cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seasonal camping battery question

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
I have an elx-45 power converter in my trailer. I am on a seasonal site with electric hook up. Should I remove the battery or just leave it. Not sure if I'll damage the battery if it is charging 24/7. Thanks for any advice.
7 REPLIES 7

westend
Explorer
Explorer
13V won't hurt it. Check your electrolyte levels every couple of months.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Hama
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm some say remove and some say leave it. Lol its around 13 volts at the battery when it's plug in. I guess I'll leave it in and hope for the best. Thx

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We're summer seasonal and have been for many years, I've never removed batteries from any rv that we've had. I just check the water level about every 3 months; usually need to be topped off after 6 months (not much). No issues when we're ready to roll in the fall.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
The Elixir ELX series are low quality single stage converters. They are not good for the battery. The good news is that they can operate without a battery connected.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
The ELX-45 is a single stage converter. Constant voltage output. I know, I had one in the last HTT.
I'd remove the battery.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nope. you won't hurt it, and there are "some" RVs that need the battery installed to complete the circuit to make the 12V system work. your lights run off 12V, even when hooked to shore power.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers