cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor frame design

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Just traded a 2016 Crossroads Zinger Z1 252BH for the TT in the signature...

I didn't realize until after the Crossroads purchase that it has a poor frame design...instead of the hitch coupler coming straight out of the trailer frame rails, the coupler is underhung from the frame...the only advantage I can see is it makes it easier to step over the hitch when hooked up...the big DISadvantage is that it sits so low that there's only about six inches or less of clearance between the bottom of the hitch and the roadway...w/d bars scrape on every intersection 'dip', every gas-station entrance with an incline, etc....that's a big reason I decided to ditch the Crossroads...

something to be aware of when looking at units
------

Interesting...I just looked at the current Zinger line, and it appears they've changed to a 'straight from the frame' coupler rather than the previous underhung design...guess I'm not the only one who saw this as an issue
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
11 REPLIES 11

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it means anything. It's how well they build the frame period. Why they do what they do is anyone's guess since both types are on many different styles of TT's
JMO but it seems cheaper to weld the A frame under. Labor wise you don't have to cut holes in the front frame plate for the A frame to go thru and you don't have to weld the A frame there either. Less weld material when placed under the main frame unless the MFG welds in extra gusseting.
Less contact for welds when placed underneath.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
My current TT has the Aframe under the main frame rails. This is a much stronger design than the Aframe that comes straight out from under the trailer. My TT has an 11k lb GVWR which is why it has that design. Our previous TT had a 7k lb GVWR and had the A frame that came out from the front of the trailer. I think the difference is how the trailer frame and suspension is designed. Some trailers sit higher and need the lower mounted Aframe. Others sit lower and don’t require that low mount Aframe.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
My neighbors 2016 Sonoma 28RK has the A-Frame hitch assembly welded under the trailer frame. My Whitehawk 28RL is welded into the trailer frame at the same level. Both trailers have the axel below the springs. He tows his with a 2500 RAM (2016) 6.4 gas 4x4. I tow mine with a 2500 RAM (2018) 6.7 Cummins. His hitch is lower be has never had an issue with hitting the road. I dont know which construction is better.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
goducks10 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Personally, I think the design of being under the frame is much stronger and less likely to bend if the hitch hits the ground hard.
I've had both and prefer the latter.
I can understand it being too low for some trucks though.

Arctic Fox with it's "Off road rated frame" alway puts it under.

I dont see any of Northwoods trailers with the A frame under the main frame. Nor on Outdoors RV. Both run the A frsme thru a front frame member. You can see it in the ORV frame video on their site.

DITTO.

I have never seen an under the main frame "A-frame" on any Northwood or ORV unit. I've owned 3 Northwood TTs (a 2003 DF, and 2016 Nash and currently a 2015 Nash), my parents have owned 3, a friend owns one currently, and another friend owned a 2000 22H.... all had the A Frame connected directly inline with the main frame.

I did RV transport for Northwood for a handful of units and never saw an A-frame under the main frame. I kind of hated transporting their units because they sat so tall.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jolvi
Explorer
Explorer
Believe he is talking about Norco Nextgen Frame.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Usually such units have axles that are under the springs. Units where the a frame goes thru, have axles over the springs... It it is done this way, they will be about the same in ground clearance.

It sounds like your TT had a mismatch. Maybe they got a good deal that way.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
I feel like not everyone is talking about the same thing. This thread needs pictures!
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Personally, I think the design of being under the frame is much stronger and less likely to bend if the hitch hits the ground hard.

I dont see any of Northwoods trailers with the A frame under the main frame. Nor on Outdoors RV. Both run the A frsme thru a front frame member. You can see it in the ORV frame video on their site.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
My Coachmen is made that way too, I assumed it was because the frame sits high so the flat floor slide will clear the tires. The A frame is not unusually low, no issues with hitch ground clearance.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

That's the way my TH TT are, under the frame. I believe it's stronger as well. The TH sits above the wheels (no wheel well) so hight is not a issue.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad