cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable ice maker, anyone have one of these?

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
Insignia™ - 26-Lb. Portable Ice Maker

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-26-lb-portable-ice-maker-black/5466501.p?skuId=5466501&cmp=RMX

I have a $100 bestbuy gift card I have to use so naturally this is good fit but at the same time I'm not going to get it if its garbage.

I never had a portable ice maker and wanted to also know how long it would take for it to put out enough ice to keep a 30 pack of beer cold in a 48 quart cooler. I know temperature would make a difference outside but roughly.
19 REPLIES 19

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using a large Mr. Freeze (Made by Maxi-Matic) for about 10 years. It works great. Lots of ice, fast. Downside is they are loud and the ice does melt. Cleaning the ice maker is a chore too. I believe Maxi-Matic makes most of the various branded models. I was able to order a replacement for a cracked drain plug without too much hassle also.

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new Avalon Bay ice maker... it's very similar to the link you added from best buy... It also producesee 26 lbs of ice per day in 2 different sizes cubes. I had to delay my rv travels due to a squirrel... lol... so ive been playing with it at home and testing it out... I will say for ice in drinks ect, it will work great. However to fill a cooler full of ice will be very tasking. You would have to stay on top of dumping out the ice every 8 to 10 minutes...and I just don't see the cold ice lasting long enough to stay on top of it... however if you prefilled the cooler with ice and just used it to top it off... this might be possible... but once again your a salve to the ice machine. I personally have 2 freezers in my rv.. and really would just use it for drinks, and can make enough to store while I'm out on adventure.. The ice mine makes is hard not soft at all... once again... if you stay on top of it...Hope this helps...

al7601
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled the trigger, thank you everyone

mhardin
Explorer
Explorer
I've had about six of them before I ended up with two that work. The others were replaced under warranty. From what I've seen, I think they are all made by one or two companies and branded for the distributors.

The two I have now, one for the house and one for the trailer work great. I've had them both for a couple of years now.
2013 Ford F-350, 4x4, Crew Cab, Long Box.
2001 Jayco Eagle 266 FBS.
2014 Heartland Elkridge 37 Ultimate.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have one. Got it on sale at Shopko. I love it. The only thing is when we put the ice it makes in the freezer, since the "cubes" are a little wet they freeze in a clump. It is the only thing the better half does not like. However, if you put it in gallon zip lock bags, you can drop them on the floor to break up.

I too use bottled water to keep the hard deposits out.

Since you have a gift card that will almost full pay it, go for it.
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We purchased one made by Igloo. Worked great for about a year and a half. We will be purchasing another one but not a Igloo brand.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
We have the small dometic and it does what we ask it too. If I remember correctly it will produce around 22 lbs of ice per day with cubes coming out every 8 mins.

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two over the years. One quit and the other was tempermental. We winter in Florida. We found the ice to be "soft"and seemed to melt quickly. We emptied the maker into gallon zip lock freezer bags and kept in freezer. Was a pain to keep making ice. If we were away from fiver, the ice would melt in maker. We finally bit the bullet and went to buying 10# bag and keeping in freezer. Life is better. If ice is low in freezer at nite, we make note to get another the next day. Cost of the ice is a non issue.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I bought one this year at Home Depot. Tee controls are a bit different, but it's the same shape. It works great. One the one I have, the controls are on the top, making them easier to see.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We have had ours for about a year and love it. One of the best investments we have made.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
I have had one for 6 years in the camper. Cannot remember the brand, but is heavier than the newer ones on the market. Do know I paid only 79.00 at Target just before Christmas.

Sharon

MKirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Dometic small. It is makes more then enough for the two of us and our drinking habits. We end up putting a lot in the freezer the night before we have to leave a campsite, so we will have ice the following day. We love it!

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always wanted to get one... This is first thing I make a trip back to town for - "Honey go get some ice" she says... "Yes dear"

Even when we are way back back in the woods somewhere...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

djousma
Explorer
Explorer
We have had one similar(makes the same cubes) for over 10 years now, and its been worth every penny. Always have plenty of ice. The only downside for all of these is that they aren't a freezer too, so as we make ice, we bag it up, and throw it in the deep freeze for use the next day.
Dave
2016 F350 Lariat 4x4 FX4 SRW CC SB 6.7 Magnetic Metallic
2017 Forest River Cardinal 3850RL