cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanent mount for backup camera

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I want to permanently mount my Swift Hitch backup camera on or inside the rear wall of my TC so I can monitor my trailer when towing. I will power it from the TC 12vdc system which means running wiring to the camera. I'd rather have it behind some kind of clear material so the camera doesn't get dirty.

Here's some ideas I've had so far:

-mount it inside the door glass (I'd have to run a power wire across the door hinge and it might look ugly).

-cut a hole in the back wall and cover that hole with some clear material or a small Lexan dome like those used on a security camera.

-just mount it outside and accept the issues that brings.

Any ideas or suggestions?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
6 REPLIES 6

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
gtkata, what brand/model of 7" monitor do you use?

thanks for the tips. It helps to hear from someone with a Swift Hitch camera setup.

gtkato
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Swift hitch II and now the Swift Hitch digital for many years on Travel trailers and Truck campers
The camera has always been outside high on the middle roof area. The camera is totally waterproof and use the silicone cover for the antenna. Just mount the metal plate with silicone or commercial outdoor Velcro and do not use the suction cups. Use a safety clip and nylon cord and clip to metal mount and clip to the camera base just in case the camera jars loose (never happened). The SH II camera runs for over 8 hours before needing charging, and I hook up a 12V plug to the monitor and use the video out on the monitor to a 7" color monitor.
The SH is a great camera setup and can be used also as a security camera at night or backup camera for your truck.
FlyFishn
2017 Cirrus 820 Truck Camper, Torklift, Rear view camera, solar, glow steps, roof rack
2012 GMC "Texas Edition" 2500 HD Duramax, MBRP exhaust, Fuel wheels, Toyo Open Country tires, Sumo springs, Torklift stable loads

rwiegand
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine over the back door.
Cheers, Roger
www.carouselorgan.com
Lance 851
2007 Ford F350, Diesel, Dually Ext. cab

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the tips.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are going to have the monitor on when traveling I would mount it up as high as you can get it and have it pointing down. Otherwise they will pick up headlights from approaching cars at night and your monitor screen will flare out big time...

Something like this google image...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
A little different system than what you are looking at but this is how I permanently mounted my camera. I bought a plastic project box at the electronics store and mounted everything in the box. The box was then sealed and mounted to the camper. You can see that I am getting my power from the running lights so that I can view my boat while running down the highway. It works well and is shielded by the rear cap lip and sun shade.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk