cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photo Bucket...

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
I got an email from Photobucket and they have a change in policy and their plans. Basically if you want to retain 3rd party hosting it will now cost you $399.00 per year. This will have a huge affect on many of the trip reports that we have on this forum including mine.

Is there a solution for this? In 30 days pictures in my trip reports will not be available...HELP!
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon
25 REPLIES 25

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Thanks Cal. I have to let it soak in.

What is your total monthly cost?

Wayne

Less than $7
Cal

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Cal. I have to let it soak in.

What is your total monthly cost?

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
On this subject, I'm about 10 pages into archiving all the remaining photos (some people have removed their albums from Photobucket already) from the Avion thread so they can go to a new host
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
cewillis wrote:
I pay $6/m for my private web site hosting.

I am dumber than a boot on this subject, could you provide more information.
Wayne

Be glad to do so, but I really don't know what you need. So to start --
1) Find a domain registrar, such as https://www.godaddy.com/ , and pick a name for your domain (such as Reddog1.com) . There will be a place to enter your preferred name, and they will tell you if it's available, and how much per year to register. Then you own the name on the Internet -- as long as you pay the annual fee. $10 - $15.? Your website will be www.Reddog1.com period -- without included advertising for anyone (which was of interest to me).
2) Find a web hosting service, such as HostGator or LunarPages. I use LunarPages. They will have multiple options available, with varying amounts of storage space, bandwidth, number of email accounts, and server availability (access speed). I get basically unlimited space and email accounts and pretty decent access speed for ~$6/month by agreeing to a 3 year term. (I've been with them for more than 10 years)
3) 'Develop' your website. On one hand, this requires an HTML editor and some knowledge of HTML - hypertext markup language, THE basics of the WWW. Having some experience, I did this to write and maintain a very simple, mostly picture site, while making extensive use of a shareware program I found to organize the pictures and navigation.
On the other hand, there are probably hundred's of free/cheap wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) web site development programs available. Just search 'web site builder' or similar. These allow 'drag 'n drop' development -- sort of. The web host company you pick will probably provide a builder program or templetes. Find one, and try it before doing steps 1 and 2.
A third alternative, or supplement to the first alternative, is to find a web site you like, steal it, and change it to suit yourself.

What else? Questions?

And btw, NEVER!!! put something on the Internet without having two or three backup copies -- if it's anything you care about.
Cal

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I think I pay around $120 per year for my own domain with my own server through godaddy. I run Coppermine to share photos. its not hard, you really don't need to know how the app works, they even have "auto update" setting to keep the hackers from getting into your stuff if the application has updates. its a "click" to install it. There help desk is great.

That is unlimited bandwidth, unlimited storage. I even have email setup where I 10 mail accounts I share with my family. mail comes right to there computers of phones.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:

I uploaded over 300 photos from my vacations on imgur.
The only complain is that they all go on single page, so when you are on slow net, it is taking a while.

On my imgur account I created albums, 15 I think, so pics aren't in one huge folder. Then selecting 'all images' after logging in, selecting a folder it displays thumbnails. If you go in directly to an album view from log-in, yes, it displays all photos full size one after another-like a overly long blog. Painful.

Any attempt/method to circumvent p/b lockout doesn't take long for them to 'fix'.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Reddog1 wrote:
Photomike wrote:
...If you can get a basic website and do the hosting on there, then you have full control. Only problem is that when you stop paying they will be gone as well.
Even if you pay, they can still drop you.

If you own your own website you own the URL and if a web host drops you you can move your files easily to a new host. Most hosts won't drop you as they need the business.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Photomike wrote:
...If you can get a basic website and do the hosting on there, then you have full control. Only problem is that when you stop paying they will be gone as well.
Even if you pay, they can still drop you.

1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes this had become a HUGE pain, I have seen thousands of threads on forums about many different subjects that are now without pictures.

Honestly ANY free hosting will do this in the future as they cannot afford to pay for the bandwidth that it takes to run their servers when millions or billions of hits are being recorded per day to download pictures. The sites that are charging a small fee will also be forced to up their prices if they get too busy - success is the killer here.

If you can get a basic website and do the hosting on there, then you have full control. Only problem is that when you stop paying they will be gone as well.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Yup, p/b broke the internet. Suprised you only now were notified. There is no 'fix' to continue seeing the linked p/b pictures unless you pay the ransom fee. There are many options moving forward. Requires effort on your part to change links from p/b to new host site.

Initially I opened an account with Imgur.com, free simple IF you have a backup of photos stored on p/b. IMO The provided Imgur quick link works for simple one time uploads, but to access again, storing etc an account should be opened. I have multiple photo backups but I was able to download all albums from p/b to keep album structure. (It appears, at least on my p/b account, now you cant even download entire albums? insult to injury).

However I ended up also going to Smugmug.com. Primarily, though cost involved, it keeps original file names which simplifies re-linking older posts.

On older threads that are closed that you cant edit, there is no 'fix' to keep pictures alive.
Threads that are not closed and you can edit, you can relink pictures to new current host.
Thanks for the detailed reply. Not sure i want to rebuild picture links with a new host. Seems like a lot of work just to get a email from the new host that their policy has changed too. Wish there was a way to preserve these things...even the older ones with out having a private server like Cal does.

Thanks to all for the reply's and suggestions.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Yup, p/b broke the internet. Suprised you only now were notified. There is no 'fix' to continue seeing the linked p/b pictures unless you pay the ransom fee. There are many options moving forward. Requires effort on your part to change links from p/b to new host site.

Initially I opened an account with Imgur.com, free simple IF you have a backup of photos stored on p/b. IMO The provided Imgur quick link works for simple one time uploads, but to access again, storing etc an account should be opened. I have multiple photo backups but I was able to download all albums from p/b to keep album structure. (It appears, at least on my p/b account, now you cant even download entire albums? insult to injury).

However I ended up also going to Smugmug.com. Primarily, though cost involved, it keeps original file names which simplifies re-linking older posts.

On older threads that are closed that you cant edit, there is no 'fix' to keep pictures alive.
Threads that are not closed and you can edit, you can relink pictures to new current host.

There was a fix that I posted and it worked for last few weeks, but looks like as of yesterday PB fired back with new software.
As always there is hackers war who will get ahead tomorrow.
I uploaded over 300 photos from my vacations on imgur.
The only complain is that they all go on single page, so when you are on slow net, it is taking a while.
Otherwise you can easy enlarge them. That is how PB was years ago, so can we expect imgur will start sending the bill down the road?

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Testing google photos

'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cewillis wrote:
I pay $6/m for my private web site hosting. That includes the site plus mail servers, and other services that I don't use. Other host companies charge less.
Images on my site belong to me, and will never be arbitrarily moved, changed, or deleted. Links to the images, pdfs, and other things, can be used on rv.net and most all other real web sites.
May be too much for some, but it's basically trouble free and worth it to me.
I am dumber than a boot on this subject, could you provide more information.

Wayne