Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R-Vision Trail Lite TCLE-29BHSS

d2tw4all
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,
Been a while since I've posted on these forums, but I'm looking to replace my 2006 Starcraft TT with a 2009 R-Vision Trail Lite TCLE-29BHSS. It has quad bunks in the back and a small slide on one side. My big question is the dry weight they claim it is, stated on the sticker in the cabinet as well as anywhere online I can find they state it's 4166LBS. My 2006 Starcraft is a smaller trailer with no bumps and only 2 bunks and it has a dry weight of 4600lbs. Anybody know if this is some kind of weight shenanigans, if they embedded magic unicorn tears, or if this is legitimately how much it weighs and they really did figure out a way to make them that light? Appreciate any info on this, as if accurate I'll be snapping this baby up tomorrow. I just want to know if it's not accurate, what the real weight is...

Tom
D2tw4all
2006 Starcraft ST 2700BH
2012 Yukon XL
North Smithfield, RI
27 REPLIES 27

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
The best thing about the Trail Lites-Cruisers is the aerodynamics, they cut thru the wind and as the undersides are enclosed or smooth, there is little turbulence. The TC is heavier than the Tahoe Lite we got rid of, but its easier to tow cause the design is slipperier

SoundGuy wrote:
Sorry to disappoint but that's an Old Wives' Tale - TrailCruisers, Trailites, tow no differently than any full height trailer, nor does the enclosed underbelly make any difference at all other than in advertising. If anything helps at all it's that RVision products were generally lighter than anything of similar sizes at the time. I got the same average fuel mileage returns towing our TrailCruiser C21RBH with our 2006 Silverado as I do now towing our similar size but much heavier Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS (with an open underbelly) with our current 2012 Silverado. 😉

d2tw4all wrote:
Playing devils advocate though, you tow with a pickup and we are using SUV’s, which absolutely have significant differences in how they both tow and the aerodynamics involved.

What his this got to do with whether you're towing an RVision trailer or anything else? :h

d2tw4all wrote:
I definitely could see the SUV streaming air differently over the trailer.

How can you possibly see invisible "streaming air differently over the trailer"?? :h
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

d2tw4all
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
The best thing about the Trail Lites-Cruisers is the aerodynamics, they cut thru the wind and as the undersides are enclosed or smooth, there is little turbulence. The TC is heavier than the Tahoe Lite we got rid of, but its easier to tow cause the design is slipperier

Sorry to disappoint but that's an Old Wives' Tale - TrailCruisers, Trailites, tow no differently than any full height trailer, nor does the enclosed underbelly make any difference at all other than in advertising. If anything helps at all it's that RVision products were generally lighter than anything of similar sizes at the time. I got the same average fuel mileage returns towing our TrailCruiser C21RBH with our 2006 Silverado as I do now towing our similar size but much heavier Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS (with an open underbelly) with our current 2012 Silverado. 😉

Playing devils advocate though, you tow with a pickup and we are using SUV’s, which absolutely have significant differences in how they both tow and the aerodynamics involved. I definitely could see the SUV streaming air differently over the trailer.
D2tw4all
2006 Starcraft ST 2700BH
2012 Yukon XL
North Smithfield, RI

d2tw4all
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Recently bought a 2005 Trail Cruiser 26CBQ, supposed to be around 3,000 dry, its the kind with the laminated panels with insulation in between. Weighed it with probably 3/4 of our junk in it and it was 4800 lbs. We don't have 1800 lbs in it. In 2000, we had a 30' long Trail Lite and it was light, couldn't feel it behind our 454 Suburban. The best thing about the Trail Lites-Cruisers is the aerodynamics, they cut thru the wind and as the undersides are enclosed or smooth, there is little turbulence. The TC is heavier than the Tahoe Lite we got rid of, but its easier to tow cause the design is slipperier

Thanks for the reply that’s great info especially the aerodynamics. I was wondering about that, it does look a lot more streamlined than other TT’s. Looking forward to getting mine!
D2tw4all
2006 Starcraft ST 2700BH
2012 Yukon XL
North Smithfield, RI

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Recently bought a 2005 Trail Cruiser 26CBQ, supposed to be around 3,000 dry, its the kind with the laminated panels with insulation in between. Weighed it with probably 3/4 of our junk in it and it was 4800 lbs. We don't have 1800 lbs in it. In 2000, we had a 30' long Trail Lite and it was light, couldn't feel it behind our 454 Suburban. The best thing about the Trail Lites-Cruisers is the aerodynamics, they cut thru the wind and as the undersides are enclosed or smooth, there is little turbulence. The TC is heavier than the Tahoe Lite we got rid of, but its easier to tow cause the design is slipperier
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

d2tw4all
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
d2tw4all wrote:
I went this morning and did a close inspection of the trailer and it looks to be in excellent condition, so I'm going to move forward with the buy.

Just keep in mind this is an orphan trailer and although some will tell you that's not a big deal there will be parts you simply won't be able to get, should that ever be necessary.

Yes I saw that they went out of business, but ultimately it's already a 2009 and in my experience most manufactures don't have anything for 10 year old trailers anyway. Everything inside that is of consequence isn't made by R-Vision (Stove, Fridge, Hot Water Heater, etc.) so I'm not entirely sure what I'd need from them anyway. I've never reached out to a Manufacturer in the past anyway as I've always bought used and already outside of warranty. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Tom
D2tw4all
2006 Starcraft ST 2700BH
2012 Yukon XL
North Smithfield, RI

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
d2tw4all wrote:
I went this morning and did a close inspection of the trailer and it looks to be in excellent condition, so I'm going to move forward with the buy.

Just keep in mind this is an orphan trailer and although some will tell you that's not a big deal there will be parts you simply won't be able to get, should that ever be necessary.

d2tw4all
Explorer
Explorer
These are great replies, thank you all. To be clear, I'm not to the point that I insist they weight it, even if it's 5000lbs my yukon XL can handle it. I was just taken aback by just how exceptionally light a trailer this size could be. Hearing that this was their claim to fame makes sense then, and seeing others with trailers from the same company who did verify the weight to be within 50lbs of the sticker leads me to believe that they did, in fact, figure out how to make a trailer that light. I went this morning and did a close inspection of the trailer and it looks to be in excellent condition, so I'm going to move forward with the buy. I'll be very happy to have actually shed 500lbs and get a bigger trailer out of it! Makes the 1000 mile each way tow from RI to SC every year a little less strenuous on me and my tow vehicle!

Tom
D2tw4all
2006 Starcraft ST 2700BH
2012 Yukon XL
North Smithfield, RI

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
We had an R-vision 23QB that was about 3000lbs empty according to CAT scales. The sticker on ours said 2950 if I remember correctly. So the one you’re looking at could be correct.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

crazyro
Explorer
Explorer
Our ultra lite TT, even though it's 8 ft longer than our old one and has an 11 ft slide as opposed to the 6 ft in the other, weighs almost the same as our 26 footer. The floor and roof are made out of a composite of plywood and styrofoam and uses less wood in the framework. It can be done without the tears of unicorns. 😉

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
d2tw4all wrote:
Appreciate any info on this, as if accurate I'll be snapping this baby up tomorrow. I just want to know if it's not accurate, what the real weight is...

Then make this a condition of sale by insisting the dealer weigh the trailer on a scale. RVision products' claim to fame was their exceptionally light weight, including our 2006 TrailCruiser C21RBH which had a UVW of just 2900 lbs, lighter by hundreds of pounds than any other trailer in this size at the time. A sandwich foam floor was one reason why so although I wouldn't be surprised to see this 29' model's UVW to be so low the only way you'll know for sure is to weigh it. Since this seems so important to you the answer is simple - insist on a weigh scale reading before you sign on the dotted line.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Found a 2012 listed at 4,700lbs dry which I think is probably more realistic. Easiest way to find out is hook it up and take it to the scales. That shouldn't be an issue with a used unit.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Why don’t you ask the dealer if you can weight it locally?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad