cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting the kids on the floor???

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've really enjoyed our 15BH. It's tiny, and we haven't minded. Local weekends and short trips are fine. It was a little cramped for our 42 day trip this past summer, but not miserable.

That said, we are ready to move up a bit in size. We really like the 22RB models with U dinette slide-out.

I feel like the bunks have more cons than pros. First, the kids are growing like weeds and already touch the walls head to toe (they're only 10). Second, the bunks are wasted space when not sleeping, and in a smallish trailer, that's a large portion of real estate. Lastly, as the kids get older, they like sleeping on the couch and floor, even when home.

So here's the question: What do you think about a family of 4 buying a trailer with no beds for kids? I'm thinking that with a slide out dinette, there is enough floor space for kids in sleeping bags. If the weather is ideal, they might even be in a tent. We could always fall back on converting the dinette if they had to have it.

Why? because the floor-plans have such better living space without bunks, and I can see that we're 7-8 years from not having the kids all the time.

Anyone out there putting the kids on the floor? How's it working for you?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
62 REPLIES 62

ed6713
Explorer
Explorer
When we camped with our three daughters, we sleep inside and they slept in a tent.
Thought it was a great adventure.
So did we. 😉

Enjoy your travels.
🙂

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Makes sense to me. If you are worried that it's evil, you could ask the kids their opinions :).
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
How about getting one of the "Outback" models? They have a tent trailer like bed that comes out of the back of an otherwise hard sided trailer.
This would make a great place for them to play when the weather isn't great but not be underfoot like they would be just using the floor.