cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane problem

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
What can be done with a propane tank that is full, but no propane is coming out? When it was being filled the guy had a problem at first. I guess nothing was going in and then finally it started going in. But now nothing will come out. Do I need a new valve on top? Do colder than normal temperatures ( it got down to 26 last night) have anything to do with it? The tank and valve are at least 13 years old.
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
17 REPLIES 17

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you cannot get it to work, put it out in a field and shoot it with a high powered rifle and a FMJ bullet. That will 'dispose' of it in a flash..literally.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, it's a common problem on some tanks...

The valve might be stuck or it's been turned on too quickly and the saftey valve stops the flow.

Try turning it OFF, and slowly turning it back on..

Next would be to drop the tank to drop the sticky valve. If you can, pick up the tank apx 4" and drop it to shake the valve loose.

Having said all that, a 13yr old tank/valve, might just be getting old..
I'd run it by an AmeriGas or propane dealer to have them check it out..

I used to have a litle 3lb, tried to get it filled at 2 different gas/propane stations, no go due to valve. Finally took it to the Propane dealer, filled it right up. No problem-O... He thought is was due to the filling tank pressure.

Also, if the tank "freezes" white condensation on the side would indicate that, the propane inside won't evaporate so that might do it, but if in a camper, shouldn't be that cold...

Hope that helps.

(and yah, what Devocamper said, there's the time on the old tanks, I thought they had a newer safety thing on the newer tanks and stopped filling the older ones..)
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
I am surprised the guy filled a 13 year old tank i think the tank has to be less than 12 years and have the have the OPD type valve on it in order to be refilled, the over fill valve may be damaged or stuck. not sure how you would dispose of a full propane tank safely but if it is 13 years old it needs to be replaced , maybe check with your local fire department about the disposal
mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's