cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about metal corrosion for a possible repair

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a TT that I bought that had some accident damage to the lower skirting. I need to replace the skirting and am unable to find anything of a suitable thickness. Looked at aluminum flashing at bog box storesbut it's too thin. Galvanized flashing is a more ridgid thickness and could work, but I'm concerned about the 2 dissimilar metals contacting each other since the skirting tucks under the lowest row of the siding on the trailer which is aluminum. Any advice?
7 REPLIES 7

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
sprinklerman thanks for the advice- I got a 50 ft roll of this for about $50 on ebay and it's 3 times what I need, so extra for future jobs. Perfect thickness

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
Check with a dealer. Those pieces are available. I had to replace one on the Cougar after a little accident. It was reasonable cost, already shaped to the correct curve and painted white. Just had to trim to length.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

SprinklerMan
Explorer
Explorer
Coil stock at Home Depot or your local siding distributor . Its Aluminum

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I buy aluminum sheets, panels, and structural pieces at Discount Steel. They are local to me so I visit the yard and try to buy off cuts from the fab shop by the pound.
They do ship and have a fairly complete inventory. Custom cutting is also available and reasonable.

An alternative might be a metal fabrication shop in your own area or a siding contractor if you can use lighter gauge material. Do you know, offhand what gauge you need? I do have some sheet goods here, even vinyl coated.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mobilefleet
Explorer
Explorer
I want to stick with the original look, too much diamondplate on a trailer looks odd. I can use a metal pipe to curl the underside like it was, I just dont want corrosion issues down the road

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
How about aluminum diamond plate.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
The aluminum siding above is probably going to chalk and leave streaks on anything below it. If you paint the galvanized it will probably not show any chalking streaks. You may consider getting aluminum sheets of up to about 12-foot long and 1/4-inch thick, but you'll have to go directly to a supplier to get it, you won't find it in a big box store; and that will probably have to be painted also. I don't think you will have any problems will galvanized metal below if it's painted, depending on how its attached to the aluminum above. Piercing the galvanized coating all bets are off.