cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up new camper

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
After years of looking, researching, discussions and budget analysis, we have finally pulled the trigger on a 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. She's a beauty! we decided we wanted to pay cash and not finance a camper so we were looking at used ones. We went to a dealership that had a very nice looking stored indoors 2004 jayfeather for 6200. we drove 1.5 hours only to find that it was sold! the salesman we were dealing with in the past was not there and we talked to a different guy. He had the sales manager come out and we told him we were a little upset with the other guy because he knew we were coming and he knew what we were looking for and he didn't tell us that camper was sold. So they showed us a few trailers that were junk to me. and then they hit me with the Jayco. This was just what we were looking for. so I asked how much and he said it's on sale for 10,999 I told him why are you even showing this I told you i'm not spending over 8,000. He said lets go back to the office and talk because i think i can get this into your price range. Well, I doubted it but ok. He ran the numbers and said at 10999 out the door would be something close to 12,500. I grabbed my keys and told my wife let's go, and told him thanks for wasting our time. He said hold on please, how about you make an offer, I told you I think I can get it into your budget. so I wrote on the paper $8500 with a hitch. so he took it to the manager and he came back with $8500 with out the hitch, $9,000 out the door with the hitch. I immediately thought whats wrong with this trailer that they are going to drop it 3500 bucks but this thing is nice. Long story short...We are picking it up on Wednesday. Here are a few pictures.

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end
21 REPLIES 21

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats!!!!

I wouldn’t worry about the Pentestar too much. It’s the best engine Chrysler has made since the slant 6. Just let it rev. It will do fine, just keep it maintained and keep your speed down. I tow about 57 MPH.

Thanks and good luck no matter what you decide.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the UP as much as we did last year. Where are you staying?

We are staying at newberry campground. we'll be going to tahquamenon falls, white fish point shipwreck museum and probably head up to munising.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH. Towing with a 2020 F150 supercrew 4x4 with a 5.0L V8 and 3.55 rear end

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats! Hope you enjoy the UP as much as we did last year. Where are you staying?
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
It took me a year but I just picked up a 2020 F150 with the 5.0 v8 3.55 rear end. Tows the camper soooo much better! Going to the U.P. next weekend. really looking forward to this trip with a much better tow vehicle.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Very happy for you and nice unit there.
They owed you one for they're negligence.

LoudRam
Explorer
Explorer
jotityra wrote:
thanks everyone. Now soon my next purchase may be a different tow vehicle. I have the Ram 1500 with a 3.6L v6 and it's rated to tow 7340lbs as it has the 3.55 rear end. but in the 1.5 hour ride home I'm not sure if i'll be happy with it. Takes a lot of revving. It got up to speed ok, it could have been worse, but I had no camping gear loaded up yet. I'm wondering how they get the towing numbers, seriously. I had a 2003 f150 with a 5.4L that was rated to tow 8000 and I towed a coachmen at 6500 loaded and I could tell that it was back there with that truck. this truck will do it, but i dont think it likes to.

Yep, time for a Hemi. Rated 8600lbs with 3.55 gears. Plenty of power for my TT. It's 7200lbs loaded.
Todd
Desert Storm Vet (US Navy)
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Quad Cab Express 4X4 5.7 Hemi 3.92
2021 Coachmen Spirit Ultra Lite 2557RB

If you can read this thank a teacher
If you can read this in english thank a vet

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
afidel wrote:
Nice looking unit. $8500 is about right for that unit, $20k new, 5 years old, they were probably hoping to sell it for closer to $10k but better to take the cash now then let it sit on the lot another 3-4 months, or worse have it on the books at the end of the year. Just think of how little they have the previous owner on trade-in if they could sell it to you for that and make a profit.

Or it could have been a consignment sale and not a dealer inventory unit. Either way looks like a good catch. And free and clear always a good thing.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The difference is that your pushing a lot of wind with a high walled TT. Tow ratings are calculated pulling a flat trailer with weight. On the other hand, gas engines make their power at high RPM's but I understand where you are coming from on the constant engine revving.

Nice TT by the way - I'm sure that you'll get lots of enjoyment out of it.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new acquisition!
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone. Now soon my next purchase may be a different tow vehicle. I have the Ram 1500 with a 3.6L v6 and it's rated to tow 7340lbs as it has the 3.55 rear end. but in the 1.5 hour ride home I'm not sure if i'll be happy with it. Takes a lot of revving. It got up to speed ok, it could have been worse, but I had no camping gear loaded up yet. I'm wondering how they get the towing numbers, seriously. I had a 2003 f150 with a 5.4L that was rated to tow 8000 and I towed a coachmen at 6500 loaded and I could tell that it was back there with that truck. this truck will do it, but i dont think it likes to.
here we are picking it up at the dealer

here it is at the house, because I thought the 5th wheel made it look too small :B

jotityra
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. We can't wait to get out traveling again.

6_2Superduty
Explorer
Explorer
That's the way to bargain.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Now you know what kind of markup they try to get on those.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy your Jay Flight 26BH. You might want to consider joining the Jayco Owners Forum too.