cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problem with B&W Companion unhooking from hitch

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
So I have 10 1/2 years and 85,000 miles on my above mentioned hitch. We have been moving slowly to our winter gig while hitting NPs that the wife hadn't seen since she was 8. We have stayed in 27 campgrounds and unhitched at most other than a few overnights on flat sites.

So we pulled into a USACE park last night, our last before a days drive to our gig park for the winter. Site was not very level. I went to unhook, no big problem. Lowered the front jacks to take the weight off the hitch, hopped in the truck and placed in neutral to take any front/back pressure off of the pin. Got out pulled the safety pin and then pulled the release handle. I always check to see if the jaws have opened sometimes they haven't so I get back in the truck and shift from D to R with just the idle is.

Jaws still closed? Put truck back in neutral, raised the trailer a bit nothing. Lowered the truck still nothing and there is no pressure on the locking lever.

Of course this leaves me with a problem as we are a days drive 280 miles. I have to assume something is broke within the mechanism but does that mean the jaws are closed and unable to open or since their is no presure on the locking lever a strong pull could pull the jaws open and cause a possible disaster.

Any thoughts?
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu
51 REPLIES 51

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a little thing we do around the ranch when hitchin up to a ball gooseneck - after cranking on the trailer up or down and in and out of the truck 50 times to get lined up and trying to reach in a chin high box and cranking a hunnert times to lower a coupler into a "well ball" below the deck on the flatbed

we grin and say "Them kingpin fifth wheels is never gonna catch on..." even if we are by ourselves...

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
All this could be eliminated with the Andersen hitch , no zerks , grease , moving parts . No issues hitching , unhitching . No handles to have to reach for , easy to reach handle . No need for steps homemade or otherwise . Lightweight easy to install and remove. Etc Etc Etc .

The OP has a 20K GVWR FW. When you are towing heavy, you have to have a heavy duty REAL HITCH!!:C

Just for quoted poster's enjoyment, not to offend others.

Jerry

To many stories of rear window and cab damage for me to ever want a fixed hitch in a short box truck. Removing the adapter every time you drop a trailer off for service so the forklift clown does not try to move the trailer around without the proper ball on the end of the fork. Would not want to mess with safety chains either. Just a few of my thoughts on that particular hitch.

I agree, lots of damage to short bed trucks, not necessarily from a fixed hitch, many not using a slider when needed. You do have to pay attention when towing with a short bed regardless.

There is a lot of things I don't like messing with ,but safety chains has never been one of them . As far as dropping off a trailer ,I guess that would be a chore for some ,but I have switched back ,and forth between the two hitches I own , taking off the adapter . I suppose some must drop a trailer off for service a lot for that to be a hindrance. I for one have not had to do that for service, because my fifth wheel is not going to anyone for service . My previous fifth wheel in 12 years went to the dealer 2 times for some warranty ,after that all work was done by me.

Whens the last time you read someone dropping a fifth wheel on the bed of a truck with the Andersen , you haven't . We could go on all day day about the plus ,and minus of hitches . I have towed with both,the conventional ,and the Andersen. As usual, most of the critics ,have not.
Just a few of the thoughts I posted previously ,and on this post , it appears we all have a few thoughts .

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
4X I highly advise you grease that zerk. The shaft supports the entire pin weight.

Done. I guess I needed a prod.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
All this could be eliminated with the Andersen hitch , no zerks , grease , moving parts . No issues hitching , unhitching . No handles to have to reach for , easy to reach handle . No need for steps homemade or otherwise . Lightweight easy to install and remove. Etc Etc Etc .

The OP has a 20K GVWR FW. When you are towing heavy, you have to have a heavy duty REAL HITCH!!:C

Jerry

So no, I would not tow 20K with an Andersen, only because that is what it is rated for . I wouldn't tow any fifth wheel with a hitch thats at its max rating. I wouldn't tow 18K with my Reese Signature, rated for 18K ,and its what you call heavy duty REAL HITCH ๐Ÿ™‚

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:

Jerry

To many stories of rear window and cab damage for me to ever want a fixed hitch in a short box truck. Removing the adapter every time you drop a trailer off for service so the forklift clown does not try to move the trailer around without the proper ball on the end of the fork. Would not want to mess with safety chains either. Just a few of my thoughts on that particular hitch.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
cummins2014 wrote:

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4X I highly advise you grease that zerk. The shaft supports the entire pin weight.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Would that be the folding or bed deflecting model???
Oooooh, snap.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
MFL wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
stickdog wrote:
I keep the hitch greased both the jaw, the zerts,

What is a "zert"?

Just a simple grease fitting, more commonly called zerk. On the B&W FW hitch, it is on under side of hitch head.

Glad to hear the OP's problem is solved!

Jerry

I met a guy with a heavy Mobile Suites and he had a Companion hitch. We started talking and somehow I mentioned lubrication of the B&W, I got the blank stare.....

He had no idea there was a "ZERK" under the head and the mounts the head rides on needed to be lubricated also.

I know another guy with a Companion hitch who has been fully aware of the fact that there is a zerk under the head. In spite of knowing better I've yet to have greased mine ... I do use a little lithium grease on the mounts and have noticed how the head still moves smooth and free. I guess maybe it's about time to grease it.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Would that be the folding or bed deflecting model???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
RTFM ๐Ÿ™‚

Exactly how I found the answer when mine did this after the first oh sh*t.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
RTFM ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use one of those reacher extender 2 finger pistol grip handle dealies to reach in and put the pin in place to hold the handle in the open position.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Another happy ending to a B&W bedtime story!

My custom made bed step makes it a breeze to reach the handle to pin it open on the rare occasion I need to do so.

Well ... EXCUSE US RON ! ! :B

I need to get my arse up on my $11.99 plastic folding stool and use my telescoping magnet to get the pin :C

:R