cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about storing a TT

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone have any best practice type recommendations on a couple of things when it comes to leaving a travel trailer stored? (Between uses)?

1 - park on boards vs parking on dirt/gravel. Is it a big deal to leave it parked in the dirt, or should I lay down a couple of 2x6s to back onto?

2 - stabilizer jacks down - should I put the jacks down when it's stored? Electric jacks if it matters.

3 - only put down 1 set of stabilizers. Am I causing a problem if I just put down the front stabilizers when it's being stored?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
12 REPLIES 12

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
I leave a covered roof vent open to regulate moisture. Too must moisture and the staples holding the ceiling together will rust and you will have yellow/gold spots in the ceiling. I also use damp-rid and electronic pest control devices.

Otherwise I park on dirt without planks or jacks down.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
It's always best to put the jacks down before you push the slide out, but you'll be fine to push them out to show your trailer off. It's more important to have the trailer fairly level before you attempt to push them out to prevent putting any undue stress on the components. Just make sure you fully extended the slides before you use them.

If you're going to be parked on soft ground for a length of time then boards are a good idea. It'll help prevent the imminent tug of war when you go to get the trailer lol. The jacks aren't meant to support the weight of the trailer, only give stability. They should just be snugged up to the ground. They aren't necessary when the trailer isn't occupied. However, if the trailer is being stored in a wind prone area, putting the jacks down isn't a bad idea.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can put the slide out while the stabilizers are up if you want to. But if your going to be in and out of it, why not put the stabilizers down and leave them? The foot of the stabilizer should be on something hard like a piece of 2X6 or a plastic leveling block so as no to sink and provide a hard surface.

For longer term storage, consider a cover.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, is it generally not good to run the slide out without putting the jacks down? Again, very short term, show it to someone kinda stuff.
B&W Patriot 16K

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I'm on a mostly gravel area, and currently it's on boards. I just got it Saturday so I'm wanting to form good habits. I asked about the jacks because it looked like most of the trailers around me had theirs down, and I asked about front only because the way it sits the rear jacks would go down in mud. Since it is new, we are getting in and out quite a bit, showing it to friends/family and generally wanting to be with it - another reason I figured putting the jacks down was a good idea. I do have 2x6 boards, about 1' long each, to put under each jack.
B&W Patriot 16K

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
If its going to be stored awhile, like more then 3 months, I like to use a bottle jack to put our fifth wheel on 4 jack stands to avoid flat spots and unneeded stress on the tires. It may be unnecessary but it makes me feel good and it may have helped me get more then 12 years on my original set of tires without any trouble. I also like to cover everything to keep the UV damage minimized. I also take the batteries out and keep them in my garage, charging as needed. Good luck! Lee
E.Lee Galik

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
Have had in the past 6 different trailers, all stored on grass, no boards, no stabilizers, no problems.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Short term, just park it.

Long term such as over winter, I put a 2x8 long enough to fit under all tires on a side. The only real reason is to prevent sinking into the ground.

Leave stabilizers up, there is no need to stabilize an empty trailer.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
RavensFan24 wrote:
When I had a grass parking spot, I always put it on wood to keep it off the ground. FL gets a lot of moisture though, so I wanted it to not get sunk into the ground. I'm on concrete now and don't put anything under the tires.

No jacks. No need for it to be stable when no one is in it.

Don't forget to unhook your battery, store it level, make sure all windows and vents are closed up nice and tight (though some like to leave a protected vent open to control inside temp and moisture levels), cover your tires if it'll be stored for a long time. Lock everything up and you should be good.

I concur.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I've been fortunate to have never had to keep my TT in a storage facility.

But, first, regardless, storing at home or storing at a facility, your questions apply to both.

Second, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Do what works best for you and your circumstances, and your attention to detail.

Third, the harder the surface you can park your camper on, the better it is. Not so much because one surface is better for the tires, that's been debated to death. But because of ease to get the camper rolling again, and what happens to the surface directly under the tires.

Parking on dirt only, the tires are subject to sinking in the mud when it rains. Hooking up and pulling out of it's "hole" may be challenging, causing your tow vehicle's tires to start spinning and the camper never moves.

Parking on board is always a good thing, regardless if on any surface. Tires will not sink, but the boards may sink some, especially in soft dirt, mud, rain.

Asphalt parking may cause the tires to form dimples in the asphalt if it gets very hot.

Concrete parking is good, and probably best. But usually concrete parking spots are usually very flat, and water could pool around the tires. Although the tires are rubber, they are still subject to the elements.

So, in my opinion, whatever surface you are storing on, put something under the tires.

About stabilizer's. I always put my down, all of them. I live in a very high wind area, and I want as much surface touch the ground as possible. I did have one camper move on me in the wind. If my jacks would have been down, it probably would have never happened. Jacks down will provide more support, and also help keep a bit of load off the tires. And if anyone attempts to steal the camper, they have to take the extra time to raise the jacks, otherwise they'll end up tearing up something under the camper dragging on the road ... that's attention they do not want.

If jacks are electric, I don't think it matters where they are set. If they are hydraulic, then you probably want them in the best position where there is the least pressure on the hydraulic fluid.

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Common questions, the short answer is that it boils down to personal preference.

1) I park mine on a gravel pad with boards under the tires. More to keep it from sinking when the ground is soft. Been doing this for as long as we've had trailers, since '92.

2) I only keep the stabilizers down in the winter when it's "put to bed".

3) Not sure what keeping only one set of stabilizers down would buy you. Stabilizers are meant to stabilize the entire trailer. Only doing one set would be like standing on one leg, IMHO.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
When I had a grass parking spot, I always put it on wood to keep it off the ground. FL gets a lot of moisture though, so I wanted it to not get sunk into the ground. I'm on concrete now and don't put anything under the tires.

No jacks. No need for it to be stable when no one is in it.

Don't forget to unhook your battery, store it level, make sure all windows and vents are closed up nice and tight (though some like to leave a protected vent open to control inside temp and moisture levels), cover your tires if it'll be stored for a long time. Lock everything up and you should be good.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'