cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Purchase of an RV lot

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Researching the purchase of an RV lot in one of the campgrounds where we routinely camp. Thoughts are that we could on a place to come to any time we wanted. Anyone on the forum done this? If thoughts on the pros and cons?
15 REPLIES 15

SuperiorBound
Explorer
Explorer
When I was a kid my folks did this, and I loved it. It gave me a love of camping and the outdoors.
Not something I would want to do right now as I like to move around and explore and my camper is much smaller than what they had.
Still great memories.

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks jjbirish, good points, especially since this is a new park.

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
most people that claim to have ownership are really the ownership of a share of the corp. that owns the park, although there are some that have deeded sites also but not manyโ€ฆ an association that is owned and run by either the lot owners, or is owned by the lot owners and run by a hired management companyโ€ฆ so you would need to check on the rules for renting out or subletting the lotโ€ฆ

either way the association maintains the common grounds and collects annual dues to pay for the operation and maintenance of the CGโ€ฆ those cost can vary greatly because of location, amenities, and park sizeโ€ฆ

in high destination areas deeded lots (and other types), just like housing, can be very expensive, well into 6 digit figures with high maintenance feesโ€ฆ but in lower traffic locations you should be able to find very reasonably priced lots (below $10,000 for a bare lot) if you really want oneโ€ฆ most allow you to be set-up as permanent or mobile as you want to beโ€ฆ

while cost is important, the most important thing to check is the financial stability of the CG both past and presentโ€ฆ it will tell you how well the park has been runโ€ฆ many deeded lot parks were popular and developed about 35 years ago, and most of those fell on hard times soon after the developer pulled outโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wjohns02 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and the feedback. Just a little clarification, we aren't really looking at the seasonal option or a campground membership but actually buying a site in a private park. The idea would be to use it when we wanted and perhaps rent it out when we were not using it. More of a long term strategy for retirement. We also like to travel to different places when we can. After looking at some today with price tags of $70,000 and up we are rethinking the idea.

The lot in the Escapee park I'm in is basically a life time lease, although I said seasonal, I use it that way as I have a home in Arizona, you own a lease on that lot year round. Many live there permanently and year round. In our park when we are not their you can place it in a rental pool with a percentage coming back to you. You can put a park model on it too if you wanted. The camping club I was in I owned the lot. There are many variations how these type of parks are managed. What I said previously still applies.
Most of us are retired and this is part of our long term strategy. 70K, much more affordable options out there. Good luck
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would have to be a really great place before I would buy a lot. In fact if I wanted another lawn to mow and neighbors I would probably buy a summer cabin in the area.

That said, almost every RV park we stayed at in Florida was at least 1/3rd permanent residents; usually on a lake, ocean or golf course.

So I guess I am the odd-ball.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wjohns02 wrote:
Thanks for the replies and the feedback. Just a little clarification, we aren't really looking at the seasonal option or a campground membership but actually buying a site in a private park. The idea would be to use it when we wanted and perhaps rent it out when we were not using it. More of a long term strategy for retirement. We also like to travel to different places when we can. After looking at some today with price tags of $70,000 and up we are rethinking the idea.
I don't think I would live long enough to use $70K in camping fees.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Wjohns02
Explorer
Explorer

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm on my second seasonal lot, this one in an Escapees park. (seven year waiting list when I made my deposit) Much better than my previous one in a Camping Club. I learned real well from the last one I was in to avoid the politics like the plague, make sure their is transparency with the board, help out as much as you can in the park and be a good citizen to your fellow campers. Have fun and enjoy your visits. Also check to see if any real big cost are coming at you before signing on too. Try a month or so visit also. I only use mine three months a year, cost wise it would be cheaper in my case to do the RV park stuff but it's nice to have when needed.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

shelbyj
Explorer
Explorer
We have a membership to a private campground. It was pretty cheap to buy and the dues are 500 a year. We dont use it as much as we would like right now. Worse case for us is its a cheap place to keep our trailer when we arent using it. There are some less then nice lots and some people push the rules. Overall its a nice place and we are happy with it. I try not to worry too much about what others are doing. We just go there to have a good time.
Shelby
2005 Jayco Jay Feather 26S
2002 Ford F-150 Supercrew 5.4
Kent, Wa

mrkoje
Explorer
Explorer
My take on that is if you want a permanent place for your RV just skip the RV all together and buy a cabin.
RAPTOR 300MP
RAM 3500 MEGA CTD 4X4

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
We found it great for over 20 years in a "Private membership" park. Worked great to drive an hour be out in forest so to speak and just open the water valve and unlock door and be camping. No hooking or unhooking everything is already to go. Nothing getting broke into (sheds or RV's)HAve had 5th wheel at parked for over 20 years.

Then when the economy feel apart things changed and not for better.

Grown kids (20's and on up to over 40's) started moving back home with Mommy and Daddy or, in this case, out to the parents RV.

Now in 2014 (6 years later) they are still there along with their 2 or 3 used cars that they will fix "someday" with their shoes still under the parents dinner table waiting to be feed.

So if you have "bylaws" that can be changed keep a close eye on who or which "Board of directors" is running things.

We loved "our" park until "homesteaders" moved in. So handy to get out of city during our working years.

If your park is owned by private person That is a good thing IMO.

Look around how much dust and dirt are on cars to guess how long you will have to stare at them. Same goes for plastic tarps on RV's that wave in the breeze for years and are "going to fix RV someday". Same way with kids toys, washing machines on covered decks etc.

So the more rules might be more protection for you if ran like a private business.

We also have an "Escapees" lot and don't have any of those problems.

So see what type of management your park has and what your getting into before you get separated with your $$$.

Clean house. The kids are grown. Time to quit changing there diapers . I know it's tough but, they and you, will be better off if you did.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I like the ability to go to different sites on different weekends and do different things. I have some friends that have a seasonal and they are happy with it. It's all up to you, your family, and what you like to do.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
One of my friends did that. She keeps her trailer there. She pays fees to use the pool. She has to go out and maintain the site (ie mow the grass etc). They also gave a boat and lake access there. She loves it. On the other hand, I prefer the ability to move around. It is all in how you like to camp.

There is also the seasonal option where you pay a fee to keep your tt at a campground for the whole season. You could then decide to renew next year or go elsewhere.
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014