makes it even better. Helping others makes the helper and helpee feel good.