cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pennsylvania RV Show Hershey, Pa. Sept 11-15th

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Was happy to see three TC manufacturers being represented at the Hershey RV show today.....Palomino, Lance, and Host. Palomino had 4 models there, Lance had about 10, and a dealer for Host showed off their new Mammoth triple slide. Last time I was there a few years back I dont recall seeing any TCs there. Hopefully this will be the new trend for some of the eastern RV shows.
I might add that the Host mammoth was very roomy and spacious, but thats about all I was impressed with. There were too many things that I did not like about it, mostly related to overall build quality. Sorry, but Im a stickler for build quality and fit and finish. Some probably arent as fussy and thats OK. We all have our quirks.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods
4 REPLIES 4

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, thanks for the detailed explanation. A little surprising, especially considering it's one of the most expensive ones out there.

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
05btdvw wrote:
What were the things you noticed on the Host not being up to snuff?

I did not go thru it with a fine tooth comb, but a few things I quickly noticed were:
The shelving boards inside the pantry cabinet are too thin. I could lightly press down on them and they would bow down. A few cans of food on those and they will all be sagging. The shelving is also cheaply attached to the inside.
The rounded sliding bathroom door was already starting to come apart.The track hardware was loose and the door was starting to bind. The piano hinges on the door were covered over with wood grain tape which was starting to peel off already. Looks like it could be a continual maintenance issue.
Plastic corner molding below the toilet was not fastened properly and starting to pull loose. I could see where it was just lightly nailed and the nails were letting go.
The wood tone on some of the cabinet doors did not match the color of the cabinet framing. Some of the door fronts were a very nice match, while others were off tone and very noticeable. Ive seen this problem before in other Hosts. It used to be with the lighter woods. This Mammoth had the darker cherry cabinets and it was still a problem.
I wasnt keen on was the lack of cabover storage. This unit had the optional king bed, but that only gives you two cabinets in the cabover, one on each side of the bed. With the queen bed you do get two coffin cabinets which would be a little better.
The things I did like were:
Very roomy and spacious
Outside rear storage bay is huge, with slide out tray.
Very large main area TV for nice viewing from the sofa area
Very roomy bathroom. Both shower and toilet areas were large and easy to get to.
Fold out entry steps are low to the ground and easy to enter and exit.

This TC has potential. All of the negative issues that I noticed could be easily done right. Hopefully Host will get some feedback from owners and be able to correct these areas.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
05btdvw wrote:

X2
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

05btdvw
Explorer
Explorer