cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Overland Expo respite to the OBX: pics

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....after a rather hectic, exciting and info-filled 1.5 days at Asheville, we decide to take a "shart brek" at the Outer Banks (OBX). The Hwy 12 running through the north sector of the OBX sand bar took a real beating this Fall, weathering several tropical depressions. Several sections of road were being re-built.

Our evening, camped 25 feet from Pamlico Sound, just north of Salvo:

I'm up at 5 AM, and in an hour, trekking the Atlantic side of the sand bar:

...destruction still evident along the sand bar near Rodanthe, where the water on the Sound side overwashed to the Atlantic side, this Fall:

...more to follow.

Sand & Dunes
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou
12 REPLIES 12

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Hodag:

Thanks for the recommend! We would have gone to see Copper Sky, however, we're back now.

Cheers,
S-
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Hodag1
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of mine Copper Sky AKA Heather Vidal regularly performs at Jerrys Seafood.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
These are photos of the 12 after Oregon Inlet (sand barrier mitigation, and road construction):

This is a photo of the 12 where the seawater is nearly at the road level (just inches away), during calm weather:

Here Dunes and I are breakfasting at the Blue Sea Cafe, in Lewes, Delaware:

Silversand reads about the history of Lewes, in the Cape Region; the site of the first European settlement in what today is Delaware. Founded in 1631, the initial small whaling colony was wiped out by Natives in 1632, and re colonized by a group of Dutch Mennonites in 1662. Skipping forward, the US built Fort Miles on Cape Henlopen, just south of Lewes; from Wiki, "It was one of the largest and most heavily armed coastal fortifications ever built."

A view of "Old Lewes" port from bridge (taken by Silverdunes):

Images around old Lewes:

Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Skip !! We are already north of the 45th, but appreciate your kind offer!

We did the entire Eastern Shore on the way north. We passed by the entrance to Assateague, however the wind and rain were sideways at the time.

Moorehead City:

Nice. I have the electronic navigational ENCs for the entire east coast; however, your recommend for that deep draft craft sounds pretty solid vis intracoastal nav!

Gonzalo:

....max sustained right at this moment is ~125 knots (Cat 4); looks like it will absolutely flatten Bermuda (I really hope it doesn't, but looks like the wall will go right over the Island!)...bad timing for your son, however, probability to approach the Eastern coast looks weak.

Gonzalo should REALLY stir up the Barrier Islands; hope the effects don't breach the Highway 12 mitigation! Also, the Canadian Maritimes will experience some very bad action, too.

Cheers,
Silver-
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....once on the island traveling south from Nags Head/Manteo (are you entering from the north? Or, Ocracoke side?), you may encounter water (brine) along certain stretches. This is dependent on tide (and wind/rain) conditions. This is on the stretch of 12 south or Oregon Inlet. Also, there is significant road re-construction going on between Oregon Inlet and Rodanthe where intermittent north/south traffic is sometimes stopped (not always), to allow alternating traffic to proceed; also some areas of road re-build are orange coned for a few miles, so take it easy there, too.

Also, go slow over the temporary bridge made up of weighted steel plates (I think it is called the new inlet bridge; someone correct me if I'm wrong).

When we left Rodanthe region for the North, we left at 5 AM to avoid any traffic issues...
Silver

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
Lo' Silver, Lovely pics, the sunrise scene is killer!

My son, as I write, is departing from Morehead City as a delivery Captain on a 60' racing sailing vessel, bound for Palm Beach. They have been awaiting the passage of that nasty front which went through your position yesterday. He's convinced Gustavo the Cat 4 hurricane will stay East on course to Bermuda. He told me this morning, as they cleared the jetty, that the wind was Westerly, flattening the swells. He asked me how far off would he have to go to round Frying Pan Shoal. I've never been round FPS, and never will be. That's why the ICW exists. He'll have to touch a key on the GPS for that info.

The draft on the race boat is evidently to deep for the Intercoastal. Only the depth of the sand on the dunes is of any concern to we, the TC cruisers, to determine how much we air down.

If your north bound on I-95 or 83 and, if you wish, please PM us we will be honored to offer an overnight spot in the driveway. We are an easy spot to reach from the Interstates.

Love to all,

skip
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

NHRA_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
Any issues traveling down? We are heading to Rodanthe from Indianapolis tomorrow in our coach.

Thanks.
2013 American Coach Revolution pulling a
2015 Stacker housing an
Alky Injected BBC Front Engine Dragster and two Junior Dragsters

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
....not all fun and sun why we are here at the OBX: we want to gauge the effects of this very strong full moon tide on Hatteras Island.

We will see what happens tonight/tomorrow vis tidal flooding.
Silver

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bryan:

I hope you get that Jeep issue straightened out. Let me know how this is panning out for you.

Dunes and I were just discussing the Expo again last evening, and how much we enjoyed our get-together with both of you (and, your interesting lecture).

Got up early this morning to see the "red moon eclipse"; that was exciting. I wish my photo thereof had turned out better (shot without tripod).

Cheers,
S & D
Silver

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Looks a bit more relaxing than last weekend. We did our best relaxing at an RV park near Fletcher and are working at researching Jeep fix. Could be worse, we could have a schedule to keep. Enjoy that ocean-front guys. Great meeting you at OX East.
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

CptnBG
Explorer
Explorer
Don't tempt me. :B
'03 2500HD CrewCab SB 6.0 Gas 4x4
'04 Northstar Laredo SC
Bilsteins 5100
2014 1500 Silverado 5.3 Double Cab
1951 Chevy 3100
Formally OBXcamper

flht_db
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like Camp Hatteras Sound side, love OBX. Supposed to head down this weekend but may have to cancel. After seeing these maybe not.
2013 Eagle Cap 950
2014 F350 Super Duty DRW Lariat
8 X 22 Wells Cargo Enclosed Trailer for the Bikes
7 x 18 Big Tex Open Trailer for the Jeep or Bikes