cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potential Tire problem?

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
I'm currently traveling through Colorado carrying an arctic fox 811. I just stopped for gas and noticed a slight Ripple in the sidewall on one of my rear tires. I checked the tire pressure and found that it was over 90 PSI. This is after cold inflating them to 80 psi. Is it normal for the air pressure to get this high? Both rear tires were at this level of PSI. I went ahead and aired them down to about 83 PSI. Does anyone think I need to be worried about this?
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.
11 REPLIES 11

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Keep in mind that all tire pressure gauges are not created equal either. The cheapo ones can be off, way off. I use a Milton myself. Dial type
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Right?

Regarding tire inflation, you'll be fine either way. So you had 90 hot at altitude and probably couldn't tell the difference between that and 83 or 77psi honestly.
Max load according to the tire is 80psi "cold" right?
So what's "cold". Sunny side of a truck parked in Phoenix in July? -30 in Fargo?
Point is as long as you are not grossly over or under inflated the rest is either personAl preference or being aired up for the load in general.
Good question though.
I'm in the personal preference category where I try to tailor my psi to the load, but I also rarely, if ever check pressure between changing it (on vehicles with no tire monitoring).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least we didn't get into the Nitrogen debacle / debate. Whew...
2015 Backpack SS1500

Xpd77
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone this makes me feel better. I will Air them up before I hit the road this morning.
2012 F350 SRW Diesel. 2014 Arctic Fox 811. Torklift tiedowns, Fast Guns, and Stable Loads.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen my tires set at 80psi @73 degrees rise to over 100psi when the temps raised to 95* and I had been towing a FW for 300 miles. The pressure rise is actually calculated in the tire design.

Doubt you've done any harm. As said, just air up in the morning and travel on.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
If you set them at the correct pressure cold, they will go up in pressure driving, especially at high altitudes and in hot weather. Tire correctly inflated cold will never increase enough in pressure to be a danger. Never 'bleed' pressure out of a hot tire.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you originally aired them up in Indiana, you will pick up 2-3 psig just due to the higher altitude in Colorado.
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should have never reduced the pressure. The pressure will be below your set point of 80 when the tires have sat all night. Air them back up to 80 and don't be concerned. Warm air (inside) expands), all normal.

A slightly rippled sidewall is of no concern either. Belts slip in the carcass and most all tires will exhibit that at some point, disregard it unless there is a beak in the sidewall rubber, then you have an issue.

Air the tires back up tomorrow morning when cold and continue on.
2015 Backpack SS1500

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Your tires are under inflated. You should not let air out. Inflate them to your desired pressure when cold.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
I am worried that they are underinflated now
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, temp rise causes pressure rise. And also modern tires will have slight Waves in sidewall
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.