cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable generators...What brand?

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I am looking to purchase a portable inverter generator. Want one to run my Lance TC with a 11,000 BTU Dometic penguin roof AC. Now the AC unit on my Lance runs off a regular outlet in my garage with 30 to 15 amp adaptor and extension chord. I know the best choice is the Honda 2000i or a Yamaha EF 2000iS but has any fellow TCers owned or used any of the other less expensive brands like the Hyundai hy2000si 2200 watt, the Champion 73531i 2000 watt inverter, the Powerhouse ph21pri 2100 watt inverter, which I think camping world sells, or the Kipor Ig 2000 watt generator.
33 REPLIES 33

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Yes Yamaha's are good too but what model AC and BTU is it in your Adventurer?

Sitting_Bull
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had good luck with Yamaha. I had a 2400 and now the 2000. Never had a problem
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Crew Cab, 4x4, Automatic, 4:10 1997 Adventurer Slumber Queen 10.0 FWS, with Stable-Lift
And one beautiful wife.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
sky_free wrote:
I used to run my 2012 Dometic 13.5K on the TT with a Honda 2K. Had to install the Supco cap though. Make sure you get the right one.

The thing I wanted to say was that even the Honda 2K is horribly loud when running the A/C at full capacity. It's also fairly disturbing to hear it struggle and almost shut off every time the A/C compressor is triggered. This is a very unpleasant scenario, so I think I'd rather sit outside in the shade personally. I never used the AC/Gen setup unless I was doing some work on the TT in the storage lot and it was really hot out. I would not consider using that setup trying to relax when camping, but that's just me.

"hear it sruggle.."

That can easily be fixed, search for:

Time Delay relay.

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
My wallet voted for Honda. I am NOT a Honda fan boy. My first intention was to buy a Yamaha, but none could be found. My parameters included buying from a local shop (I buy stuff off the web almost daily, but not this purchase). It appears Yamaha, or perhaps their dealers, drove me to Honda.
If I had purchased a Brand-X generator and it failed when I need it, I'd be just as PO'ed if it were the Honda I bought. Maybe more PO'ed because I cheaped out and got brand-X. The driving force in my decision against Brand-X is my perception
of customer support and availability of parts. Now, and in ten years. I don't plan on buying a replacement generator for a long time.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Honda or Yamaha, the rest are want to be's
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
I used to run my 2012 Dometic 13.5K on the TT with a Honda 2K. Had to install the Supco cap though. Make sure you get the right one.

The thing I wanted to say was that even the Honda 2K is horribly loud when running the A/C at full capacity. It's also fairly disturbing to hear it struggle and almost shut off every time the A/C compressor is triggered. This is a very unpleasant scenario, so I think I'd rather sit outside in the shade personally. I never used the AC/Gen setup unless I was doing some work on the TT in the storage lot and it was really hot out. I would not consider using that setup trying to relax when camping, but that's just me.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Well I am going to keep looking for now. Had enough cash to buy a new Honda 2000 new Yamaha 2000 thinking it would run my 11,000 btu AC. Looking for slightly used more watts generators now. Just do not want it to be to loud. Will be staying in campgrounds mostly with hook ups on this trip and being in upstate new York might not need AC to much.

wwest
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
I wonder if a hard start capacitor might help things. On some A/C units it can help a lot since it helps with the initial inrush current. Others, may not help much.

Possibly NOT. If the problem is that the genset's power output capanility cannot "rise" quickly enough for the A/C compressor motor start-up high inrush current then a "hard start" capacitor might even increase the problem. Adding capacitance to the start winding actually lowers the circuit impedance thereby INCREASING the inrush current level.

Shorter start-up time, but higher instantaneous POWER requirement.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned a Generac 4000XL for 4 or 5 years. Will run any single AC with no problem. Max surge 5kw.

http://www.aboutgenerators.com/generac-4000xl.html

You will have to find it used but for the $200 I paid well worth it.

It does eliminate the question of will it run your AC. Not as quiet as the Honda or Yamaha Gen sets.

mike_mck
Explorer
Explorer
okan-star wrote:
OH yea forgot to say the penguin did run fine on the onan 2500 k gen the camper came with but I sold that too , used to much propane

The 2.5 KW Onan in my 96 Caribou will run my AC and Microwave at the same time. TC carries 14 gallons of Propane. Have not had an issue with Propane usage but have been told with AC on it uses a bunch. I have not really tracked it and have never run out. I usually only run AC for a couple hours at a time

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
turboo wrote:
I have Yamaha EF3000ISE with a remote start/stop. It has some kind of "A" plus emissions rating. I installed it on the trailer tongue and run a twist lock power cord to the camper wired direct. You can it all day long on the road if you want. Very quite. Or without the trailer it can be put in the hitch basket.

I have the same model. If you stick it on a hitch basket, get a cargo carrier with a folding ramp. The remote start is nice, and 8-16 hours of run time per tank is decent. Only downside is its size and weight. However, for running an A/C, I've read that the most efficient a generator runs at is about half load, and that is almost exactly where a TC's A/C would run at with this 3000 watt generator.

turboo
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha EF3000ISE with a remote key fob electric start/stop. It has some kind of "A" plus emissions rating. I installed it on the trailer tongue and run a twist lock power cord to the camper wired direct. I can it all day long on the road if I want. Very quite. Or without the trailer it can be put in the hitch basket.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
okan-star wrote:
I had a Penguin 11000 on my 97`lance legend 500 , Honda 2000 a my house @ 2800 ft elv would not run it , would start it sometimes , but after head pressure built up in the compressor the Honda breaker would pop, that was with no convertor or anything else running
Tried a supco spp6e, helped a little , but still would not run
The penguin is 13.7 amps total if I remember, I sold it for 350.00
The new mach 8 cub is 11.7 total
The polar cub with R-410a Freon was 11.5 total
The old good polar cub "D" series was 8.9 total
You need a bigger gen , to run your AC
I changed my AC to a new colman mach 1 power saver
Its 9.5 total, it runs well in eco mode at elevation and with the converter on , its as low an amp one made now, but its not low profile
Thanks okan-star. Good to hear someone who has the same AC. also Thanks for all other members input.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if a hard start capacitor might help things. On some A/C units it can help a lot since it helps with the initial inrush current. Others, may not help much.